PDA

View Full Version : Chat Room for Brit-Gen Members

Rod Neep
04-11-2005, 2:32 AM
I have set up a very rough and ready chat room for members.

At present it is running on a freebie version of the software. If it proves successful then I'll buy the software and make the chat room a permanent feature. (The freebie version contains adverts which you can happily ignore or pretend are not there) ;-)

Also, this version only allows a max of 10 people in the chat room at a time.

Its here:
http://www.british-genealogy.com/chat.html

Regards
Rod

Mythology
04-11-2005, 4:05 AM
Not exactly my cup of tea at my typing speed - other visitors would fall asleep waiting for my reply to them - but I figured I was probably safe enough at this time of night, so stuck my head in.

Found the layout reasonably easy to understand, and it works OK, so for those who can exceed the dizzy speed of 4 wpm, go for it. :)

Geoffers
04-11-2005, 9:48 AM
I have set up a very rough and ready chat room for members. Its here:
http://www.british-genealogy.com/chat.html

If this is of interest for those with Norfolk research, I'm happy to be around at specific times/days to assist.

I have some experience at research in the county and a fairly large library of books on history and specifically Norfolk (mostly NE of the county); and am willing to make sure that I'm around at set times to respond to any queries. Does anyone out there have a set day and/or time which would be most suitable?

Geoffers

Beebee
04-11-2005, 10:13 AM
I would certainly like a chat room, and give any help, or perhaps mores the case, |laugh1| receive any help with tracing my ancestors.

Beebee

Peter Goodey
04-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Is it possible to rig it so that people have to use their normal forum name?

Diane Grant-Salmon
04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, it must be full or has gone walkabouts, as I've just clicked the link, entered Diane GS in the box and then clicked Enter or whatever.

My name disappeared into outer space and I was left just staring at the same page. Clicked Help and had a read, then tried again with same result.

Maybe only lets fellas in????? :confused: :D

Scottie
04-11-2005, 1:07 PM
Me too Diane. I got in and said Hello and nothing happened so I said goodbye and left. There was someone called sesame at the top of the list buthe/she was not replying either :o

Patrisia
04-11-2005, 1:33 PM
There was nobody home, so although I often talk to myself, I left.
Sounds a good idea though, when it's up and running.

busyglen
04-11-2005, 3:58 PM
There was nobody home, so although I often talk to myself, I left.
Sounds a good idea though, when it's up and running.

Same here Patrisia, I said Hi to myself and then left! :)

Glenys

AnnB
04-11-2005, 4:24 PM
Glad it's not just me, I might start getting some sort of inferiority complex :D

Best wishes
Ann

Rod Neep
04-11-2005, 7:29 PM
Of course... you can only chat to someoneif there is someone else in the room

Talking to one's self isn't very fruitful ;-)

busyglen
04-11-2005, 8:06 PM
Of course... you can only chat to someoneif there is someone else in the room

Talking to one's self isn't very fruitful ;-)

Ah yes! But at least you get the right reply! :D

Glenys

AnnB
04-11-2005, 8:10 PM
Ah yes! But at least you get the right reply! :D

Glenys
I'm following you around Glenys ;)
At least we've all had one sensible converstion today :D

Best wishes
Ann

busyglen
04-11-2005, 8:21 PM
I'm following you around Glenys ;)
At least we've all had one sensible converstion today :D

Best wishes
Ann

And that's after a glass of wine with my dinner! |5cups|

Glenys

Beebee
04-11-2005, 8:42 PM
Would anyone care to join me in the chat room?
I'm in the chat room if anyone wants to join me.:(

Frank W
04-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Me too Diane. I got in and said Hello and nothing happened so I said goodbye and left. There was someone called sesame at the top of the list buthe/she was not replying either :o

Hi Scottie
I saw you arrive and try the PM contact, but you seemed to leave rather suddenly, evidently before my reply arrived.
Once you are out of the chat room you lose what has already been sent and probably the reply which was on its way.
I did hang about for a few minutes, but no other visitors appeared so I also departed.
Not sure what happens if you lose or break the internet connexion before leaving the chat room. It would be handy if there was a facility for recalling earlier traffic so that we could catch up on missed contacts and see what had been happening recently.

Regards.......Frank W (ALIAS SESAME)

Scottie
05-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Sorry Frank alias Sesame :D I did not mean to snub you but nothing happened so I thought I had done something wrong.

Frank W
05-11-2005, 1:05 AM
Hi Scottie. No problem. Its all a matter of timing and luck I think, but I had another visit this evening and was just in time to see monxton depart and Ladkyis arrived,followed by NotHim so we did manage a threeway contact before I left.
Looks as if the best results are by scheduling in advance, or for off the cuff visits its probably best to lurk for 5 mins or more if nobody else is there when you arrive.
Regards.........Frank W

Ladkyis
05-11-2005, 1:06 AM
You meet a really nice group of people in the chat room, have a cuppa and examine the soft furnishings - dead good.

Peter Goodey
05-11-2005, 12:51 PM
As an experiment, I tried just sitting on my own in the chat room for half an hour or so just to see if anyone else came in. Naturally, I was doing something in another window at the time. Someone else did pop in. NO AUDIO ALERT!!! So I missed their cheery "hello" - I must have seemed even grumpier than usual:( .

