PDA

View Full Version : Surprise child

annabel
06-06-2009, 2:57 AM
Whilst browsing through a newspaper site I was stunned to find a reference to a daughter of Sir Thomas Vezey Strong a Lord Mayor of London, who died in 1920. I was under the impression he was childless. It was on a ship in 1936. Mrs Violet B Thrower, and her husband Dr William R Thrower who was connected with Dorset. I have looked through the directories of the GMC on A** and found him registered in 1925, and in Weymouth in 1935 his middle name is Raynor
However to prove the relationship to Sir Thomas I need a birth or marriage and I cannot find any.
Sir Thomas was born in 1855 so I guess any child could be born from 1875 and her marriage from 1893, although Thomas married for the only time I know of in 1900. Has anyone any ideas?

Annabel

mike lee
06-06-2009, 3:04 AM
could you rephrase your questions?? im not quite sure who you are refering to,,and what exact information you are looking for ??/ regards,,,Mike.

AdeleE
06-06-2009, 3:17 AM
If you mean that Violet B Thrower is the daughter of Thomas Vasey Strong, you may wish to research these two birth registrations:

Births Jun 1884
Strong Violet Beatrice Camberwell 1d 886
Births Jun 1885
Strong Violet Beatrice Islington 1b 236

The second one could imply a late registration?

I'll have a look for her/them on the census records.

Adele

AdeleE
06-06-2009, 3:31 AM
Well, one of the Violets is the daughter of a George R Strong, born Glasgow. She's variously listed in the 1891 and 1901 census as being born in Peckham or London.

AdeleE
06-06-2009, 3:43 AM
And then there's this Rootsweb posting, which clouds the situation even further:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENUKI/1997-07/0869432569

......who the Lord Mayor (s) of London was during the period of the WWI. I am looking for a woman who was the daughter, Violet, who married Wilfred Moule. Wilfred "Sam" Moule, was killed on the dirigible R101, Oct 4, 1930......

Adele

annabel
06-06-2009, 3:48 AM
Sorry to be confusing. what I am trying to find is proof that Violet Thrower nee Strong was Thomas Vezey Strong's daughter through finding documents which would name him as the father. William was her husband.
Adele- thanks for looking. Thomas lived and worked in the City of London itself right until almost the end of his life, so initially those 2 Violets do not sound quite right, although he could have travelled of course. I have Thomas in all the censuses with his family before he married at the age of 45, no Violet. As Violet's husband William was qualified in 1925 I thought that he could have been about 25 at that time, so Violet could have been born as late as 1900 if she was of a similar age!

AdeleE
06-06-2009, 4:10 AM
I've just found the couple listed exactly as you had named them travelling from Kingston Jamaica on the Ariguani arriving 9 Nov 1936 at Avonmouth. She is 32 years old and he is 34. Their address is 8 Belvedere, Weymouth.
Annoyingly, the page on Anc* that would show deaths on the voyage is not included.

Adele

annabel
06-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Adele- Thank you for finding all this. In the newspaper there was no age for them so this is a great help. So that means Violet was born after Thomas' marriage. The address you gave is the same I had for her husband William Thrower.
The rootsweb thread that you found is very interesting. I wonder if Violet married this Wilfred Moule before she married William Thrower? However I cannot find a marriage for Violet B Moule to Thrower either...
Annabel

AdeleE
06-06-2009, 11:50 AM
After further googling "Wilfred Moule" and "Violet", it appears that this Violet's second name was May & she remarried to a Turner, so a red herring....

Have you found the Thomas Vezey Strong family in the 1911 census?

Adele

gasser
06-06-2009, 12:48 PM
You may or may not have seen this article which appeared in the London Gazette 26 November 1920 asking for any persons with claims or demands on the estate of Sir Thomas Vezey Strong

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/32139/pages/11745/page.pdf

Might be worth pursuing his will.................?

gasser
06-06-2009, 1:07 PM
re:
Have you found the Thomas Vezey Strong family in the 1911 census?

