Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GAFFER1

Hi All,
    Looking back through my family tree on the Ships Carpenters/Carpenters pre 1881 Census then later on they had changed to Ships Platers, this was due to the Metal ships being brought into service.

JAP1

Quote Originally Posted by June Welsby View Post
    ... My g.grandfather Andrew Higgie is listed as being a ships carpenter on his marriage certificate and on several of the birth certificates on some of his children in Australia, except for 2 where he states he is a shipwright. Andrew was born in Newburgh, Fife, Scotland; I would still like to find out where he learnt his trade whether it be Dundee or Glasgow. He married in Glasgow in 1870. ...
    Hi June Welsby,

I'm a bit puzzled where Dundee, Angus comes into the equation. Have I missed something?

You say that he was born in Newburgh, Fife and married Jemima MCKAY in 1870 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire at which time you say he was a Ship's Carpenter and was living in Newburgh, Fife.

So why Dundee (in Angus/Forfar, the other side of the Firth of Tay)?

Best regards,

JAP

Geoff Clarkson

Your original post was over 9 years ago, I wonder if anyone is still there.

My father was a carpenter in the Royal navy 1915 - 1943. Carpenters Crew were usually former civilian carpenters who then joined the navy. You could rise up to leading Carpenters Crew (equivalent to leading seaman), thereafter ( as in my Dads case you became a PO (Petty Officer) then maybe chief PO but you became a shipwright then. Friction did arise between promoted carpenters and those who joined and trained as shipwrights who were considered by the carpenters and joiners as 'jacks of all trades' rather than timed served craftsmen. I am happy to forward you a link to my dads audio records which are with the Imperial ar Museum and available online. The interviewer went into all the details of his service in the navy.

I am very happy to help.

Geoff Clarkson

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I was very interested in this thread as my grandfather Arthur James Denney (born in Brightlingsea in 1883) was a ship wright. He did his apprenticeship in London - I found him on the 1901 census living with his older brother Worner and family in Poplar so I presume he worked on/near the docks. East India Docks? He married in 1908 at St Lukes Millwall
    In 1911 he was in Lincoln as a machine erector - what is that? Why would he be in Lincoln?
    I know he was in Edinburgh prior and during the war when he went to Rosyth so he must have been back into repairs etc for the war effort.
    I'd be interested in comments here please.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Shipwrights often moved around the country from dockyard to dockyard. Today there is a news item about the Royal Navy's latest and biggest ever ship arriving Portsmouth with x hundred sailors and y hundred fitters to finish fitting it out.

There's a research guide that the National Archives have that might help you:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ockyard-staff/

People made boats for freshwater use as well, and they had to be repaired/built.

Lincoln has a harbour, also known as Brayford Pool and now more of a marina. Water travel around there goes back to the Romans.

Reputation beyond repute

Why would he be in Lincoln?
    The 1911 says he was an Engineer's Machine Erector in a Woodworks. His occupational classification was 629 - Other or undefined Workers In Engine and Machine Making. One of his lodgers was a labourer in a woodworks.

Lincoln was an important centre of engineering. See Wikipedia.

Incidentally, he married in 1906, not 1908, and his marriage certificate shows he was then living in Lincoln.

What was his occupation on his son's birth certificate?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Had a good read through thanks Megan; I don't think my Grandad was a naval person. If he worked at East India dockyards where else would I look? Will go to the maritime museum and will google East India dockyards when I next have a bit of time.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Mmm good points Peter; was going by memory when I did the post. Harold's birth cert? Don't know - I shall find out... Thanks for your comments

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Several things to follow up thanks to the comments received

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast