PDA

View Full Version : St Alban Parish, Holborn, London.

benny1982
19-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi

My ancestors lived in this parish from 1878 to 1889. They lived at Leather Lane, Portpool Lane, and Evelyn Buildings, which was a new tenement block for the poor built in 1881 and the original building is still there today, adjoined to the church of St Alban The Martyr, Holborn.

I have done extensive research on this Central London parish and have maps of the area from 1873, 1894, 1914 and 1965. The church of St Alban was built in 1862 in the Holborn slums. Reverand Alexander Heriot Mackonochie (1825-1887) was the first vicar of the church and he was the brains behind the construction of many model dwellings in the paish including Tyndall Buildings, Evelyn Buildings and St Alban's Buildings.

Most residents of these buildings were soap boilers, tailors, clothes makers, labourers and mechanics. Menial occupations for poor families. They were built for the poor of the parish. Most of the old 3 and 4 storey townhouses were either demolished in 1905 to make way for the Bourne Estate or bombed in WW2.

St Albans School was founded in 1885 and there were several schools in the area before that. The Workhouse was Farringdon Road up to 1880 then it was Grays Inn Road Workhouse and Holborn Infirmary and City Road Workhouse. Many of the streets in the parish were named after aincent Lords such as Brooke Street, Greville Street, Beauchamp St and Dorrington Street.

Ben

joycem
09-05-2008, 9:15 AM
Hi Ben
Your ancestor seems to have lived in the same streets as mine - Portpool Lane, Baldwins Gardens. My interest is around these areas and my ancestor was Richard Isham. What was the name of your person?
joycem

benny1982
10-05-2008, 9:55 AM
Hi Joycem

Mine was the Roberts family who lived at 69 Leather Lane in 1878, then moved just round the corner to No 9 Portpool Lane in the 1881 census, and in April or May 1882, they moved to Evelyn Buildings, Dorrington Street, and there was a few alleyways connecting Dorrington Street to Baldwins Gardens.

the family consisted of Thomas and Mary Ann Roberts and their children Kate, Alice, Elizabeth, Frederick, Minnie and Ada. Marriage spouses surnames was Coombs, Anstey, King and Walker.

Ben

joycem
11-05-2008, 1:54 AM
Hi Ben
My ancestor was at 33 Portpool Lane in 1881. His last address was Evelyn Buildings in 1890, the year he died.
It is mind-boggling how many families were crammed into each place. I can remember my father taking me around that area when I was small but unfortunately I was only midly interested then. Last time I visited London I made a point of retracing those footsteps to Baldwins Gardens and other nearby places. It is difficult to imagine the poverty endured then compared to today's relatively affluent society.
Have you looked at the Charles Booth website? There is a very good sketch map of the area and Evelyn Buildings is clearly shown.
joycem

benny1982
11-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Joycem

I have many, many photos and maps of the Baldwins Gardens area of Holborn. I have mentioned the dates of the maps in my original thread. Would you like copies of any?

There was indeed two Evelyn Buildings right next to each other, one fronting Dorrington Street and the bigger one facing Baldwins Gardens. Amazingly the Dorrington Street one is still there after 127 years, having survived two world wars and numerous rebuilding of London streets. The buildings were completed in 1882.

The Baldwins Gardens one was bombed during WW2 and afterwards was a car park before a new block of flats was built there in the 1990s.

That is amazing as my Roberts ancestors sister lived at 33 Portpool Lane when she got married in July 1890.

Ben

benny1982
06-07-2008, 11:29 AM
I have set up a Facebook Group all about the parish of St Alban's Holborn. Just type in A Historical Portrait Of St Alban's Holborn and it should come up. I am no good at posting hyperlinks.

It contains photos, info of Rev Alexander Heriot Mackonochie who was vicar of the parish for 20 years, and a story of my ancestors, who lived a typical Victorian life in a Holborn tenement block Evelyn Buildings.

