PDA

View Full Version : LDS Records and Parish Registers

Rove
15-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Back in 1994 when I started research I viewed a map showing all English Counties and on each County there was shown how much of the Parish Registers have been copied by the LDS.

I think it shown that most Counties had their records fully copied by the LDS.

There was quite a number that only a percentage of the records in the Registers had been copied. That was eleven years ago. Is it still like that today or is there an update of progress somewhere.

Burrow Digger
15-10-2005, 12:19 PM
I believe that the LDS were forced to stop collecting OPR's because the Church of England kicked up a fuss when they discovered that the Mormons were "baptising" the English parishoners into heaven - which goes against anglican beliefs.

As far as I know the LDS gave not been allowed to do anything more since that time.

Ancestry is now collecting the information. They dont "baptise" anyone into heaven. :D There is a thread in this forum somewhere about how the NRO has given microfilms to Ancestry to be digitised, and those films are still in the USA. which means that people like Rod cannot get them to digitise and make CDs to sell to us. :(

Burrow Digger

Burrow Digger
15-10-2005, 12:24 PM
I think it shown that most Counties had their records fully copied by the LDS.

The LDS are dreaming if they think they got MOST of the counties fully copied.

Devon is quite well covered - but there are some names & places that I cant find info for at all on the IGI.

Somerset on the other hand is very BADLY covered.
NONE of my Somerset names from Milverton (Wellington District) for example, are on the IGI

BD

Rove
15-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Hi Burrow Digger

Many thanks for that reply.

Looks like it answers my question fully.

Rove.

BeeE586
15-10-2005, 3:01 PM
I do not know the full extent of this website, but it was mentioned in a previous thread and I have used it. It seems to be the IGI ordered by parishes rather than alphabetically by surname and shows the years covered. It may be worth a try.

freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/

No doubt other, more knowledgeable, posters will have more information.

Eileen

jeeb
15-10-2005, 3:01 PM
Hi Rove,
In addition to 'Burrow Digger's' reply (how right he is about Somerset) never take the IGI for granted. I am first to admit the IGI is a wonderful aid to genealogists but is also responsible for many people's errors. I have often found cases when I have used the IGI and then checked later, as one always must, that there have been omittances for no apparent reason, eg. it may list 5 children to a couple and leave out a sixth even though it is plainly there, the reference will tell you the years have been covered. The other problem I have found with IGI is the way they link names together, I research the name Boaz, sometimes it is found with Boase, sometimes with Boss and once with Boat! Yet Boze, a common mis- spelling of the name is under something quite different. As I said before the IGI is a wonderful guide but as I tell my audiences when giving talks, always double check and take nothing for granted.
Jeremy.

Terry
15-10-2005, 7:01 PM
Hi, a word of warning about Devon records in the IGI. Any C of E (parish church) records are taken from transcriptions and NOT from parish records. The only Devon records taken direct from registers are Non-conformist records which are in the N. A. (PRO). The situation has always been with Devon, and still is, that the LDS were refused permission to film any parish registers.

Guy Etchells
15-10-2005, 7:20 PM
Yes there are a few unchristian spirited vicars who refused permission, however the LDS were in many cases of such action given permission to film the BTs.
Cheers
Guy

Mark
15-10-2005, 9:21 PM
Yes there are a few unchristian spirited vicars who refused permission, however the LDS were in many cases of such action given permission to film the BTs.
Cheers
Guy

Huh ... the LDS are "christian" ... i don't think so.

Mark

Linda
15-10-2005, 10:28 PM
If it wasn't for the LDS family history centres, which I can visit at no charge, and no charge for their equipment or the films, fiches and books held in their library, I would never have been able to get as far as I have with my family research.

I am not a member of their church, and I have never been asked to join the church or submit any of my research to them during the 5 years that I have been using their library.

Anyone with access to the internet can access the information on their website for free. Hands up any family researcher who can say they have NEVER used that free service. All we have to remember is to double check the information.

I for one am very thankful of their hospitality, whether it is considered "christian" or not.

Linda

Mythology
15-10-2005, 11:51 PM
"there are a few unchristian spirited vicars"

Too true, Guy - and if I happen to meet the one who is responsible for me having to travel to Gloucester in a week or so's time, he will get the rough end of my unchristian tongue. I enjoy visiting record offices, but I am not a good traveller, and three hours each way on a coach just to seek out one marriage record, which, knowing my lot, may well turn out to be in Stornoway or Bodmin instead, is not my idea of fun! For something like that, I'd much rather just risk a few pounds on the fiche, but Reverend Selfish has decreed that no copies shall be made.

As for the LDS, whatever one's feelings about them as an organisation, there is no denying that the IGI is often a useful and time-saving pointer to finding the real thing - I think that we would all have to do a lot more speculative trawling without it.

Rove
16-10-2005, 2:27 AM
Hi Linda
I'm all the way with you. Definetely a great free service by them and wonderful nice helpers.

I have a link with Malta through my paternal grandmother so I'm researching the Bartolo family. The LDS do have a few items on this family in their records.

One time I wrote to them and asked if they ever considered filming the parish registers on the little Island. As I had figured it was a hopeless case due to the different religious beliefs. Malta being a 100% RC country.

I visted the Island in 1992 and did a fair amount of research. Anything from the Parishes is FREE and their records going back to 1550 are first class. At the town of Floriana and Senglea they allowed me to spend many hours viewing the Registers and issued the certs for free. One thing the old registers are in Latin but thats no problem. I was told that every Register has a back up copy. Yes, they do accept a donation.

Well, only this week I discovered that the LDS have opened an office in Malta.
Plus the US Govt has just purchased a huge piece of land to build a new Embassy costing many millions. So, one can think and say " Have $$$ will succeed " As you all know, churches do consider donations.

jeeb
16-10-2005, 2:50 AM

Mark

Mark, I cannot understand why you should make this strong statement. LDS may have some strange beliefs in the eyes of many but they do not as far as I am aware commit such atrocities as have been committed by other so called Christians in the past. The christian church is directly or indirectly to blame for a great deal of greed and cruelty in the past. I am not a Latter Day Saint, but to call them unchristian is a very unchristian thing to do.
Guy mentions unchristian vicars, he may be nearer the mark, I always thought the Church Of England was God's house. I then wonder what right the church thinks it has to block the copying of its records, our records of our ancestors. OK I go along with the objection to baptising names of people take from Cof E registers into the Mormon faith but these people who cared enough have already been baptised into their chosen faith during their lifetime and finally buried into their own churches consecrated ground, I don't think it will make any difference to those whose faith was strong enough and the rest probably wouldn't give a damn anyway. Jeremy

ChristineR
16-10-2005, 5:35 AM
One should bear in mind that the IGI does not contain all the records that are held by the LDS. It is an index to their activities in carrying out their beliefs. Someone explained all that in another thread some time back.

It is pretty obvious which records can be taken on board with some degree of confidence - any record which comes from a parish record has a letter in front of it - C or M indicating christening or marriage. Anything that is a film number or patron submitted must be viewed with extreme caution - can lead you astray or point you in the right direction.

You need to look at their library holdings to see what they have - and then this will say what they are, (parish records, bishops transcripts, or published transcripts) what they cover and the date range. I have only looked at Essex records, mostly Harwich and Dovercourt that are not on the IGI - when the film I ordered arrived, it was of parish registers that are held by the Essex record office. And some of these were not originals, at the beginning of the book the vicar would indicate that they had been copied from the original into the new book.

ChristineR
Australia

Guy Etchells
16-10-2005, 6:29 PM
OK I go along with the objection to baptising names of people take from Cof E registers into the Mormon faith but these people who cared enough have already been baptised into their chosen faith during their lifetime and finally buried into their own churches consecrated ground, I don't think it will make any difference to those whose faith was strong enough and the rest probably wouldn't give a damn anyway. Jeremy

First I did not state that the LDS was christian Mark must have misread my posting.

May I make one correction here Jeremy.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that it is right to offer the depated the chance to be baptised into their church.
The departed is given the choice as to whether they accept or not and surely if there is life after death they are the ones in the best position to judge whether to accept such an offer or not.

Whether we believe the LDS is a christian faith or not is of no concern, their attitude to helping and sharing with all is undeniably a christian attitude.
Cheers
Guy

Mark
16-10-2005, 9:46 PM
Yes, I did read the juxtaposition of "unchristian vicars" and LDS to mean that the LDS were christian.

I do not though see why "jeeb" is surprised. The LDS aren't Christians, come to that nor are Muslims, Hindu's etc etc. If you use Google with such search terms as +"Mormon" +"heresy" you find many sites explaning just how the Mormon doctrine is completely at odds with Christianity.

Their attitude and our gratefulness for it for genealogy is great. Without it, many of us would still be floundering around. But the ulterior motive behind the transcribing, to re-baptise people in the LDS faith, is something we ought to bear in mind.

I don't think vicar's are unchristian for preventing the LDS from filming the registers they're in charge of, bearing in the mind the use the LDS church makes of them.

Do we call some national governmental agencies "unchristian" for not opening up their BMD indexes and offering certificates for x number of years. (thinking of some Australian ones for instance).

Just because "we" want records, and usually "free access" to them, doesn't make the keepers of the records unchristian if they decide not to make them available.

Mark

Clive Blackaby
17-10-2005, 10:24 PM

MarkMark,

The full name of the LDS (of which I am not a member) might give a hint

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

As they say on their website

"There are many who say that Latter-day Saints believe in a 'different Jesus' than do other Christians and that we are therefore not 'Christian.' . . . We believe in the Jesus of the New Testament, and we believe what the New Testament teaches about Him. We do believe things about Jesus that other Christians do not believe, but that is because we know, through revelation, things about Jesus that others do not know. . . . "What we want most of all is for Christian and non-Christian alike to understand that we love the Lord Jesus Christ. We revere His name. We count it a great honor and privilege to take upon ourselves the name of Christ as Christians and as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

mary elms
17-10-2005, 11:51 PM
We seem to be straying seriously off topic here for the General English Family History forum. The fact is that permission was refused and therefore the IGI cannot be complete. It is a tool that we use gratefully and carefully.

I have had many discussions on faith with members of the LDS and have done 4 sessions of one of their courses (sessions 5 & 6 were only for those who converted). I suspect that they understand fully why they were refused permission - a person's attitiude depends totally on his/her beliefs about the significance or otherwise of baptism and on what they believe about life after death.

Attacking one another over this seems fruitless to me. There is after all a forum on which we can discuss what constitutes a Christian in a friendly manner if we wish.

Mary.

Guy Etchells
18-10-2005, 12:02 AM
But Mary the IGI is complete and 100% accurate.

That is to say it is complete as far as the latest ordinances are concerned and it is 100% accurate when used for its correct purpose.
The IGI is after all an index of the ordinances of the LDS church - it is not and never has been an index of parish registers.
Cheers
Guy

Chasing Caseys
18-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Forgive me for what i am about to say but, I am Christian because i was christened (no fault of mine) I was educated at a Convent ( partly my fault !) and so have no religious feelings but do admire those that have.
The LDS have provided me with information so that i can go seek and follow up albeit with a lot of emmissions. Luckily the Scottish vicars/priests/canons whatever for my areas at least werent so grumpy.
Do any of us care which religious denomination began a web site for us looking to find our forebears ? - i think not. I for one havent thought about it and selfishly dont care who started it as long as i find clues to what i need and would pay for it if they charged .

Appologies for offending anyone, going further off topic, my grammer and speling (that was deliberate, though i cant say for sure about the previous - does that have an "E" ? ).

Mary Elms.......special appologies to you as you always seem so kind and gracious in your replies.

mary elms
18-10-2005, 1:15 AM
But Mary the IGI is complete and 100% accurate. Sorry Guy, I was very clumsy in my wording - that's what I meant to say if only I'd thought of the right words. :o We use it as something it is not and for that use it is not complete. For it's intended purpose, it is.

Tracey - no offence taken by me.

Mary.

Mark
18-10-2005, 3:17 AM
Mark,

The full name of the LDS (of which I am not a member) might give a hint

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

As they say on their website

"There are many who say that Latter-day Saints believe in a 'different Jesus' than do other Christians and that we are therefore not 'Christian.' . . . We believe in the Jesus of the New Testament, and we believe what the New Testament teaches about Him. We do believe things about Jesus that other Christians do not believe, but that is because we know, through revelation, things about Jesus that others do not know. . . . "What we want most of all is for Christian and non-Christian alike to understand that we love the Lord Jesus Christ. We revere His name. We count it a great honor and privilege to take upon ourselves the name of Christ as Christians and as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Clive

The problem is that the meaning the LDS attach to certain words are radically different to that attached and understood by Christians.

There are plenty of theological sources out there which will point out the differences. one such is
http://www.godandscience.org/cults/mormdiff.html

another is
http://www.contenderministries.org/mormonism/comparison.php

Whether or not you (or I) am Christian, anyone can see that there are distinct differences between the beliefs of the Christian church and Mormonism. There is no trade-off, they can't both be true.

The Mormons are so keen on doing works, eg baptising people (even from generations ago), because they believe that is how they gain salvation. That is completely at odds with Christianity where Salvation is by the grace of God through faith.

In a similar theme, I get daily emails allegedly from eBay, Barclays Bank. Lloyds etc etc. Just because they use the words "login", "click here to update your account" or "click for our official site" or they happen to serve up an official looking graphic or logo, doesn't make then the genuine article.

Mark

Rove
18-10-2005, 6:44 AM
Hi everyone

I started this topic so its proper for me to add something.

I don't want to say " I'm sorry my subject lead to a group of friends showing off their different beliefs and of all subjects religion "

I would like to say that just about all reading is good reading and we all believe in democracy. Personally, I have been enlightened by some of your statements. Reading the messages just proves that few of us cannot walk a straight line, but that doesn't make us monsters.

I manage a very popular Alumni Site and have friends in six countries. All mature persons. A wonderful group of ladies and gents. My rules for the Site are that no politics, no hot topics and no religion is allowed. This has worked out great for over four years. I have five fellow co Admins.

As I've stated " hard to walk a straight line " Recently three members started a subject about 'illegal migrants' Two of these are my close friends. I allowed the subject / messages to go for four days. Then Governments and names head of States was added in their messages, even some religion. At first I gave them a warning. Allowed a few more days. These three members plus a two more complained. It was time to take action and deleted the subject.

I know some hot topics like these can drag on for months and friendship can be the victim. My Site is now at peace and all is forgotten. I believe its the same here.

William.

Guy Etchells
18-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Clive

The problem is that the meaning the LDS attach to certain words are radically different to that attached and understood by Christians.

There are plenty of theological sources out there which will point out the differences. one such is
http://www.godandscience.org/cults/mormdiff.html

another is
http://www.contenderministries.org/mormonism/comparison.php

Whether or not you (or I) am Christian, anyone can see that there are distinct differences between the beliefs of the Christian church and Mormonism. There is no trade-off, they can't both be true.

The Mormons are so keen on doing works, eg baptising people (even from generations ago), because they believe that is how they gain salvation. That is completely at odds with Christianity where Salvation is by the grace of God through faith.

