PDA

View Full Version : Winifred Ada Brogden

LHamiltonF1
26-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Winifred Ada Brogden was my grandmother who was a very private person who didn't like to discuss her life. I have her birth and death certificates she was born on the 11th October 1908 in Stoke Newington, Hackney her parents where Stanley Brogden and Eva Bailey who I believe were actors consequently they didn't want my grandmother and sent her to family in Derby. I believe she went to a convent school near Belper. She became an unmarried mother in 1929 in Newton Abbot, Devon and is supposed to have married my grandfather Stephen George Love about 1930 although I cannot find any such marriage I begining too wonder if they did marry. I have also look on the 1911 census for her and have found nothing (in fact I have been unable to find a single one of my relatives on the 1911 census even the ones I know exactly where they were so I am about to give up on it for the time being). I have been eagerly awaiting the 1911 census as I was so hoping the it would give me a lead to try and move forward. Any ideas I would be extremely grateful.

Mutley
26-03-2009, 11:50 PM
There is a Winifred Ada Godfrey Brogden born 1909 age 2 in Belper Derbyshire on the 1911 census. ;)

giveover
26-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Also

Stephen George Love born 1905, in Plymouth Devonshire on 1911 census

Kerrywood
27-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Further, there's a Stanley BROGDEN in Stockton on Tees in 1901.

RG13-4622 folio 108 page 7
Bowesfield Lane [no number] Stockton on Tees, Co. Durham
Arthur BROGDEN Head M 44 Professional Entertainer Lancashire Liverpool
Annie BROGDEN Wife M 31 Professional Entertainer Lancashire Liverpool
Ernest BROGDEN Son S 19 Professional Violinist Wales Merthur Tidvil (sic)
Stanley BROGDEN Son S 16 Professional Dancer Scotland Edinburgh
Winifred BROGDEN Daur S 14 Professional Dancer Durham South Shields
Percival BROGDEN Son S 11 Lancashire Liverpool

Then, Stanley BROGDEN, 22 (Comedian, father Arthur BROGDEN, Theatre Company Manager) married Constance E. BAILEY, 20 (Vocalist) on 4 September 1907 in Dundee.

(via Scotland's People).

Kerrywood

NatashaBatsford
27-03-2009, 9:06 AM
She became an unmarried mother in 1929 in Newton Abbot, Devon

Do you have the details of this birth as they are shown on freebmd.

Don't want to post them as the person could still be alive but can PM them if you need them?

LHamiltonF1
03-04-2009, 8:47 PM
Many Thanks to Finbar, Mutley, Giveover and Kerrywood,

You have all been so helpful I could have carried on for even more years to come not finding what I was looking for especially Winifred and Stephen's marriage as armed with the proper index information I gaily put it into Ancestry, Genes and Find my past and they all came back no matches found. So thanks to Finbar I have ordered the said marriage certificate from Gro and am waiting with baited breath.
Mutley I have looked at that Winifred Ada Godfrey Brogden on the 1911 census, I wasn't sure as my grandmother didn't have Godfrey as a middle name, the only other flimsy possible info was she had an auntie Nelly and auntie Daisy (married to Ted) none or whom were on the census and I wasn't sure about the nurse child either but if that is the only Winifred that appears it must be a strong possibility, so thankyou for that.
Giveover thank you but that isn't my Stephen George Love, mine was born in West Ham, London in June 1897.
Kerrywood Thank you for that 1901 census information it certainly looks like the right Stanley Brogden and it gives me a piece to my puzzle he obviously moved around which is why he doesn't appear in Hackney, London in the 1911 census even though he must have been there in 1908.
Many thanks too you all for your invaluable help.