Ben

bluestockingdaisy
08-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Hello. Do you have any information on the Thanksgiving Buildings, Pontpool Lane? My grandfather died there, my father was born there with his siblings -1896-1923. I have one drawing of it from the Camden Revue
Also, do you know of any school records for St Albans School? I have a book awarded to my father by the Sunday School attached to the church in 1912.
I have written to the church with no answer.
Any help would be much appreciated

Peter Goodey
09-08-2008, 6:53 AM
do you know of any school records for St Albans School?

There's a reasonable survival rate of LCC and ILEA school regsisters. The admission and discharge registers for St Alban's School, Baldwin's Gardens covering 1885-1932 are available at the London Metropolitan Archives.

benny1982
09-08-2008, 1:45 PM
I can tell you that Thanksgiving Buildings were built in around 1850 or 1851. I do have a few photos of Portpool Lane on the site, but is is only of the huge printing factory down there.

Those school registers, I have looked at them myself when researching my Holborn ancestors.

Ben

bluestockingdaisy
09-08-2008, 3:35 PM
Thank you Ben and Peter. There must be a photo somewhere. I'll try the LMA for the school

bluetntmo
24-11-2008, 2:28 PM
Hi
My ancestors lived in this parish also from late 1890 to the war. They Lived in Evelyn and Baldwins Gardens. The family surname is Clay. Does anyone have any info??
regards
mo

benny1982
24-11-2008, 8:03 PM
Hi

Do you know what number Evelyn Buildings it was? If you said it was Baldwins Gardens then it was probably that block as there were two adjacent blocks of Evelyn Buildings. Mine lived in the southern block in Dorrington Street.

The Dorrington Street one had 31 tenements and the Baldwins Gardens one had 47 tenements.

Ben

bluetntmo
25-11-2008, 9:59 AM
Sorry Ben my grandparents lived at 26 Evelyn Buildings (1901 census) and my parents lived at Baldwins Gardens along with my 2 oldest brothers until they were evacuated when the building was bombed in 1940/41 they can't remember the exact date or the number they lived in
regards
Mo

benny1982
25-11-2008, 8:09 PM
Hi

I did research that Evelyn Buildings was bombed in WW2. I have seen photos of Baldwins Gardens destroyed by Hitlers bombs. It was in 1941 I think. That was definately the Baldwin's Gardens block then.

The blocks were completed in 1882 and the southern block still stands today, surviving two world wars and major London reconstruction and slum clearences but it is now a hostel.

Ben

macersgirl
29-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi I dont know if i have done this right as still very new to this site but i have been in touch with benny1982 who was really helpfull on some infomation i needed on St Alban's Building in Holborn.

My Granmother and siblings were born here and i was trying to find out as much as i could of the Buildings and area ect. I have now been given one of my grandmothers sister's birth certificate and this gives more infomation then my grandmother's. This states the address as: 113 Bell Court St Albans Buildings. The dates i am looking for are from 1922 to 1932 for the births of all the siblings. I know St Albans Building was beside St Albans the Martyr church as i was sent a photo from another sister in Canada of the familiy standing on the roof top of what must have been the BUilding with the side of the Church showing (the church was confirmed by a cousin who enjoys pub crawls around Holborn! lol.

I have searched the internet for photos of this building without no luck. Now i am wondering was Bell Court seperate to St Alban's Building or one and the same?? I know there where many 'Buildings' in this area and that it was near Grays inn ect so i know i am looking at the right area on my A-Z Atlas and Guide to London and Suburbs that was done in 1938/9 and Baldwin Gardens is shown on the old map along side Donnington street.

I must say that if anyone has ancestors ect in this area pre 1938/9 then this book would be great foranyone trying to locate old streets and rows as this also gives the new name for some of the old roads that are not here anymore . It's well worth the 9.95.

If anyone could help me with the Bell court/St Alban |Building questions then i would be really grateful.:)

benny1982
07-05-2009, 1:27 PM
Hi

I have actually set up a Facebook group on the parish of St Alban Holborn. A Historical Portrait. It is packed with several maps of the area from 1873, 1894, 1914 and 1965, plus many photos.