LynA
05-11-2005, 1:02 PM
As an experiment, I tried just sitting on my own in the chat room for half an hour or so just to see if anyone else came in. Naturally, I was doing something in another window at the time. Someone else did pop in. NO AUDIO ALERT!!! So I missed their cheery "hello" - I must have seemed even grumpier than usual:( .
Never mind Peter, I couldn't stay long in any case |hug|

Lynda

Peter Goodey
05-11-2005, 1:07 PM
Aha! It was you, Lynda, Sorry.

Jillychris
05-11-2005, 3:47 PM
When I clicked on the link it said chat needs Java enabled brower.

Anyone tell me how to enable my Java please.

Regards
Jill

Peter Goodey
05-11-2005, 3:52 PM
"Anyone tell me how to enable my Java please."

What browser do you use?

Beebee
05-11-2005, 4:13 PM
Do you have Java installed? If not you can download it here http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010300.xml

Diane Grant-Salmon
05-11-2005, 4:38 PM
Success! :D I popped in again to give it a try, as yesterday I couldn't get past the log-in box. Typed my name and Enter but wouldn't let me in.

Got there and Beebee was there, I typed hello and didn't know how to send message! :confused: Poor Beebee talking to herself, thinking I'm being rude, so after trying everything else, I hit Enter key on keyboard!

|woohoo| I did it! Had a nice little chat with her, luckily just the two of us, I will get in a mess with more people, as I can't type too fast, but at least we were OK!

Thanks Beebee!

Ladkyis
05-11-2005, 7:40 PM
chat rooms are where I increased my typing speed - the more you type the faster you get. Our chatroom is very tasteful, comfy chairs, subtle lighting and the company was just great.

Ann

Beebee
05-11-2005, 9:54 PM
Success! :D I popped in again to give it a try, as yesterday I couldn't get past the log-in box. Typed my name and Enter but wouldn't let me in.

Got there and Beebee was there, I typed hello and didn't know how to send message! :confused: Poor Beebee talking to herself, thinking I'm being rude, so after trying everything else, I hit Enter key on keyboard!

|woohoo| I did it! Had a nice little chat with her, luckily just the two of us, I will get in a mess with more people, as I can't type too fast, but at least we were OK!

Thanks Beebee!

You're welcome Diane.

Oh you do make me laugh |laugh1| I can see it's going to be quite ammusing when there are quite a few people in the chat, somebody will ask a question and we'll reply 3 conversations later.

Jillychris
06-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Hi Peter my browser is AOL.

Beebee I have tried to download JAVA and it was going OK then said there was an error. I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks to you both.

Regards
Jill

Beebee
06-11-2005, 3:09 PM
Hi Jill,
I still have the set up file for Java that I downloaded. If you would like me to send it to you just pm me with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

Jillychris
06-11-2005, 4:22 PM
Thanks BeeBee I managed to get in this morning, but no-one was around. I had to download something.

Regards
Jill

Copper
06-11-2005, 6:27 PM
I have popped into chat a few times but there is never anybody there :(

BeeE586
07-11-2005, 1:48 AM
Been missing for a day or two so knew nothing about this until this evening. Tried it and found two others, perhaps late evening is the best time.

Regarding JAVA, i had to download to join the Derbyshire chatroom. It took three tries but got there in the end.

Thanks again Rod - there may be a few teehing troubles to start with but these should disappear as we continue with it.

Eileen

Ladkyis
07-11-2005, 10:19 AM
I think the secret is to set a time to go in the chatroom and then do like they do for derbyshire and tell everyone - it worked last night when I announced the time and said I would be in there. It wasn't long before there were 5 or 6 people, but it was ok cos there's a long sofa and several comfy chairs :D

Ann

Peter Goodey
07-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Well yes, we could agree a time but as I've implied, a less formal approach would be to simply log in and leave it running while you get on with something else. Unfortunately, without some sort of audio alert that someone else has joined, it's pretty pointless to try to do that.

It's a pity because it could potentially be useful and fun!

busyglen
07-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Sorry about last night Ann! :( I was really beginning to enjoy our chat, when I got that phone call!! Unfortunately I couldn't get back as it was a friend in a bit of a panic.

I announced I was there to an empty room, and said I would wait 5 minutes, which is when you arrived. I know you can see if anyone is there, but if you actually put a message, others who may be a bit shy, do then have a bash and speak.

Let's hope we can catch up again soon Ann. :)

Glenys

Ladkyis
07-11-2005, 8:43 PM
perhaps the full software will have a sound thingy to alert us, cos you can't even click on something to keep the message box on top like you can withmsn and icq

Ann

LynA
08-11-2005, 8:30 PM
Busyglen, sorry I had to go for the phone call. Hope we meet up again another day on the room

Regards,
Lynda

busyglen
09-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Busyglen, sorry I had to go for the phone call. Hope we meet up again another day on the room

Regards,
Lynda

Lynda, no apologies needed. I had to go anyway, and was just about to say so, when you had the call.

Look forward to another chat soon.

Glenys