PDA

View Full Version : Coroners Reports

Barry B
16-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Is it possible to purchase Coroners Reports, I'm looking for date 1904 in Stourbridge/Kingswinford area, Coroner for South West Staffordshire.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Barry

spring1
16-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I have very limited experience but when I was looking for one in Herts discovered that they were not always retained. I got my information from a local paper so perhaps that could be your first port of call?

Peter Goodey
16-05-2011, 11:47 AM
The trouble is they're not designated "public records". Here's a useful quote "From 1921 the Public Record Office required all surviving records dating from before 1875 to be retained permanently, but advised that more recent records need only be kept for 15 years". It's just chance and local practice what might have survived.

You would need to ask Staffordshire Record Office what they might have.

Most people get more joy out of newspaper reports.

MarkJ
16-05-2011, 1:13 PM
I also suggest newspaper reports. Reports from back before WW2 are often quite detailed and contain all sorts of useful information which is useful to the genealogist. My great grans sister was murdered and the newspaper report is extremely graphic in its description (it would not be permitted to be so detailed today!) and mentions lots of witnesses etc by name and place.

Barry B
16-05-2011, 8:38 PM
Thanks to all above, will contact Staffordshire Record Office, and will also try and find which newspapers were available in Pensnett/Kingswinford/Stourbridge areas at that time (Nov 1904) were the incident took place.

LittleSpark
16-05-2011, 9:15 PM
Hi Barry
I'm going to Dudley Archives tomorrow - if you can give me details of what you're looking for I can check in The Dudley Herald to see if its in there. I know the Archives has it on microfilm but not sure what year it starts.
I know it was the local paper at the time so hopefully it might cover the area you're interested in.

Sheila

Barry B
16-05-2011, 9:35 PM
Hi Sheila

It's the death of Benjamin Broom 25th Nov 1904, Tansey Green, Pensnett. On the death certificate it states "Certificate received from (Coroners name) Coroner for South West Staffordshire" inquest held 29th Nov 1904. Cause of death, died from injuries accidentally inflicted. Accidental death.

Thanks in advance, if you require the Coroners name let me know.

Barry

LittleSpark
16-05-2011, 9:42 PM
Hi Barry,
Hopefully as it's Pensnett it might be in there as it's only a stone's throw from Dudley. :smile5:
Will let you know if I find anything.

Sheila

LittleSpark
17-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi Barry,
The Dudley Herald was published weekly so checked from Saturday 26th November 1904 to Saturday 24th December 1904.
Even though it does cover Pensnett/Kingswinford I couldn't find anything at all.
I asked a member of Staff who said it's probably held by South West Staffs area, possibly in The County Express.
So sorry I couldn't find anything...... I wish you luck in your search.

Sheila

Barry B
17-05-2011, 8:29 PM
Hi Shelia,

Thank you very much for trying to find it for me.

I'm thinking of travelling down to the Dudley Archives in a couple of weeks time when our school shutdown for the holidays. I need to look at the Parish Registers for the Dudley area to look for the birth and marriage of Benjamin.

Thanking you once again

Barry

LittleSpark
18-05-2011, 8:39 AM
Hi Barry,
Dudley Archives close the last FULL week in every month now in preparation for when they move in 2 years time.
So they will be closed 23rd May - 27th May and 20th June - 24th June.
I would therefore recommend that you ring them to make an appointment before you go as they do get pretty busy due to the week they're closed.
Their telephone number is: 01384 812770.

I don't know when I'll be going again but if you give me details I'll try and find baptism / marriage for you if you can't make it.

Sheila

Barry B
19-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Hi Shelia,
Thanks, Iv'e been trying to find the births and marriage of Benjamin Broom(e) and Ann Gill, I cannot find any records for this period, it must all be in the Parish Records and not yet published online anywere that I can find.

Benjamin was born about 1820 in Stilton, Shropshire, according to the 1861 census.
Mary Gill was born about 1823 in Dudley, Worcestershire. With a famiy of 8 children.

One of the girls named Caroline was born 3rd April 1853. Christened 8th April 1855 at St Thomas, Dudley, Worcestershire. there eldest child Job was born about 1843 which must have been close to the marriage date.