Ben

macersgirl
08-05-2009, 2:37 PM
Hi Ben

I have looked on your facebook for St Alban Holborn and saw some photos. would i be correct in thinking that the picture of a bombed out side of building was St Albans building? The last time i corresponded with you i did not have the bell court address . Do you thinkk this was a seperate dwelling that came under St Albans building?

I have got a brilliant A-Z Atlas and guide to London and suburbs which was first printed in 1938/9 and its great to see the old streets ect. It does not have St Albans Building on it but has Baldwin gardens and Donnington street ect. It was only 9.95 and well worth the money. it was advertised through one of the familiy history mags and ideal for people like us with ancesters in this area. . My familiy left this area around 1930. It's a good job they did as if they had been bombed my familiy wouldnt have been here! I have also found out that this familiy lived for a few years at red Lion street, this would have been around 1918-22 as both boys who where born there died of the Flu there.

Thanks again for all your help, i think i amgetting the ahng of this site lol. I have been very lucky that lots of people have helped me.
michelle :)

benny1982
09-05-2009, 8:28 PM
Hi Macersgirl

The photo of the bombed out street is Dorrington Street looking east towards Leather Lane.

I think St Alban's Buildings was inbetween the St Albans Church and Grays Inn Road. I do have a pic of Baldwins Gardens bombed out but it is slightly blurred, however I think St Alban's Buildings is on the photo.

Ben

macersgirl
13-05-2009, 4:20 PM
|wave|Hi Ben
Thanks for the info I will look on the facebook group pictures again.
michelle

mouseuk
20-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi,
I have just registered after looking at the posts on Holborn.
I have just found out that my 3x Great grandfather Henry Young died at 17 Thanksgiving Buildings in Holborn in 1923. Prior to this he lived in Baldwin Place and Verulum Place with his wife Ellen Brown. His son Robert Edward Young married Mary Ann Smith and lived at Fox Court and his son Robert George married Rebecca Collins and after living at Fox Court later lived at Peabody Buildings in Clerkenwell.
Anyone out there tracing the Young family? I think that they may have been Catholic and would love to find baptisms.
Many Thanks

Debbie Waters

benny1982
20-08-2009, 5:56 PM
Hi Debbie

How old was Henry Young when he died?

Ben

mouseuk
21-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Henry was 81 when he died. A good age considering the conditions they lived in. I have been reading up a bit about the area on a site called Explore Victorian London and a piece by George Godwin from his book London Shadows of 1854. It sounds as though Thanksgiving buildings was built after slum clearance and was of ' a better standard' but no doubt still basic.
I have been on your facebook site today and was most interested in the photos. I noticed a name Young on one of the documents. Any further details?
regards

Debbie

bluestockingdaisy
21-08-2009, 9:07 AM
Hello Debbie. My grandfather, Michael Sculley died at 6 Thanksgiving Buildings in 1922. His aunt on his mother's side- my great aunt, was Rachel Souster who married a Charles Young,born 1879. His father was Charles Young b1849, who married a Mary A Hine in 1872.
Rachel and Charles married in 1913 in St Andrew and St Philip Church, Holborn
They all seem to be in the right area, any connections?
Barbara

mouseuk
21-08-2009, 5:18 PM
Hi Barbara,
Thanks for your reply.
I do not have any Charles Youngs on the tree but maybe they could be related, poss cousins or something. I am unsure of Henry 1843 parentage as his marraige cert has father unknown although it has his occupation as Hairdresser! I cannot tie down his birth for sure and therefore are not sure of siblings. He had Robert Edward 1864, Albert 1868, William 1871, Maria 1880 and Louise 1882 that i know of.
Was there anyone of Catholic faith in the family? Your grandfathers name sounds Irish and there were a lot of Irish in the area. I have been unable to establish if the Youngs were of Irish descent but i suspect the women they married were.
Best wishes

Debbie

bluestockingdaisy
22-08-2009, 9:00 AM
Hello Rebecca, my grandfather had Irish parents but was born in Yorkshire. He must have known your gggrandfather, he was at number 17 and Michael was at number 6 Thanksgiving Buildings.
I have managed to get just one picture of the buildings
Not sure of the Young connection, they married in a C of E church.
Small world
Barbara

benny1982
23-08-2009, 8:27 PM
Hi

I have done a lot of research on Holborn and those buildings have cropped up so many times. Verulam Buildings, Baldwins Gardens, Thanksgiving Buildings, Duncan Buildings as well as my fave one Evelyn Buildings where my ancestors lived during the 1880s.

