jeanburton

Default cooper; Burton on Trent

My ancesters were coopers at burton on trent where Bass's brewery set up (now Corrs).
    The Brewery cannot help. They say they have no records even at the museum.
    Can anyone tell me where they would all have served an apprentiship or would they just have taken over the work from their father's. This was in the 1700's. Would there be any indentures (is that what they are called)
    Sorry that this is not very clear. I am looking for any help but don't know where to look next. Thanks Jean

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by jeanburton
    Can anyone tell me where they would all have served an apprentiship or would they just have taken over the work from their father's. This was in the 1700's. Would there be any indentures (is that what they are called)
    The men would certainly have served apprenticeships for such a skilled occupation. From 1710, a tax was payable on apprenticeships and these records are held by TNA at Kew - BUT - Thanks you can view the records c1710-c1754 at home, (Returns continue after 1754 but hold less information)

The earlier records contain most information. This consists of Name, father's name and occupation, home town - to whom apprenticed and in what trade, value of indenture and tax paid.

Apprenticeship records were mostly private agreements, so it is unlikely that you will locate a copy of the original indenture - but you might enquire at the County Record Office to see if they have a collection of them.

A qualified Master Cooper might be made a freeman and possibly join a local guild - again check with the County Record Office.

Geoffers

Reputation beyond repute

For a full explanation see the National Archives Research Guide "Apprenticeship Records as Sources for Genealogy" at https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=295

jeanburton

Thanks! will check all your links
    Jean