In a similar theme, I get daily emails allegedly from eBay, Barclays Bank. Lloyds etc etc. Just because they use the words "login", "click here to update your account" or "click for our official site" or they happen to serve up an official looking graphic or logo, doesn't make then the genuine article.

Mark

There are problems with both of those sites mentioned, the first gives Old Testament examples to back up Christianity. However Christianity started with the birth of Jesus the old testament is concerned with Judaism.

The second site falls flat in its first example "The only authoritative scriptures given by God are the 39 books of the Old Testament and the New Testament of the Bible. " Wrong, there were other scriptures not included in modern bibles.
The following tries to explain.
http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/bible/canons.stm
Perhaps this thread should move to the christianity forum.
Cheers
Guy

jeeb
18-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Attacking one another over this seems fruitless to me. There is after all a forum on which we can discuss what constitutes a Christian in a friendly manner if we wish.

Mary.

Hi Mary and Everyone,
I thought this was a good healthy discussion and I certainly didn't take offence at any remarks made by anyone and hope the same can be said about my remarks. I found the responses on this forum very valuable and if someone corrects me or states a different point of view to mine, I say "good on em". Forum means 'a place for public discussion' I thought that was what we were all doing here, although perhaps we strayed a little from William's original thread.
Jeremy

Rove
18-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Mr Jeeb

I'm giving you .... 10 out of 10 ....

Cheeers

Mark
18-10-2005, 1:02 PM
Hi Mary and Everyone,
I thought this was a good healthy discussion and I certainly didn't take offence at any remarks made by anyone and hope the same can be said about my remarks. I found the responses on this forum very valuable and if someone corrects me or states a different point of view to mine, I say "good on em". Forum means 'a place for public discussion' I thought that was what we were all doing here, although perhaps we strayed a little from William's original thread.
Jeremy

Hear hear, too. We live in a pluralistic society and we're allowed to have different viewpoints thankfully.

And as already stated, the IGI has fulfilled its purpose for the people compiling it, and in that sense it's complete and perfect. For the rest of us who are family historians, we can be grateful for the indexation of lots of registers, and we can go and find the entries we're interested in, and make our own transcriptions. And if we've looked at the source (or the film/fiche theoreof) and there are "extra" entries or entries that differ then fine.

Mark

Burrow Digger
18-10-2005, 10:21 PM
But Mary the IGI is complete and 100% accurate.

That is to say it is complete as far as the latest ordinances are concerned and it is 100% accurate when used for its correct purpose.
The IGI is after all an index of the ordinances of the LDS church - it is not and never has been an index of parish registers.
Cheers
Guy

In that case I apologise to the LDS at large for complaining about the Somerset index, since for their purposes it is complete & accurate. I guess that means that my Somerset ancestors were not acceptable as members of the LDS church. :D

And that I will have to find them elsewhere :)

BD

Clive Blackaby
19-10-2005, 1:49 AM

Mary.
My posting was certainly not intended as an attack, and I'm sorry if anyone construed it as such.

I was merely making the point that the Mormons follow the teachings of Christ in their own way, and though it may be different from the way of "main stream" Christians (for want of a better description), who is to say that their way is any less Christian than any other?

jeeb
19-10-2005, 5:25 PM
First I did not state that the LDS was christian Mark must have misread my posting.

May I make one correction here Jeremy.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that it is right to offer the depated the chance to be baptised into their church.
The departed is given the choice as to whether they accept or not and surely if there is life after death they are the ones in the best position to judge whether to accept such an offer or not.

Cheers
Guy
Hi Guy,
Thanks for the correction, although I think this is what I was trying to say in a perhaps somewhat clumsy way. I know the LDS believe that the departed should have a chance to convert to their faith. My question therefore is why do LDS not record the burials instead of baptisms & marriages? I always appreciate your answers Guy.
Jeremy.

