bwintonc

Default CHOWN death in Wolverhampton

I'm trying to determine the date of death of Rev. Joseph Leslie CHOWN (he typically went by "J. Leslie CHOWN" rather than Joseph). He was born, 11 Aug 1890, Willesden, Middlesex. I believe that he lived to at least the age of 80, at which time he was still the Baptist minister at Waterloo Road Baptist Church in Wolverhampton. Though my understanding is that the physical church was demolished in 1970. A distant cousin (now deceased) had told me he died in 1971, so that is where I started. I have searched BMD death indexes from March Quarter 1968 through December Quarter 1976 without locating him. However, the December Quarter 1975 that would cover the CHOWN surname appears to be missing from Ancestry.com. I suppose there is a remote possibility that he died while abroad, in which case I would have to hope that somebody who knew him personally is still alive and might remember his death. Other than that it seems more likely that he died in Wolverhampton. Rev. CHOWN was my second cousin twice removed.

willow

It looks like he went to America..
    New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
    Name: Joseph Leslie Chown
    Arrival Date: 17 Jul 1939
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
    Port of Departure: Southampton, England
    Ethnicity/Race*/Nationality: English
    Ship Name: Queen Mary
    Port of Arrival: New York, New York
    Nativity: England
    Line: 22
    Microfilm Serial: T715
    Microfilm Roll: T715_6364
    Birth Location: England
    Birth Location Other: london
    Page Number: 101
    Friend's Name: R C McCoy

bwintonc

Default return voyage?

Thanks, willow, for the lookup. I had in fact run across that record before but I'm quite certain that he did return to Wolverhampton. The ship manifest entry suggests that he was only going to be staying in the USA for 60 days. And he had a wife and at least two children to return to, not to mention his ministry. I would be interested in finding a record of his return voyage but I'm not sure where to look for that.

There are quite a few hits for him in Google Book Search
    https://books.google.com/
    including a few that he wrote! (Enter full name of Joseph Leslie Chown)

One hit for the Registers of St Paul's School show he attended there.

If you can find a library with access to the Times Digital Archive they may well have an obituary
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

bwintonc

Thanks, Sue, for the Google Books references. The St. Paul's register not only mentioned Joseph's admission to the school but also his older brothers, Herbert and John Stanley CHOWN. Since Google hasn't published the actual scans of the books authored by Joseph, I'll have to try inter-library loan to see what he wrote.

Waterloo

bwintonc. I do not know if you are still looking for facts about Rev John Leslie Chown, but I know he was still living in 1975 as he did an impromptu dedication of my son at Atcham on the banks of the Severn where he was attending a wedding. My parents and their parents attended WRBC from the turn of the 20th century till its closure, I and my sibling were dedicated by him. I know that a booklet was produced about his life following his death, he was a well known person in Wolverhampton cycling everywhere on his old bicycle into his eighties, his son was a teacher at Tettenhall College Wolverhampton and I beleive he is still alive.

bwintonc

Thank you, Waterloo, for your update. After four years I had forgotten all about this thread. I did finally locate an entry in the BMD index for the death of Joseph Leslie Chown. It turns out he lived much longer than I had thought. He was 92 and his death was registered in the December quarter of 1982. At this point I will consider my original query resolved, requiring no further replies to this thread.