PDA

View Full Version : TINNENY, Hope Town, SA

lts1
19-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Listers
I've recently discovered multiple references in Hope Town South Africa for a possible ancestors namely Hugh Tinneny, unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with South African resources and really in a quandry as to where to start locating relevant data. With that in mind and I apologise in advance for the length of this email, I'm inserting all the information I hold on Hugh Tinneny and wondered if perhaps you might be able to guide me as to where I could possibly find further information with regard to Trade Directories, Immigration, Marriage, Catholic Cemeteries or other vital records relating to Hope Town itself.

This is the first piece of information found in the National Archives, Kew, London ref CO53/26, Extract from Eastern Province Herald Jan - June 1856, altogether there are 43 entries relating to Hugh Tinneny and his cases in the National Archives of South Africa. Hugh Tinneny was also a Justice of the Peace and wondered if there would be a list of these for the period.

Port Elizabeth Feb 5 1856

Hope Town (Division of Colesberg)
Mr. Hugh TINNENY
Law, General and Commission Agent
Hope Town
Any business entrusted to his care will be transacted
with punctuality and dispatch

Tuesday 12 February 1856

Also found another reference to Tinneny although unsure if this relates to the said Hugh Tinneny or not.

1852 KEI EXPEDITION The Albany List
List of Volunteers from Graham's Town and Neighbourhood who have gone on the

CONTRIBUTIONS: Tinneny 1pound

A further reference to Hugh Tinneny is included in the book "The Matabele Mission: A Selection from the Correspondence of John and Emily Urwin Moffat" written by John Peter Richard Wallace, 1858 - 1878, snippet under

".. of whoever ships, will kindly write and tell them, on the arrival of the beads, to advise Hugh Tinneny, Esq., of Hope Town, and to concoct with him proper means for having them transported up the country..."

Also searching for any information on James & Patrick TINNENY, James was a Corporal in the Frontier Armed and Mounted Police Force in South Africa when he died on March 23 1857 in the Military Hospital - unfortunately it does not state where.
My thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to assist, guide or advise.

Jan1954
19-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Hello Its1 and welcome to the forum.

A very good place to start would be to have a look at Sue's post (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21140), which gives some excellent sources to try for South African Genealogy.

Good luck with your search,

Sue Mackay
19-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi there |wave| Glad you have joined us! It was my transcription of the Eastern Province Herald that your ?cousin? in the USA spotted and got him into the search in South Africa. I know you have recently put a query on the Rootsweb ZA-IB list as well, so hopefully something will bear fruit. I have found a couple of references to him being listed with the Courts of Justice in the 1860s but no further information I'm afraid.