Guy Etchells
19-10-2005, 8:23 PM
Some burials are and have always been recorded, but as far as they are concerned burials are not so important.
They believe that life goes on after death, therefore a burial is akin to moving house, i.e. the departed has moved from this world to the next.
The significant events recorded for the LDS are those contained in the three columns of the fiche version of the IGI headed B.,E.,S. Baptism, Endowment and Sealing.
Cheers
Guy

jeeb
19-10-2005, 9:02 PM
Guy.
Thanks, a good explicit answer, I didn't realise they viewed death as such. I have learned something new.
Cheers Jeremy.

DRAGONSMASTER13
06-11-2005, 5:33 AM
The LDS Church has now stoped allowing any new Family History to be Submitted because they have found to many Mistakes in the PAF's that people submitted the only information they are takeing in now is what they refer to as Chapel Blessings. That is where people step in to the place where the people who have passed on to be blessed to they can reunited with their loved ones. They beleive if this isn't done all of that Family wont go to Heaven. I am not LDS but I lived in St. George, UT. USA from 1988 to 2003 and this is what some Friends of Mine told me and they are Mormon (LDS). DRAGONSMASTER13

norfolk white
10-11-2005, 10:57 PM

Mark
Sorry to drag this back up but as I understand it, the definition of a Christian is a person or group who believe in Jesus Christ. As for the LDS Church being completely at odds with other Christian groups does not make them not Christian other wise the Church of England would also be classed as none Christian. The reason I say this is that the C of E only came about because Henry VIII broke away from Catholisism and formed his own religious group, the C of E, in order to get divorced and re marry, he was completely at odds with the Catholic Church that he was excomunicated by the then Pope. Also, are other religious groups e.g. Jehovas Witnesses, Plymouth Breathren, Quakers, etc., also to be classed as none christian for their beliefs?

I for one are very happy to have the IGI even with its mistakes and omissions and thank the LDS church for providing it free to us. I am also as grateful for the Census' that we have, also with all its mistakes and omissions.

Rant over and sorry if I offended anyone.

joette
11-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Sorry but as a keen genealogist & a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints I felt I had to put in my two bobs worth.
Yes we proxy baptise the dead,we seal families together as that is the eternal formation that we believe in.Parents,children together forever.In Order to do this we have to know who our families are.That is the main motivation behind our research.We have been asked to seek out our kindred dead & to then have the Temple work done for them i.e Baptism,Priesthood ordination,endowment & marriage/parent sealing.The temple is one of the most sacred places in our religion.We go to do this work & to pray & seek divine guidance-that is not to say we cant seek it elsewhere but it is so peaceful & beautiful that it is so much easier to do it there.
I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God that He dide for us & was resurrected & I try to be like Him.Dont often succeed & sometimes think that a day is too long to spend with my Family.
My Family has many religions practised in it RC,Muslim,Episcopalian,Presby & the odd aethisist/agnostic but I love them all & they love me.That what motivates me in my Family History & also the fact that I am a nosey .....

Kilgarrowglebe
21-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi I am a new member my name is Suzanne Bartolo, I am married to Anthony Bartolo who is desended from the Bartolo family from Floriana, Malta.
Regards Suzanne

Ron Leech
22-06-2006, 3:46 PM
Hi Suzanne

Welcome to the forums. If you have any questions regarding ancestors just post your question on the appropriate forum and members will do their best to help solve the problem.

irisrose
22-06-2006, 4:55 PM
I have downloaded P.A.F from LDS family search could someone please tell me how to use it
Thank you

Ron Leech
22-06-2006, 5:16 PM
it's a long time since I looked but I thought their web site gave instructions and examples?

Peter Goodey
22-06-2006, 5:27 PM
"I have downloaded P.A.F from LDS family search could someone please tell me how to use it"

After installing the program, select "Help" from the main menu.

irisrose
22-06-2006, 5:44 PM
Thanks for your help I will have a good look and could you tell me if it is possible for me to transfer the tree that I have on Genes Reunited onto PAF as I have a lot of information contained there.

