mikejcharles9

Default Information Please

I am researching our family tree and have found a relative named John Critchlow born on Bakewell, Derbyshire about 1821.
    He married Mary ??? who was born in Ashford in the water, Derbyshire.
    The family moved to Ecclesall Bierlow, West Yorkshire where John worked as a Watchman. The enumerator has written the word Cutler beside the word Watcman.
    John's daughter, Maria Lilley married Alfred Bonner in Wolverhampton in 1873 and her marriage certificate shows her father John to be employed as a policeman even though the poor man died aged 39 year and the West Riding Costabulary was not formed until after his death.
    I know that Watchmen were fore runners of the Police service but I am puzzled by the addition of the word Cutler. Can you help shed any light on this family, their origins in particular and John's job as Watchman (Cutler), Please.
    Many thanks. Mike Charles

Jo Simpsons

I thought a Cutler was a Knife maker. Not sure how it fits in with watchman unless he had two jobs?

Jo

Jo Simpsons

I always look on here if I'm not sure of an occupation. I think it's really good

https://rmhh.co.uk/occup/c2.html

This lists culter as
    Knifemaker/seller/sharpener
    Jo

Wirral

The word Cutler has been added at a later date & in another hand. You sometimes see categories added, perhaps for statistical reasons. The labourer at the top of the page has had the word Navvie added. The 2 entries immediately below the Watchman were penknife grinders & they have also had the word Cutler added. I presume whoever made the later additions thought that Watchman in this case meant someone who made watches rather than someone who watches.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by mikejcharles9
    I know that Watchmen were fore runners of the Police service but I am puzzled by the addition of the word Cutler.
    A Watchman could just simply be a guard. Perhaps he was a (Night?)Watchman at a large cutlery firm?

There are books which list the occupations in differing census returns. TNA has them in RG27/5

Geoffers