PDA

View Full Version : Death - Mariners death at sea?

Spangle
05-03-2009, 11:35 PM
I've just been told that a Master Mariner ancestor died at sea... something which, weirdly, I just knew but had no reason for thinking was the case, save that I knew what his occupation was. I have asked the lady who told me if she has any more info but curiosity is making me impatient (bless her, the lady is doubtless sensible and fast asleep by now!).

Can anyone indulge my insomnia and tell me if there are any online sources of deaths at sea/ships captains in the mid-1800s please? Or for that matter where I can seek further information (I have googled the name and variations of it without success). The man I am looking for is Charles Fox Oppenheim.

Thank you.

Spangle, Sleepless in South England!

Geoffers
05-03-2009, 11:53 PM
It depends on when in the mid-1800's.

There is the index to deaths at sea 1854-1890, available on pay-per-view sites. Find an entry and you can apply for a copy of the certificate.

Have a browse of this TNA research guide (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=246).

There may be other records - you won't necessarily find them on the inter-webby-thingy, but it very much depends on the date.