Peter Goodey
22-06-2006, 7:07 PM
If the site allows you to download the data as a gedcom, then you can import the gedcom into PAF.

colin rutter
22-06-2006, 7:23 PM
I have just read this thread for the first time. All I can say is that I find it disconcerting (and disappointing, but not wholly unexpected) that people in the C of E were worried that the LDS was using old records to baptize the dead into the arms of the LDS. What absurdity! Did those C of E 'thinkers' actually think that prayers and ceremonies over the names of the dead where actually going to do something or have some sort of real result ?? Breathtaking inanity!! (to borrow a phrase from Judge Jones.)

The LDS, whatever their breathtakingly inane reasons, have done significant public services, of which I, and many others, have taken (free) advantage.

I am now praying that all of my deceased Rutter uncles had been on the Tottenham Hotspurs club in 1923. [Only the club name and dates have been changed to protect the innocent.] [They weren't innocent, and they weren't in the Tottenham Hotspurs.]

If I have offended anyone, I have no apologies.

shirley barrette
28-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi i gave my family tree to a mormon branch (way back) of my family only to find most of them have been sealed or rechristened the elderly lady in UK who had done all that research would be horrified although it was given with her permission, i still think it is a load of bunkum Shirley

idredge
09-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi all

I have been reading this thread with great interest. You all put in valid points.

But don't we all check any records to make sure of date place and name, we all make mistakes that is only human. Any help to find our families are welcome by me anyway.

Without the LDS sites we would not have found our link to the Bath Simpkins. My ggg grandfather died in 1839 before any records would help us trace him. In the Church records he was 49 but on the certificate he is 10 year older. I take the Church record as right and the mistake was made copying the certificate sent to London. (I have found many such mistakes in the ages on marriages). All his children (except for 2) were born in the Bath district, the last Giles born in Bath but christened in Box Wiltshire not far. It was following Giles that I found the link. Giles worked for GWR and moved after the 1851 census, there is a christening in Swindon for another daughter, then the trail went cold again, a couple of years ago a couple more were added on the LDS site in Melcombe Regis Dorset. This is where we found Giles and his son Giles in 1861 census. Of the 2 daughters born in Dorset Ann was with the family her grandmother in Box, this Ann we didnít know where she was from or whose child, the other daughter died soon after birth. The Wife we found died in Bath with Giles Aunt, Ann Brown, and luck had it Ann had a daughter born 1839 and the certificate said Annís maiden name was Simpkins. So now we are 99.9% sure of our link, before it was only a possibility. This family we have lost after 1871, only 2/3 children, all other children had died. The father Giles died and Giles son went missing also, we canít find a marriage for Ann or a son Henry of a 2nd marriage no Death certificate either we can only hope something will turn up one day.

Now we have the census on line it does make tracing them easier, but a few years ago it was a lot harder. A trip to London and searching censuses takes a lot of time. Many a Friday was spent up there.

As someone put it leave out politics and religion this site is about hunting your family and any means is very welcome. By all means mention it but it shouldnít be used because we are of a different religion/faith. And what a great way to make new friends when itís giving help or receiving help.

Irene

JeanetteH
09-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Linda[/QUOTE]

If it wasn't for the LDS family history centres, which I can visit at no charge, and no charge for their equipment or the films, fiches and books held in their library, I would never have been able to get as far as I have with my family research.

I am not a member of their church, and I have never been asked to join the church or submit any of my research to them during the 5 years that I have been using their library.

Anyone with access to the internet can access the information on their website for free. Hands up any family researcher who can say they have NEVER used that free service. All we have to remember is to double check the information.

I for one am very thankful of their hospitality, whether it is considered "christian" or not.

Linda

I wholeheartedly agree with this. This has been my experience also.

Incidentally, one thing I have found is that not everything the LDS have filmed is on the IGI.

Jeanette.