Benjamin died 1904 in Pensnett so I assume the family spent there whole time in the area.

Other records give Benjamin (Benjn) being born in Cleobury Mortimer, Dudley which I believe would be St James church. They also show Ann Gill born 1821 in Sedgley, North Seisdon, Dudley.

I hope you can fathom the above out, thanks again.

Barry

LittleSpark
20-05-2011, 3:25 PM
Hi Barry,
Cor, this is a stinker!
Can't help with Stilton, Shropshire - never heard of it so 'googled' it and up pops Stilton cheese........

Who's Mary Gill born 1823 Dudley?
Cleobury Mortimer does not come under Dudley.

IGI does show bap for Caroline as d/o Benjamin & Ann but doesn't give any more children - can't see anything for Job.

There's an Ann Gill bap 1.9.1822 St. Thomas, Dudley d/o Joseph & Sarah on IGI which also shows another daughter, Priscilla bap 4.7.1819.

West Midlands BMD confirms that Benjamin Broom did die in 1904 - Kingswinford (which Pensnett would come under)

Can find NO marriage for Benjamin & Ann anywhere - have looked on FreeBMD from1838-1854.

I'm not being much help to you - so at the moment the only thing I can confirm is the bap for Caroline - oh dear!

Sheila

Barry B
20-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi Sheila
1891 census shows Benjamin Broom(e) born in Pensnett, Staffordshire.
1901 census shows Benjamin born in Chedbury, Salop.

I'm sorry I did'nt make myself very clear Mary Gill was the wife of Benjamin, they had 8 children on the 1861 census.

Job aged 18, Agnes aged 13, Elizabeth aged 12 (this is my G Grandmother), Jane aged 10, Caroline aged 8 (this is the one we can find birth records for), Edwin aged 6, Alice aged 3 and Mary A 4 days.

Thanks for all your help, I will have to keep on searching.

Barry

LittleSpark
21-05-2011, 1:52 PM
Hi Barry,
You say Mary was the wife of Benjamin yet the baptism for Caroline 1855 at St. Thomas on IGI says d/o Benjamin & ANN.
I've found them on 1881 living at Smithy Lane Rd. Kingswinford:
It shows Benjamin 58 born Shropshire, ANN (wife) 56 born Dudley, Jane 26 born Dudley, Caroline 24 born Pensnett, Edwin 22, Mary Ann 20 and Benjamin 12 born Kingswinford.

Still can't find a marriage for Benjamin to either Mary or Ann.
IF you ever find it let me know - in the meantime I'll carry on searching.

Sheila

LittleSpark
21-05-2011, 2:16 PM
Also found:
Agnes Broom bap. 3.6.1849 - St. James, Dudley - d/o Benjamin & ANN.
Edwin Broome bap 2.11.1856 - Kingswinford - s/o Benjamin & ANN.

Can't find any of the others.

In #12 you mention an Ann Gill b1821 - Sedgley - who's this?

Sheila

Barry B
21-05-2011, 8:13 PM
I'm sorry, I'm wrong Ann Gill was the wife of Benjamin Broom, I don't know were Mary popped up from it must have been a senior momment.

Thanks for the 2 bap above, I'll keep on searching for that marriage, thats my brick wall now.

Barry.

LittleSpark
22-05-2011, 8:44 AM
Thanks Barry - thought I was going doo-lalley!
I was even beginning to think that maybe Benjamin married a Mary Ann and that she used different names on census etc.
Funny we can't find marriage. Dudley's 'holdings lists' show that marriages at St. Marks, Pensnett didn't start until 1850 and Holy Trinity, Wordsley was built as the new Parish Church for Kingswinford replacing St. Mary's Kingswinford in 1831 so they could have married at Wordsley.
Will keep on looking..

Sheila

shirtylady
22-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I learned from a Death Certificate of one of my ancestors that a Coroner's inquest had been held, so I contacted my local main Library and they informed me that most Inquest proceedings are held in that particular area where the death occurred. I consequently visited the library with all the available information off the death certificate, asked to see the appropriate records, and took digital photographs of the whole thing. Most libraries don't seem to mind you taking digital photographs as long as you do not use flash. However, there is always a photocopier at hand at a small charge. There is also an amazing amount of information - Statements from members of family, doctors, police etc. Don't forget to look in the local newspapers around the same date as inquests were often reported.