In 1911, Thomas Vezey Strong and his wife were visitors at the residence of Sir Henry George Smallman, a retired solicitor - no mention of a daughter with them, only a servant.
address:3 DEVONSHIRE PLACE EASTBOURNE,Sussex
(RG78PN208 RD71 SD2 ED21 SN149)

there is a Violet Strong listed as aged 12 living in St Pancras London - unfortunately I have no credits to check this.

annabel
06-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone. Its a shame that that other lead was a red herring. Now I have no reason that I have not found the marriage of Violet to William. I think I may have Violet's birth in 1905 although it was in Woolwich which is a little odd. The reason that I was so surprised to find mention of her was that in all the things written about him and his wife as Lord Mayor there was nothing about a child, not even in the 1911 census, when she would have been 7 if I'm right. Does anyone know anywhere else I can look apart from the marriage index on A**
Annabel

Mutley
06-06-2009, 11:01 PM
The only marriage I can find of a William Thrower to a Violet is a Doncaster marriage in Dec 1922 of William Thrower to Violet Platt. 9c/1573

There are a couple of possible Yorkshire Violet Platts on the 1911 census.

Sorry, I can find nothing connected to Thomas Strong. :(

Mutley
06-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Ances*** has the 1902 Post Office Directory with Thomas Vezey Strong ESQ as an alderman of Queenhithe. His residence is 196 Upper Thames Street EC. He was an alderman from 1897.However, I have the actual Directory and am struggling to find him in it at that address. I'll have to look again tomorrow.

The 1902 Kelly's Directory lists Strong, Thomas Vezey JP of Prospect House, Ganwick Corner.

I know it sounds stupid but there was not two Thomas Vezey Strongs was there? No, that's a silly idea.... :confused:

Oh, BTW did he marry Elizabeth Hartnoll in Barnet in 1900 and was his mother called Keturah and father John?

annabel
07-06-2009, 2:47 PM
Mutley,
Thomas Vezey Strong did live at Upper Thames Street, he had a stationary business there Strong and Hanbury. He died at Ganwic, Barnet in 1920, but I did not know when he moved there, he was in Kensington in 1901, so he must have moved in 1902. I had not seen the name of the house before, I had never really understood the address, so thanks very much for that.

So that means that Violet was probably born in Ganwic which might help when I look for her in other things because she was never with her parents, which is why I did not know of her.

Thomas' wife was Elizabeth (Lillie) Mary Hartnoll and her family home was in Ganwic, which I had always thought was the name of the house. His mother was Keturah Fricker which is partly why I am researching him, as my gg grandfather was James Fricker and there is some sort of connection which I am trying to find. Thomas' father was John

Whether I find a connection or not Thomas is so interesting that I am enjoying it anyway

Annabel

JAP1
07-06-2009, 3:27 PM
Hi annabel,

Perhaps Violet just claimed important parents though they weren't hers!

Sorry!

Or perhaps journalists made wrong assumptions!

It's sort of interesting that Thomas had a niece Florence Vezey STRONG (aged 8 - b 1893 Lambeth) living with him in 1901.
And another interesting guy is Talbot Vezey STRONG b 1898 Deptford, a nephew with other folk in 1901.

Like you, I've Googled extensively and no mention of a child or children to Sir Thomas Vezey STRONG.

Perhaps Violet was a 'Vezey STRONG' but was actually a niece rather than a daughter of Thomas's.

Regards,

JAP

annabel
07-06-2009, 3:36 PM
Thanks Jap, I did wonder if it was wishful thinking! However I have a possible birth for her which I am applying for which might help me link them
annabel

annabel
07-06-2009, 3:58 PM
Of course the strange thing is that the family name of Thomas' father was only Strong, the Vezey being added because Thomas' maternal grandmother's maiden name was Mary Vezey, I thought. So the Vezey Strong name only came about when his parents got together. So where do the other Vezey Strongs come from (I have found others), especially this Florence?

AdeleE
07-06-2009, 8:39 PM
I have found this marriage registration:

Q2 1929
Vol 1a Page 1234
Marylebone

William R Thrower
Violet B Pollard

Adele

annabel
07-06-2009, 9:42 PM
Well, I don't know what to say to that! Either it is a coincidence or Violet married before - she was definately described as the former Miss Strong
Thanks for finding it Adele, I will see what I can find out

Mutley
07-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Goodness me! This Thrower fellow didn't alf throw hisself around.:D
Sorry, I'll leave now~~~~~~;)

AdeleE
08-06-2009, 1:51 AM
Oddly enough there is a Pollard in the Thomas Vezey Strong household in 1901:

Thomas V Strong 43
Lillie Strong 25
Christine Hartnoll 22
Adeline B Hartnoll 20
William C Lynes 20
Florence V Strong 8
Mary A Pollard, servant, widowed, 50, cook domestic, b. Cornwall, Kemoyes(?)
Rosamond M Gridley 30
Caroline R Lawrence 22
Rose Angell 19
Alice Nuttall 22

Now I know that she would be too old to have a child in 1904, but perhaps there was a younger female relative in the household in 1904????

Adele

Karen Newman
08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
...is announced in the Times of 19 June 1928:

Dr W R Thrower & Miss V B Pollard

The engagement is announced between Dr William Rayner Thrower, son of the late George Thrower and Mrs Thrower, formerly of Barnet, and Violet Beatrice Pollard, adopted daughter of Lady (Vezey) Strong, of Ganwic, Barnet.

Karen Newman
08-06-2009, 1:21 PM
The Times of Jun 18 1932 mentions the marriage of JOHN STRONG, adopted son of Lady (Vezey) Strong, to Dorothea Havers.

gasser
08-06-2009, 2:00 PM
Think that just about answers the original question - obviously adopted.
Violet Beatrice may well have some connection with their cook, Mary A Pollard as mentioned in the 1901 census - has the Vesey Strong household been checked in 1911? We know Thomas and his wife were away in Surrey at the time of 1911 census.

There is an entry for Violet Beatrice Pollard reg Jan Feb Mar qtr 1903 Oxford vol 3a page 1020 (sounds about right)

plus a further 2 entries for Violet B. Pollard in 1913 in qtrs JFM (handwritten entry) and AMJ at St Pancras and Pancras respectively, both entries give the mother's name as "Graf" (bit young to be getting engaged in 1928 - but... hey ho!)

AdeleE
08-06-2009, 2:22 PM
Incoming Passenger List 13 Apr 1930 Ship "Carere"

Lady Elizabeth Mary Strong, age 53, no occupation
John Strong, age 24, engineer
Address: 77 Cadogan Gardens, London SW3

Adele

annabel
08-06-2009, 9:51 PM
Well thank you all so much. I never spotted Pollard as a servant. How amazing you all are for finding all this. I was convinced that the other Violet was her.

Now I think I will get the cert for Violet B Pollard in 1903 to find the parents. As it is Oxford I wonder if mum was sent away to give birth to save embarassment?

Next- who is John Strong? I have a John Strong, Thomas' brother b 1855 and his father b 1812 but, and this is becoming familiar, I have never heared of this child.

I have just had a eureka moment! One of the mysterious mothers of the children of my gg grandfather James Fricker, who I have written about in a previous thread, and I am trying to connect with Thomas was Mary Ann born about 1855. She kept changing her name and I never found a marriage. Is it a coincidence? James was "single" in 1901

If anyone has easy access to the 1911 census, can they look at the family home to see who was left while they were out? Possibly Prospect House,Ganwic Corner, Barnet, or if not, 196 Upper Thames Street, London

gasser
08-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Incoming Passenger List 13 Apr 1930 Ship "Carere"

Lady Elizabeth Mary Strong, age 53, no occupation
John Strong, age 24, engineer

There is a John Owen Strong reg Hackney vol 1b pg.369 Sept qtr 1906 who fits the bill ??

gasser
08-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Just for interest there are a dozen or so pages about Thomas Vezey Strong in this online book including photos. (no mention of any children though!)

http://www.archive.org/details/steadsreview021911melbuoft

annabel
09-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks Gasser, I had not found this site before, it's very interesting, especially the mention of his love of driving his own carriages in light of James Fricker being a Hackney cab driver!
I wonder if John Strong was his original name, I have not been able to find Dorothea Havers marrying him, or anyone else for that matter, although I think I have found her birth in 1906

annabel
09-06-2009, 1:29 AM
I have looked at other trees on A**, who had Violet B Pollard born Oxford as married to someone completely different, and there were living relatives so this is obviously the wrong one. None of the other contenders seem so good. Does anyone have any ideas?

JAP1
09-06-2009, 4:06 AM
... I wonder if John Strong was his original name, I have not been able to find Dorothea Havers marrying him, or anyone else for that matter, although I think I have found her birth in 1906

Birth: Dorothea Evelyn HAVERS, March quarter 1906, E. Preston, Vol 2b, Page 297
Marriage: Dorothea E HAVERS & John STRONG, June quarter 1933, Bath, Vol 5c, Page 1130
Birth: STRONG John R, mother's name HAVERS, Dec qtr 1934, Kensington, Vol 1a, Page 124

It might be worth getting the 1929 marriage cert of William THROWER & Violet POLLARD (ref given in reply #19) to find out the age as given there for Violet, the name and occupation of her father (assuming she was legitimate), and names of witnesses which might give a clue.

Regards,

JAP

Karen Newman
09-06-2009, 6:01 AM
The tree on Ancestry may be wrong.

Using the info on that tree:

The GRO index has a Violet Beatrice Hawkins death reg in 1984 not 1990, and the entry gives a birth year of 1908.

She may have remarried but there are no Violet/Violet Beatrice deaths registered in Dorset for 1990 with a birth year of 1903.

JAP1
09-06-2009, 7:20 AM
Sorry! I probably didn't make myself clear. |oopsredfa

I haven't seen the Ancestry tree.

But what I was thinking was that the 1929 marriage cert might provide leads which might help determine whether or not the Violet POLLARD (adopted by Lady STRONG) who married William R THROWER in 1929 was the Violet from Oxford or not - and, whether or not, it might give some pointers to what her origins were. Especially (say) if it gave the name and occupation of her birth father.

AdeleE gave the THROWER/POLLARD marriage reference in reply #19 and Karen Newman showed that it was the correct reference in reply #23 with the great find of the engagement announcement which indicated that Violet was a STRONG by adoption but originally a POLLARD.

Of course the marriage cert might be no help at all - but worth a try?

Best regards,

JAP

gasser
09-06-2009, 9:37 AM
I wonder if John Strong was his original name, I have not been able to find Dorothea Havers marrying him, or anyone else for that matter

There is an entry for a marriage on bmd
Dorothea Havers and John Strong reg at Bath vol 5c pg 1130 June qtr 1933.

gasser
09-06-2009, 9:41 AM
sorry just noticed reply #32 by JAP1 .........jumped in too soon !

JAP1
09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi gasser |wave|,

No problem. :D

Everybody's so enthusiastic that the answers must be forthcoming soon.

JAP

gasser
09-06-2009, 12:14 PM
There is an obvious Pollard link and the only Pollard so far mentioned is
Mary A Pollard who was a cook in 1901 census. In 1911 she is shown here and this also confirms Violet was born in Oxford 1903 and John in Littlehampton, Sussex around 1905/6

1911 census: address PENRYN BIRCHINGTON-ON-SEA,Thanet,Kent

(RG14PN4479 RG78PN184 RD63 SD1 ED5 SN124)

HOUSEHOLD:

