GEORGE McKEND

Default Lovell Family Of Long Crendon, Bucks

Does anyone have any background information related to my Great Grandmother & her parents & siblings & registration place of her birth, Long Crendon, near Thame. Her name was Dorcas Lovell, born about 1844. She married Samuel Bates in Aston, Birmingham, about 1860.

Geo. McKend
    Jan5, 2006

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GEORGE McKEND
    Does anyone have any background information related to my Great Grandmother & her parents & siblings & registration place of her birth, Long Crendon, near Thame. Her name was Dorcas Lovell, born about 1844. She married Samuel Bates in Aston, Birmingham, about 1860.

Geo. McKend
    Jan5, 2006
    George, do you have the 1851 to 1901 census info on your LOVELL family?

Trish

GEORGE McKEND

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    George, do you have the 1851 to 1901 census info on your LOVELL family?

Trish
    Toronto
    Jan 13, 2006

Trish: I have only found mention of Dorcas Lovell from the 1881 Census onward when, of course, she was listed as Dorcas Bates, along with her husband, Samuel Bate or Bates. I wonder how & when she got from Long Crendon to Aston & if her family moved there with her. She must have married very young. George

Default 1851 Census [can anyone else read the address?]

George,

Here's Dorcas in 1851 [probably]:

1851 Census: HO107/1726 Folio 381 Page 44
    Address: ?Buch Uiag? Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire

John LOVELL Head M 38 Carpenter [born] Buck Le Crendon
    Esther Do WIfe 39 ?Law? ?Mrefean? [born] Do
    Clauper Do Daur U 18 ?Law? [Saw?] Maker [born] Do
    Ann Do Do U 15 Needle Driller [born] Do
    Sarah LOVELL Do 13 Needle Strengthener [born] Do
    Edward LOVELL Son 10 Scholar [born] Do
    Dorcas Do Daur 6 Do [born] Do
    George Do Son 2 [born] Do
    Ann MALLORY Mother ?in law? Widow 77 Saw Maker [born] Bucks

The enumerator's handwriting is difficult to read in spots, so wherever I can't read it or I'm not sure, I have added ???s. The street address is especially puzzling.

HTH,
    Trish

George,

Do you have this birth record for Dorcas LOVELL?

LOVELL, Dorcas
    Birth
    June quarter
    Thame

Buckinghamshire Oxfordshire
    Volume 16

Page 104

Trish

Default 1861 Census

The LOVELL family in 1861 [probably]:

1861 Census: RG9/2183 Foliio 109 Page 30
    Address: Poole St, Aston, Warwickshire

John LOVELL Head Mar 48 Carpenter + Joiner [born] Longprendon Buckinghamshire
    Esther do Wife Mar 49 [born] do do
    Ann do daur Un 25 Pin Machine Worker do do
    Sarah do daur Un 23 do do
    Edward do Son Un 20 Engine Driver do do
    George do Son Un 12 Scholar do do
    Carleb do Son Un 8 Scholar do do

HTH,
    Trish

GEORGE McKEND

Smile Bates (lovell), Dorcas

Toronto
    January 20,2006

Trish: Many thanks for your information regarding Dorcas Lovell, my Great Grandmother. Now it appears clear that the whole family migrated north to Aston/ Birmingham. It also appears that my Grandfather, Caleb Bates, (2nd last of 11 children),was named for Dorcas' brother Caleb, a name that my Grandfather did not like. As a result, he went by the name Arthur after he emigrated to Canada in 1911 with his wife, Frances Sarah (Sharpe) Bates & my mother, Edith Hilda (Bates) McKend. Most of Caleb's male siblings became bricklayers in England, like their father, Samuel Bates.

Thank you again for taking the time to locate & forward this info to me. My belated good wishes to you for good health & happy times in 2006.

George McKend

Leigh Lovell

Hi George

Don't know if you are still on this site, but have just registered ourselves and found your posting from 2006. Dorcas Lovell is the sister of my Great Grandad, Edward Lovell who was baptised in Long Crendon in 1840. When researching Lovells in Long Crendon we assume they moved to Birmingham following the mechanisation of needle making in Redditch, as the Lovells were carpenters and needle makers in the village. Edward married an Ellen Hare, and one of their sons, Alfred married a Sarah Ann Turner. They in turn had a son George who was my father.

GEORGE McKEND

Default LEIGH LOVELL RE EDWARD & DORCAS LOVELL

Toronto, March 11, 2015
    Hi Leigh,
    I apologize for this very belated response to your posting to British-Genealogy.com, June 7, 2013. I have not checked that site for quite some time. Thank you for your info concerning your Grt. grandfather, Edward Lovell, brother to my Grt. Grandmother, Dorcas. Many famillies were overly large in those days & Dorcas Lovell & Samuel Bates, her husband, were no exception with 10 sons & 4 daughters. As far as I can tell, all the sons with the possible exception of George, were Bricklayers, as was their father. My Grandfather, Caleb was 4th from the last child. I'm assuming that he was named after our Lovell Grt. Grandparents last child, named Caleb. My Grandfather married Frances, Sarah Sharpe in 1904 in Aston & 4 children followed, the 2nd being my mother, Edith Hilda Bates who married Thomas, George McKend in Toronto in 1930 & voila....my brother, Robert, Malcom in 1934 & myself 1939. Frances & Caleb immigrated to Canada in 1911. If you should want any other info re my branch of the family, perhaps I could email it to you.

George McKend
    Your tardy distant cousin !