View Full Version : William Blackett Richardson
05-06-2009, 9:27 AM
The title says it all.
He was a character but to what extent I am not sure.
Born Durham early 1800's
Married twice, in Durham in 1845 and Yorkshire in 1853 and then emigrated to NZ where I think he married another two times . Came to NSW circa 1868 and settled around the Newcastle area of NSW.
This bloke, my wife's g grandfather needs sorting out.
05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
The family names lived on as there's a William Blackett Richardson bn 1905 in Durham. 1911 census he's 6 yrs old in Durham.
His father could be Blackett Richo bn 1868c Durham
Good luck with your search.
06-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Found him at the NZbdm site http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/ however I had to put him in the bride column. The brides name isn't listed but you could order his marriage cert. 1864/2901 William Blackett Richardson.
07-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks to both of you for your help !
This is one complicated character. My particular problem is, that as Chisel says, there is an unexpected marriage in NZ in 1864. He went to NZ married to a Jane and Chisel's site should show the deaths of 2 Jane Richardsons, one in 1862 and the other in 1864.
A few years back I bought the death cert for the 1864 one as I didn't know the 1862 one existed. She died from "excessive drinking!" I even have a newspaper report of the day including the coronial enquiry. I need to accept that he had 3 Jane wives before he eventually married Ann Jane McCutcheon in Onehunga in 1865.
Have to buy a certificate or two.
07-06-2009, 4:07 AM
I was just about to offer to search the library fische's for the 1964 wife however since you have the certificate there's no need.
Did he marry the 1st Jane here or did he bring her over here?
07-06-2009, 5:35 AM
This is what I know:
* William Blackett Richardson marries Jane Peacock in Shildon Durham on 22 Feb 1845 I have the certificate
* In the 1851 Census he is living apart from Jane and reports himself as unmarried I have the census copies
* There are already children to the marriage but on 8 August 1853 a child, Mary Ann is born to WBR and a Jane Richardson (formerly Best) I have the certificate but I maintain they were not married at this stage as the first Jane was still alive This is a theory
* On 9 Aug 1858 WBR marries Jane Vest in Leeds I have the certificate and believe Best & Vest are the same surname I believe that Jane Peacock has now died so WBR can marry This is a theory
* WBR, Jane & Mary Ann sail from London on "Harwood" for NZ arriving on19 Nov 1859 I have the ship's passenger list
* Now we have the death of a Jane Richardson in 1862 and I believe she had to be the Jane Best/Vest
* Then we have WBR marrying in 1864 and my theory is that it was to a 3rd Jane because
* There is another Jane Richardson dying in Sep 1864 and I have both her death cert and newspaper report of the incident
SO!! I need to prove The Jane who died in 1862 was Jane Best/Vest and find out who WBR married in 1864
Then of course to round everything off WBR marries Ann Jane McCutcheon in St Peter's Church Onehunga on 22 March 1865.
Unless anyone knows a better way, I'll have to spend some money.
07-06-2009, 9:30 PM
I had to read that one a few times to get my head around it.
1. The fishe's will tell me the 1864 marriage bride will sort out in the next few days.
2. Do you know where in NZ the Jane vest/Best died (maybe the grave inscription mentions her maiden name). Else you nees to buy the certificate.
3. WBR's death certificate might have all his wives names on it. Certainly the marriage certificate should have the previous wife.
Thanks for the concise information list - at least I don't need to check what you have given me.
07-06-2009, 11:58 PM
I've been trying to get my head around this family for 5+ years!
At present I don't know where the Jane Best/Vest died, presumably in 1862. I will find that out if I go ahead and purchase the certificate.
But in 1865 according to the electoral roll for the city of Auckland West, WBR was living in Albert Street.
In the 1864 death according to the Inquest Report, the Richardsons were living in Grey St (Auckland ??).
Thanks for your continued interest.
08-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Auckland West is close enough.
The Anglican St Paul's register has Jane Richardson buried 27 September 1864, aged 27 years of Grey Street. Service by Rev Jones - reference 51/
Subjects Richardson, Jane, d.1864
Symonds Street Cemetery
Beers are on you |5cups|
08-06-2009, 8:58 AM
I suppose I need to find out who the Jane was who died in 1862 . Can anyone help ?
And then, the marriage of WBR in 1864. Who was the lady ?
And then, I would really love to know how the Richardson family got to Australia. Time/Date/Boat.
Any help much appreciated !
10-06-2009, 1:12 AM
WBR married 'Ann Jane McCutcheon' 1864.
Ref Fishe Foilo No.157
AJMcC does not appear in the NZBDM online search so she may not have been born here.
I've just reread your previous post - looks like there may be only 2 Jane's after all.
Will look another day for a Jane Richardson who died 1962.
Its unlikely that I'll be able to tell you anything about the ship voyage as most of it isn't on line.
10-06-2009, 4:09 AM
A couple of things niggling me!
1. Accepting that there may be typing errors on certificates, WBR's marriage to Ann Jane McCutcheon took place on 22 March 1865. The second Jane was still alive in 1864 up until 25 September 1864.
2. The new wife Ann Jane McCutcheon was still alive and living with her sons in NSW at least until the 1920's according to the NSW Electoral Roll. She was the daughter of a Fencible.
For the record, WBR died at Greta NSW on 1 March 1895. His arrival in NSW had to be before 28 Oct 1868 as he was declared Insolvent in the State Records of NSW on that date.
I am still of the opinion there was an extra wife in there somewhere.
Appreciate you sticking with it.
12-06-2009, 11:13 PM
From the NZBDM we get 2 Jane Richardsons that died around 1862/4
1862/382 Richardson Jane NR
1864/2987 Richardson Jane 28
I assume that the death of Jane in 1862 is the one mentioned in Paperpast of alcohol consumption?
From the NZBDM we get only 1 marriage for William in NZ
1864/2901 William Blackett Richardson wife is not recorded on this site.
My NZMarriage cd 1836-1956 gives WBR married to Ann Jane McCutcheon 1864 which is the same as my fische search (forgot I had the cd).
So I believe your next step if you really think the extra Jane is your lady is to get the death certificate.|wave|
Now the difference between date on the marriage certificate - is the 1865 date clearly written or could it possibly be a 1864?
The other option that somebody else might be able to answer is - If I apply for a marriage certificate, but don't actually get married for a year, what index would I show up on?
13-06-2009, 5:47 AM
I think the Jane he brought from England dies in 1862. He remarries quickly to another Jane remembering he has a young daughter to bring up in a foreign land. This Jane dies in 1864 from excessive drinking. The Inquest of this death is written up in the paper. Then he marries Ann Jane McCutcheon on 22 March 1865. This certificate is in front of me at the moment. It is a certified copy of Entry of Marriage and is typed. All numbers and words are clear. Definitely says 1865.
If an error has been made it is in the transcription from the original, which I have not seen, and the copy I have before me.
13-06-2009, 6:04 AM
All is not lost. I have noticed before that sometimes the NZBDM index is out by a year (just remembered) so 1865 is correct.
Does the marriage cert have his previous wives listed?
Might be time to put your hand into your wallet|idea|
13-06-2009, 11:39 PM
No previous wives listed on the marriage cert. You're right ! Money talks !
Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.1.3 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.