Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Question Francis Tivey Melbourne derby

I have been trying for a long time now to trace my gggrandfather Francis Tivey or rather his birth date and parents..........On all census from 1851 till he died in 1883 he id down as being born Melbourne Derby, he was 73 when he died and all census agree b c1811.
    However someone has looked at Melbourne record office and there are no Tiveys there although lots appear on census indexes.
    I know who he married who his children were when and where he died but he seems to have appeared from outer space!
    so if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful sandie

Geoffers

Could he have been born at Melbourne and baptised elsewhere?

Have you been able to try non-conformist records?

Any luck on the IGI? Any TIVEYs bapt in Melbourne at all on the IGI? Whilst it shouldn't be taken as proof, it is still a useful research tool.

Geoffers

there are lots of Tiveys on the IGI on LDS site from Melbourne and a number around Francis birth date but not him, there are a lot of children to a George Tivey & Sarah Oakley all around that date I am going to try some research on them. Only non comformist record I have looked at so far is a Baptist one and hes not there.
    I know I shall have to go look myself at the records But I cant for a while so I guess I was looking for a hopeful easy record on line not always possible I know

sandie

Blanche Charles

Default TIVEYs from Melbourne

Hello Sandie,

I'm astonished!
    It just goes to prove that one has to check original records for oneself and can never rely on the research of others! I descend from a TIVEY family of Melbourne and can assure you that there are any number of references to them. Please send me a personal message through this forum so that I can reply to you privately with some files.

Kind regards

Blanche Charles
    Wellington
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by sandiep
    I have been trying for a long time now to trace my gggrandfather Francis Tivey or rather his birth date and parents..........On all census from 1851 till he died in 1883 he id down as being born Melbourne Derby, he was 73 when he died and all census agree b c1811.
    However someone has looked at Melbourne record office and there are no Tiveys there although lots appear on census indexes.
    I know who he married who his children were when and where he died but he seems to have appeared from outer space!
    so if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful sandie

jeeb

Default Melbourne Record Office

sandie
    I believe all the Derbyshire parish registers are held at the Derbyshire County Record Office in MATLOCK. This is where the Melbourne Registers will be, unless anyone knows differently. There are many Tiveys mentioned on the IGI in Melbourne, so I think your informant is probably incorrect in this instance.
    Jeremy

thanks for replies, Blanche will message you
    will definately go to the Derby record office have to be after christmas, but its such a lovely part of England I dont thinkit will be a chore

sandie

Blanche Charles

Default TIVEYs from Melbourne

Sandie,

Thanks for your message. I'll get back to you privately. Meanwhile, do you realise that you don't have to go to Matlock to view the original Melbourne PRs? Like many others, they have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered from your nearest LDS family history centre. (This is the only way that so many of us in other parts of the world are able to access the records).
    Check the library catalogue on www.familysearch.org

As you say, there is a family of TIVEYs who appear in the Melbourne General Baptist registers (as well as in other General Baptist registers around SW Derbyshire / NW Leics). They all descend from the same TIVEY line which goes back to Breedon on the Hill, in nearby Leics.

Will be in touch.

Kind regards

Blanche Charles

Geoffers

there are lots of Tiveys on the IGI on LDS site from Melbourne and a number around Francis birth date but not him
    Don't forget that as the 19th century progressed there seems to have been a tendency amongst some families to either not have children baptised, or to baptised them later in life - often doing a job lot. So you might find that Francis was baptised up to 10-15 years after birth, and possibly with other siblings of varying ages.

It may be a case of having to compare any later baptisms in the area against census returns and burial registers to try and show that there is/is not a connection.

Geoffers

BeeE586

I have friends in Melbourne now named TIVEY and have e-mailed them to suggest they look at this Forum. Mr Tivey is a Baptist and was baptized, I think by total immmersion, as an adult - I did not know them then.

I don't know if this is pertinent but a forbear of mine from a Lincolnshire family of Dissenters was baptized into the Church of England aged 24 just a few days before her marriage, as were several of her siblings before their marriages. This was late 18th/early 19thC when virtually all marriage took place in the Parish Church by law. Have I read somewhere that an unbaptized person could not be married in C of E ?

Eileen

thanks for that Bee look forard to hearing from your friend.

Geoffers have noticed a couple of Tiveys who were baptised many years after birth, maybe same thing happened to Francis, as I dont yet know his parents maybe he was baptised elsewhere. Must get out my records and see which type of church he married in that might help.
    Look forward to hearing from you Blanche, will look up my nearest LDS centre ,
    perhaps you know geoffers think we both live in Oxfordshire?
    I think one of the things I find so helpful about this site is how it focuses your mind on all sorts of ideas to follow that you dont think off thank you everyone sandie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast