PDA

View Full Version : Resswille/Cresswell?

JerryWillmott
22-09-2005, 9:20 AM
I am trying to fill in a few ancestral gaps - one is my great aunt Clara CLASPER b. c1872. The census information I had to date was born in Newcastle, but I found her in the 1901 census as a servant girl in London and she gave her birthplace as Resswille, NBL.

I'm guessing this could be Cresswell. Could anyone do a look-up of her parents in the 1871 census? Father was Thomas Henry CLASPER, mother Jane SCOTT (maybe!!) - I do know they were not married at the time, so Clara's birth details are not in the civil registers.

Most grateful for any assistance,

JW
Wellington NZ

hope full
22-09-2005, 9:05 PM
Hi JW

I can't help with the 1871 I'm afraid, but you mentioned London, so I had a
look at the 1881, and I've found your Clara with her family.

RG11/0501 Folio: 41 Page: 10
14 Wellington St.
Bromley St Leonard
London
Thomas Clasper/Head/Mar/30/Slater/Newcastle, Northumberland
Jane Clasper/Wife/Mar/27/Newcastle, Northumberland
Clara Clasper/Daur/9/Scholar/Newcastle, Northumberland
Edith Clasper/Daur/7/Scholar/Poplar, Middlesex
Roda Clasper/5/Daur/Scholar/Poplar, Middx
Hanney Clasper/3//Daur/Scholar/Poplar,Middx
Jane Clasper/1/Daur/Poplar, Middx

I then had a quick look on FreeBMD and I spotted an entry for Clara's
sister Edith. So if as you say, you've had no luck with a birth registration for Clara, at least a birth certificate for Edith could help you confirm mother Jane's maiden name.

Births Jun 1874
Clasper Edith Poplar 1c 697

Good luck
Hope

jeeb
22-09-2005, 9:35 PM
Hi Jerry,
I wonder if you have looked at the image for Clara in 1901 or have you taken this information from FreeBMD index. I looked at the 1901 image for you and though the writing leaves a lot to be desired I feel fairly certain it says born Newcastle.
Cheers Jeremy

jeeb
22-09-2005, 9:38 PM
In addition to the information I have just given, incase you didn't know, there is an Emily Clasper on 1901 census at the same address aged 17 born Poplar. Clara is aged 29, probably sisters.
Jeremy