Barry B
23-05-2011, 9:50 PM
Sheila

I've had Wordsley come up in my searches, stating that all the Parish Registers from St Mary, Kingswinford were transfered to Holy Trinity, Wordsley in 1832.
Unfortunately the better half has booked us a week in Scotland for this next school holiday, so I won't be able to make it to Dudley, what a shame! But i will certainly make it down there some day.

Shirtylady,

thanks for the above info, Shelia tried to find the Coroners Report for me in the local papers in Dudley Archives. I will try and locate the nearest main library to Prensnet, and see if they hold any info on Coroners Inquests for that area.

Barry

LittleSpark
24-05-2011, 7:27 PM
Barry - Pensnett Library is only a 'link' library so is open for only a limited number of hours each week. There is a library at Kingswinford but the main one would be at Dudley.
However all 'old' newspapers were transferred to Dudley Archives many years ago.
Perhaps you would be better ringing the Archives up and asking them where the Coroner's Report would be held for South West Staffs. area.

Sheila

Barry B
21-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi Shelia

sorry for the delay in replying, have had lots of computer problems, being unable to connect to some web sites this being one of them, must be a problem with ie9, I can't even connect to another website to download a different browser. Have had to reconnect my old harddrive with Vista installed.

I have been in touch with Staffordshire Records Office, they say that no coroner's reports for 1904 in the South West Staffs area have survived, and will have to use local newspapers.

Have contacted Dudley Archives and am awaiting a reply about the newspapers.

I would like to thank you once again for all the help given.

Barry

LittleSpark
25-06-2011, 1:59 PM
Hi Barry,
Just returned from our holiday - hence the delay in replying to you.
Sorry to hear Staffordshire Records Office can't help you - let me know what Dudley Archives have to say - I can always check newspapers again for you.

Sheila

Barry B
29-06-2011, 9:48 PM
Hi Shelia

Have just had a reply from Dudley Archives, they say the papers for the Pensnett area in 1904 would be the Brierly Hill Advertiser and The County Express.

All this help is very much appreciated,

Barry

LittleSpark
30-06-2011, 1:46 PM
Hi Barry,
Thanks for letting me know - will make a note of them and the next time I go to Dudley Archives will ask if they have them.
As far as I'm aware, the only newspaper they have on micro-film is the Dudley Herald which I checked for you.
Perhaps they have the actual newspapers? I have seen other researchers looking at original newspapers when I've been there.
Not sure when I'll be going but will let you know if I come up with anything.

Sheila

Barry B
30-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Sheila

They say that they have both newspapers, but did not say in which format they hold them.

There's no rush don't go out of your way for this, it's fantastic that you are willing to do this for me.

Barry

LittleSpark
05-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi Barry - finally found it at last!

Benjamin was killed by a train while picking up a piece of coal off the track. He was very deaf and didn't hear the warning given by a foreman.

I have taken copies of both entries that appeared in the 2 newspapers, as one gives more details than the other.
If you pm me with your e-mail address I'll gladly send them on to you.

Got there in the end!

Sheila

Barry B
06-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi Sheila

thank you very much, it's great news.

I have pm my e-mail address to you.

Barry

Barry B
06-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks Sheila

have received both copy's of the newspaper, printed them off and placed in files.

Can't thank you enough for the help and patience that you have shown during this search.

I can know say that the original question has been answered in full.

Barry

Mutley
06-07-2011, 10:37 PM
This is a definite 'success story'.
Lovely to read and a well done to all concerned. :smile5:

LittleSpark
07-07-2011, 1:26 PM
Hi Barry,
Glad to be of help - still have to find Benjamin's marriage!
If you ever need any more help with your family from Pensnett, just contact me.

Sheila

janjohn
15-09-2012, 5:23 AM
Barry. I am looking for the parents of your Benjamin Broome are you able to help. Please note a search for him
turned up a newspaper article detailing the circumstances of his death. This can be found on ancestory.com
refer harrington family tree. Note i met you about 10 years ago at a bbq

Regards
jan john