POLLARD: MARY occ SERVANT status WIDOW aged 62 HOUSEKEEPER DOMESTIC KENYEN CORNWALL

RAYNER:FLORENCE SERVANT WIDOW F 29 COOK DOMESTIC CLIFTON SOMERSET

WINDSOR:CONSTANCE SERVANT SINGLE F 25 HOUSE PARLOURMAID DOMESTIC CAMDEN TOWN LONDON

CONTOIS:VERTAN, IRENE GOVERNESS SINGLE F 28 GOVERNESS FRANCE RESIDENT

STRONG, VIOLET DAUGHTER [F] age 8 OXFORD
STRONG, JOHN SON [M] age 5 LITTLEHAMPTON SUSSEX

note on the original transcript in red written below John and Violet's entries says "note: parents away from home" - Thomas and Elizabeth were in Surrey at time of this census.

annabel
09-06-2009, 12:58 PM
You are all just amazing, thank you so much.

I thought that that A** tree would be correct as the living people would know such recent events. That just shows you can't assume anything.

Thank you Gasser for looking up 1911. That pinpoints Violet and also John, which was particularly common.

And thanks for finding John's marriage. I must have missed it

I am certainly getting the two certificates for Violet, and we shall see what that tells us

BTW another coincidence? Violet's husband William's middle name was Raynor, and in 1911 there is a servant Florence Rayner

AdeleE
09-06-2009, 1:21 PM
This Mary A Pollard appears to be shaving some years off her age as time progesses.

I think she is found on the 1871 census here:

Mary A Pollard, head, wid, 32, b. Kenwyn, Cornwall
Elizabeth J Pollard, daughter, 8, b. Gwennap, Cornwall

Carharrack, Gwennap, Cornwall
Class: RG10; Piece: 2313; Folio: 27; Page: 18

and the 1881 census here:

Mary A. Pollard, head, wid, 42, church mission, b. Kenwyn, Cornwall
Elizabeth J. Pollard, daughter, 18, dressmaker, b. Gwennap, Cornwall

61 Union Street,Camborn, Corwall
Class: RG11; Piece: 2334; Folio: 110; Page: 3

and the 1891 census here:

Mary A Pollard, wid, 46, Cook, b. Kenwyn, Cornwall
as a servant for Anne F Howis at Ashurst Lodge, Trinity Road

Brixton, Norwood, Lambeth, London
Class: RG12; Piece: 417; Folio 25; Page 1

Do you think that daughter Elizabeth J could be the mother of Violet Beatrice?

Adele

gasser
09-06-2009, 1:51 PM
Interestingly .....there is an Elizabeth J Pollard who married Arthur John Lawrence in 1884 (EJP disappears after 81 census) Southampton and there is a Caroline R Lawrence in 1901 working in the Vezey household - thought I might have been onto something here but can't find any children born to that couple.........ah well .....c'est la vie!

annabel
09-06-2009, 7:45 PM
I notice that in 1881 Mary Pollard was at the Chirch Mission. I don't know if that means she was being helped, or she worked there, but Thomas Vezey Strong had a lot of links with church welfare and temperance missions so that might be a further connection.
But with those censuses, she is not the Mary Ann I have been looking for in connection with James fricker. Well it was a nice idea

annabel
20-06-2009, 1:12 AM
Here is an update now I have got the 2 certs. It seems that the Mary Pollard in the strong family could have been a red herring.

Violet's father was Frederick William Pollard b 1869 in Oxford a hairdresser/tobacconist with his own shop
Her mother was Lilly Pollard formerly Carter b 1873 in Oxford

There were also siblings
Catherine b 1894
Emily b 1896
Frederick Hy b 1897
last address is 111 St Aldale Street, St Aldale, Oxford

When Violet married none of the Pollards were witnesses, only Elizabeth Strong and another unidentified person

I have gone backwards and found the family in censuses but I am wondering what happened after Violet's birth in 1903 that meant she was adopted.

I wonder if there is anyone who can easily look up the 1911 census to see what happened to the rest of the family?

Thank, Annabel

christanel
20-06-2009, 6:29 AM
I hope I am not jumping in here where angels fear to tread (rainy day and I am bored) Without actually paying to view the 1911 census there are some basic results.
A Lilly Pollard age 38 residing in Wandsworth with a Catherine Pollard age 17.
An Emily Pollard age 15 living in St Marylebone.
A Frederick Henry Pollard age 14 in an institution in Watford Hertfordshire.

I thought maybe the father Frederick William had died so went looking on FreeBMD and the only Frederick W death was March 1/4 1906 age 36 vol 2b page 257. The district was E. Preston and I notice there is a connection with John Strong and E. Preston in the posts. Not being in from the beginning leaves me a bit bewidered. (normal state for me!)

All the names and ages for the above are in the right time frame.

The only William Pollard I could find on the 1911 census was born 1866 and living in Headington Oxfordshire.

If nothing else I may have saved you some time in searchng.
Good luck
Christina

annabel
20-06-2009, 5:07 PM
Thanks Christina, that is very interesting. It places some of the family in the London area to link with the Strongs, and Emily is in St Marylebone where her sister married.

The E Preston as the place where Frederick William died is the same as the birth place of the wife of Violet's adopted brother John so I think that is probably a coincidence, although I don't know what he was doing there.

It makes sense that the family would have a hard time without dad and as the youngest Violet would need more care and so would have to be adopted, but how on earth did they get together with the Strongs? I still cannot find a link with their servant Mary Pollard

christanel
21-06-2009, 6:48 AM
Well I have spent quite a lot of time looking for Mary Ann Pollard and a possible link to Frederick William born 1869.
I found one F. W born 1869 in Oxford with parents Frederick b.1839 Lodgwick Bucks and Catherine b. 1842 Thetlinger Bucks. Also in the household was an Esther Ann Hagar sister of Catherine age 18 but no marital status given. Frederick age 2 Catherine age 4 Ernest H. age 7. RG10/1440/15/23 St. Ebbe Oxfordshire.

So I then went to 1861 but the only one near the right age was born Stamford Lincs and was a commercial traveller and boarding in Islington.

As to Mary Ann Pollard in the 1871 census RG10; Piece: 2313; Folio: 27; Page: 18
she says she is the wife of "husband in N.America." Is she trying to save face when in fact she never married and I can't find a marriage for a Mary Ann ? to ? Pollard in the years before Elizabeth's birth. I only looked in Cornwall because that is where Mary Ann says Elizabeth was born.

There is a birth of an Elizabeth Pollard reg dist. Liskeard vol 5c page 59 Gwennap is in the Liskeard reg dist.

So it is possible that Mary Ann never married and Pollard is her maiden name. The Pollards also seem to be very poor through the generations.

I have also looked at Mary Ann born 1839 or thereabouts but nothing stands out at this stage.
Sorry I can't make that link. (yet)
Christina

annabel
21-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Hello Christina,
the thing you have found about Mary Ann is very interesting. I did not realise that her "husband" was away in America. Would it be likely that a family so poor would be able to go so far away? It sounds likely to me that she was unmarried too...

As for Frederick, I have also found him in the census, and in 1901 his sister Catherine Hore, the 3rd Catherine, was living there as well with her daughter augusta.

I have found Frederick in the 1995 Kelly's directory with 2 shops, a confectioner and a tobbaconist. He is gone the next time I found any Pollards in 1907 which supports the theory that he died in 1906

In both Kelly's there was a samuel Pollard, a confectioner, in the same roads as some of Frederick's, I wonder if he is the same family.

In 1895 I also found Frederick's mother in the same road as a dressmaker, which she was on the census.

As for Ernest H, the only record I could find after that census was a death in 1879. He was not in any further census either. However in 1907 there was an Ernest Pollard as proprieter of a temperance hotel in Chilworth, Wallingford, Oxfordshire. I was interested in this because Violet's adopted father Thomas Vezey Strong was heavily invoved in the temperance movement and has links with temperance hotels. Perhaps this is another possilble link between the two families

There are so many coincidences in all this...
Annabel

Joanna.L
09-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Intrigued by this correspondence as Violet Strong (later Thrower) was my grandmother and her brother John my great uncle - married to Dorothea. Can I help with any information on all of these questions?Obviously her husband William Rayner Thrower was my grandfather.

Joanna.L
14-07-2009, 6:42 PM
I've just found the couple listed exactly as you had named them travelling from Kingston Jamaica on the Ariguani arriving 9 Nov 1936 at Avonmouth. She is 32 years old and he is 34. Their address is 8 Belvedere, Weymouth.
Annoyingly, the page on Anc* that would show deaths on the voyage is not included.

Adele

The reason my mother and father went to Jamaica was to have a holiday after the birth of my brother! Can remember waving from the window to them across Weymouth Bay! (My brother a small baby in the arms of our nanny.) My birthplace was also 8 Belvedere, Weymouth. Have learnt a lot from your discoveries but might be able to set you straight on some of your queries. We have never known the names of my mother's older siblings before and are getting very intrigued with all this! ( Joanna.L is the youngest of my daughters by twenty minutes!) My grandmother was Lily Carter before she married Frederick Pollard.
My Uncle John was only three months old (Born 1905) when his father died and my mother three years old.( Born February 5th 1903) Their mother insisted that both of them should be together although my mother told me the Strongs only wanted a baby boy and she was taken reluctantly. She also told me the local Doctor was involved in the arrangement. Mary Strong was also known to me and my cousins, although not a blood relation to us, as e member of the extended family! Yrs Valerie|wave|

Joanna.L
14-07-2009, 6:46 PM
The reason my mother and father went to Jamaica was to have a holiday after the birth of my brother! Can remember waving from the window to them across Weymouth Bay! (My brother a small baby in the arms of our nanny.) My birthplace was also 8 Belvedere, Weymouth. Have learnt a lot from your discoveries but might be able to set you straight on some of your queries. We have never known the names of my mother's older siblings before and are getting very intrigued with all this! ( Joanna.L is the youngest of my daughters by twenty minutes!) My grandmother was Lily Carter before she married Frederick Pollard.
My Uncle John was only three months old (Born 1905) when his father died and my mother three years old.( Born February 5th 1903) Their mother insisted that both of them should be together although my mother told me the Strongs only wanted a baby boy and she was taken reluctantly. She also told me the local Doctor was involved in the arrangement. Mary Strong was also known to me and my cousins, although not a blood relation to us, as e member of the extended family! Yrs Valerie|wave|Seem to have got muddled up with Joanna in this!

Joanna.L
14-07-2009, 7:09 PM
I hope I am not jumping in here where angels fear to tread (rainy day and I am bored) Without actually paying to view the 1911 census there are some basic results.
A Lilly Pollard age 38 residing in Wandsworth with a Catherine Pollard age 17.
An Emily Pollard age 15 living in St Marylebone.
A Frederick Henry Pollard age 14 in an institution in Watford Hertfordshire.

I thought maybe the father Frederick William had died so went looking on FreeBMD and the only Frederick W death was March 1/4 1906 age 36 vol 2b page 257. The district was E. Preston and I notice there is a connection with John Strong and E. Preston in the posts. Not being in from the beginning leaves me a bit bewidered. (normal state for me!)

All the names and ages for the above are in the right time frame.

The only William Pollard I could find on the 1911 census was born 1866 and living in Headington Oxfordshire.

If nothing else I may have saved you some time in searchng.
Good luck
Christina

You have got the right idea! My grandfather died and my grandmother Lily Pollard could only manage the three elder children and insisted the two little ones went together. Have sent another bit on the ladder today about the Jamaican trip! Mention my Mother and Uncle John being adopted by the Strongs etc; Have only just found all this and the cousins and daughters are fascinated! I'm concerned about my Uncle Fred in the Institution? Keep it up and we can find out lots more. Such fun. Valerie