Russell Powis

Default Whitley family census look up

I am trying to find the wider family of my ancestor Ann Whitley who was born 4 Nov 1846 in Caergwrle to Thomas Whitley and Catherine (nee Roberts).
    I would appreciate if anyone has access to the 1841, 1851 1861 or 1871 censuses for Flintshire could look up the family, who should still be in Caergwrle throughout.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Powis
    I am trying to find the wider family of my ancestor Ann Whitley who was born 4 Nov 1846 in Caergwrle to Thomas Whitley and Catherine (nee Roberts).
    I would appreciate if anyone has access to the 1841, 1851 1861 or 1871 censuses for Flintshire could look up the family, who should still be in Caergwrle throughout.
    Russell,

This looks like your WHITLEY family in 1851...

Address: Caergwrle, Hope, Flintshire, Wales
    [HO107/2502 Folio 102 Page 20]

Thomas WHITLEY Head Mar 46 Labourer [born] Flintshire Caergwrle
    Cathrine [sic] Do Wife Mar 37 Do Do
    John Do Son U 13 Do Do
    Thomas Do Son 11 Do Do
    Jane Do Dar 7 Do Do
    Ann Do Dau 4 Do Do
    ?Jervis Do Son 6 months Do Do

HTH,
    Trish

Address: 10 Charles St., Wrexham, Denbighshire, Wales
    [RG9/4287 Folio 54 Page 3]

John MILLIGAN Head Marr 38 Draper [born] Scotland
    Susan do Wife Mar 39 do
    John do Son 2 Denbighshire Wrexham
    Margaret J. do Daur 1 do
    John FERGUSON Nephew Un 16 Draper's Assistant Scotland
    Henry KIRKPATRICK Serv Un 17 do do do
    Roderick M'DONALD Boarder Un 30 Tea Dealer do
    Sarah EDWARDS Serv Un 23 House Servant Denbighshire Runboro
    Ann WHITLEY Serv Un 16 Nurse Fintshire Hope

Trish

Ann's parents in 1861...

Address: ?Plas-yu-Bwl?, Hope, Flintshire, Wales
    [RG9/4277 Folio 140 Page 21]

Thomas WHITLEY Head Mar 54 Ag Laborer [born] Denbighshire Gresford
    Catherine Do Wife Mar 47 Flintshire Hope
    Thomas do Son Un 21 Coal Miner Do Do
    Jarvis do Son 10 Scholar Do Do

Trish

Address: ?Plaigrbill?, Hope, Flintshire, Wales
    [RG10/3737 Folio 13 Page 21]

Thomas WHITLEY Head Mar 66 Farmer's Labr [born] Denbigh Gresford
    Catherine Do Wife Mar 56 Do Wife Flint Caergwrle
    Jarvis Do Son Un 20 Do Labr Do Hope

And a few households away...

Edward WHITLEY Head Mar 54 formerly Ag Labr Invalid [born] Flint Hope
    Jane Do Wife Mar 49 Wife Denbigh Brymbo
    Robert Do Son 14 Son Flint Hope
    Mary Do Daur 14 Servant Domestic Do Do
    Jane Do Daur 11 Do Do Do Do
    Elizabeth Do Daur 10 Do Do Do Do
    ?Roberta? Do Daur 6 [born] Do do

Trish

Russell Powis

Hi Trish
    That is very helpful.Thank you very much
    I had in fact spotted Edward and Jane before but now it looks as if they could be related.

Maureen McLeod

Default The Whitley family in Caergwrle

My great great grandfather Edward Williams was the base born son of Edward Williams and Anne Whitely. He was born in 1803 and spend his entire life in Caergwrle. He had a grocer's shop and the post office.

I have looked at a transcript of the register of Hope Church and have found several entries relating to the Whitley family. There is a marriage recorded on 31 October 1767 between Jarvis Whitely, a shoe maker, to Anne Lewis and on 22 August 1779 their daughter Rebecca was baptised. In this entry the christian name is spelt as Jervis. Rebecca got married in 1805 and her father's name is then shown as Lewis. Finally on 6 January 1786 Gervas Whitley, shoe maker, is buried at the age of 38 years.

(I am not sure if the four different spellings of the christian name indicate problems with spelling or transcription.)

Edward Williams called one of his sons Jervis and I am inclined to think that this is the correct spelling.

I cannot find Anne Whitley's birth but I will try looking at neighbouring parishes.

My family lived in Caergwrle until 1970 when my grandmother died. I used to go there every year as a child and thought that it was a perfect place for holidays. The old family home was demolished though before my grandmother died to make a car park in the village.

I would be interested to hear from any one else who is researching the Whitley or Williams families.

Maureen

lisawagner

Default Sarah Ann Whitley

My GGGrandmother was Sarah Ann Whitley, she married John Bowen 7 March 1864 at Wrexham Register Office, both their residences are shown as just Holt, witnesses were John Harrison and Arthur Davies, Sarah's father is listed as Edward Whitley, profession Labourer. Her age is given as 23 meaning she was born 1841, but I have found her in the 1901 Birkenhead, 1891 Birkenhead, 1881 Birkenhead and 1871 Hope Caergwrle as being born between 1843 and 1845, though each state she was born Caergwrle. I can not seem to find her in the 1861 or 1851 census. I have also been plodding through the BMD index but none seem to fit as of yet. Their eldest children were born in Farndon Cheshire in 1865 and 1867, then Margaret A was born in Caergwrle 1870, the others later born in Birkenhead. There is a nephew Edward Whitley listed with them in 1881 and 1891, born Caergwrle 1872.

Regards,
    Lisa