PDA

View Full Version : emigration to australia

stonewall
16-03-2009, 3:45 PM
were do you get passenger list for people going to Australia in the 60s. Can fine before 1960 but not after.Also were do you go for Australia census as iv found the passenger list for the below. But were to go for census.

Fredk changed his name to mothers maiden name Rixon,emigrated Australia.married to a Maude.ref censurs australia191971925

Procat
17-03-2009, 7:38 AM
Hi Stonewall,

The Australian National Archives (http://www.naa.gov.au/) hold the records you are interested in. See this fact sheet (http://www.naa.gov.au/about-us/publications/fact-sheets/fs227.aspx).

Australia has destroyed the census except for some from the 1800's. On the last two there was an option to have your information retained for posterity. This will be made available in a 100 years or so.

stonewall
18-03-2009, 11:02 AM
thanks for your help but i had no luck was looking for a thomas mierau who moved out there in 1963 - 1965 . but when you put the name in all you get is 3 names who dont match. well it back to the drawing board ha ha

Procat
18-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Bummer.

Depending how cheeky you are there is always this (http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/initResSearch.do?) resource.

Seems a rare name - though many people have unlisted numbers now..

Dorset Girl
18-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Suggest you try where Procat says - try NSW.:)

stonewall
18-03-2009, 2:47 PM
i did that over a month ago wrote a note to a guy out there that i got from the white pages on the off chance. and it seems his the son of one off the daughters but he keeps sending letters asking me for more information on the family tree . so i keep sending but its one way traffic. then he says some off its wrong when i no it not. so was hopeing to find out myself when tom and hes family went and what they did.

Dorset Girl
19-03-2009, 1:47 AM
In that case I suggest you ring him - I've always had more success with a live conversation that snail mail or even emails - I've made several calls to the UK recently and everyone has been extremely helpful - and if you use Skype it's also extremely cheap!!
Marion

stonewall
19-03-2009, 9:46 AM
yes i was thinking about that what is the time differance. are you are about 10 hours in front, also the phone number on the white pages is that the full number. just did not like to phone people out of the blue.

Procat
19-03-2009, 9:54 AM
It is now 7.55pm in Victoria and New South Wales. Queensland is currently one hour behind that.

Brit Telecom may have a time zone comparison page - our white pages do.

That is the full number if dialing from within Australia. The (02) etc is the area code. I do not know what the code is for you to use for international calls from the U.K.

Dorset Girl
19-03-2009, 2:05 PM
This will help you with the time and calling details etc - I'm sure he will be fine - we are quite a friendly lot!!!!!:D

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/dialing.html?p2=136

christanel
19-03-2009, 9:41 PM
It is now 7.55pm in Victoria and New South Wales. Queensland is currently one hour behind that.

Brit Telecom may have a time zone comparison page - our white pages do.

That is the full number if dialing from within Australia. The (02) etc is the area code. I do not know what the code is for you to use for international calls from the U.K.

Drop the 0 from the 02 area code. Dialling from overseas doesn't use it in my experience.
Christina

Aussie-Bren
12-05-2009, 9:55 AM
I'm probably very late with replying this post but here goes...
Stonewall, do you know where the family emigrated to? Which state?
I came out in 1966 via the "scheme" (ten pound pom) with my parents and came directly to Adelaide.
The ships in use at that time were the "Sitmar Line", Fairsky, Fairsea, Fairstar and Castel Felice. There were probably others but you can try looking for information there, you never know what could turn up.
I know the Castel Felice sailed from Southampton in August 1966 and the Fairstar followed in September 1966.
Also my mum and dad did all their "emigratio business" through Australia House in London, have you tried them to see if they have anything?

stonewall
13-05-2009, 8:25 AM
I'm probably very late with replying this post but here goes...
Stonewall, do you know where the family emigrated to? Which state?
I came out in 1966 via the "scheme" (ten pound pom) with my parents and came directly to Adelaide.
The ships in use at that time were the "Sitmar Line", Fairsky, Fairsea, Fairstar and Castel Felice. There were probably others but you can try looking for information there, you never know what could turn up.
I know the Castel Felice sailed from Southampton in August 1966 and the Fairstar followed in September 1966.
Also my mum and dad did all their "emigratio business" through Australia House in London, have you tried them to see if they have anything?
hi thanks for the reply i think they went out by plane in the 1960's to sydney

harfin
15-05-2009, 8:56 AM
Hi there

I too migrated to Oz - in my case late 1963.

Purely from a personal interest viewpoint, I searched the database of the National Archives in Oz and could find no trace of my own entry. I then searched their archive for other folk who were on the same ship (the Castel Felice) - no trace for the late 1963 sailing. One of my older brothers had also migrated - 3 months earlier than I - and I found his archived migration record no problem (he went via P&O and not on the Sitmar line)

So I then emailed asking where my emigration record was as I couldn't locate it in their archive. I received a very prompt and helpful reply stating that for some reason none of the records of that sailing were on their database - for some inexplicable reason. They did send me however, a copy of the passenger list details proving that I wasn't going barmy!

Seems the record set is not complete.

Alan

Procat
15-05-2009, 9:07 AM
Cheers for that information Alan.

Wonder how many others are missing.

harfin
15-05-2009, 10:11 AM
The archives didn't say, but there were (if memory serves me aright!) several thousand migrants on the sailing I was on (I was passenger number 500 odd and my surname begins with H !

How many other sailings have not been added goodness knows.

Perhaps we should ask all migrants to check the records to see if you have been recognised .

:confused:

Alan

Aussie-Bren
16-05-2009, 3:57 AM
I wonder why records are missing? You would think 100 years ago maybe not these days. I came out on the Fairstar (Sitmar Line) arriving Adelaide 24th October 1966.
Are these National Archives free to look at or do you need to pay for that?

Procat
16-05-2009, 3:59 AM
Australian National Archives records (http://www.naa.gov.au/) are free to search. Many have also been digitised and are free to view.

ChristineR
16-05-2009, 5:55 AM
I wonder why records are missing? You would think 100 years ago maybe not these days.

The records are not missing in real life, just missing from the online database which is most likely still a work in progress.

(the Castel Felice) - no trace for the late 1963 sailing.

Harfin, is this the December trip that went on to Brisbane? There is a nominal roll online now.
There is another nominal roll for the same voyage to Freemantle, but it is not digitalized.

harfin
16-05-2009, 6:43 AM
Harfin, is this the December trip that went on to Brisbane? There is a nominal roll online now. There is another nominal roll for the same voyage to Freemantle, but it is not digitalized.

Hi Christine R

It is, I think. We arrived in Melbourne 22 December 1963. I know it went on to Sydney, but I cannot recall whether it went on to Brisbane.

I had a look, but still couldn't find any passenger records for that sailing.

Thanks
Alan