I think Thanksgiving Buildings was built in 1851. St Alban Church was consecrated in 1863 and Father Alexander Mackonochie was the brains behind many construction of model dwellings in the area. He wanted a better standard of living for the poor of this central London parish.

Ben

mouseuk
23-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Barbara,

Yes it is quite possible that they knew one another. All my Youngs married in C OF E churches although some of them went over the river to Christ Church in Southwark. Not sure why but wondered if if was one of the churches that married people for free. However family story had it that they went to St Etheldredas in Ely place to worship and my great grandfather Robert was an alter boy there. No records seems to exist according to the archivist. I was wondering whether they were baptised here and the records are at the Westminster Achives in Kensington. However they only open 2 afternoons a week and are booked until middle Sep, when i am back at work!
I see you live in Herts like me. I am in Broxbourne.

Ben
Yes i have been reading up about the area and have also looked at the Charles Booths povety maps. I noticed at the National archives they hold a watercolour picture of Thanksgiving buildings as part of their Peasbody holdings. It would be nice to see that. I walked the area a few months ago with my husband and had a look at St Alban Church and The Bourne Estate that is there now. I note on your site that you mention a printing works and Henry Young at the time of his marriage in 1861 and again on 1871 census is a Lithographic printer. What was the name of the printing co and do you know if it was in operation during this time period. He later is listed as a general labourer and then a house painter so clearly changed his profession.

Best wishes

Debbie

bluestockingdaisy
24-08-2009, 9:39 AM
Hello Debbie. A very small world, I am in Hoddesdon. Have you any links with Southam St where my Charles Young ended up with Rachel? I think Charles was born in Ealing abt 1879. I may well be wrong though everything fitted.

My father went to Sunday school at St Albans. I have a book presented to him in 1912, he was born 1903 in Duncan Buildings
Best wishes, Barbara

mouseuk
25-08-2009, 9:53 AM
Yes it is a small world Barbara!
I have not come across Southam Street at all. They were either at Verulum Place, Verulum Street, Baldwin Gardens or Fox Court and later Thanksgiving Buildings. One thing that always seemed odd to me was that Henry Young and his son Robert Edward seemed to live in such poor conditions yet my father remembers that his grandfather who was a Robert George and son of Robert Edward seemed to live quite well. He bought his own house in Edmonton and took his family away to a cottage in Cornwall during the war. I understand the family later went into confectionery and had stalls in the Farringdon Road. This may have been something to do with Robert Edward wifes family. She was Mary Ann Smith and her parents were George and Margaret Smith. They lived in Bell Court and then Fox court although George is listed as a carman. margaret was of Irish descent coming from Cork.
Any confectioners in your Youngs?
Debbie

benny1982
25-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi

I love St Alban Holborn. The parish and the church. My great, great grandfather lived in St Pancras and was a litho printer. His wife whom he wed in 1886 lived in Holborn. I think he worked there and met her in Holborn in about 1884 or 1885.

Her family moved into Evelyn Buildings in 1882 and her mum died at 25 Evelyn Buildings in 1886.

Ben

louisa maud
25-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I have enjoyed reading about this area, my grandmother was born in Saffron Hill which is not far from where these addresses were, almost round the corner, I am not sure if a couple of mine were baptised in St Albans, I did try to research St Albans but gave up on the idea as at the time it was a huge chunk of money to search the ledgers, they had not been deposited then, 1994, one day I might just get to look at them

Louisa Maud

benny1982
25-08-2009, 8:53 PM
Hi

When my 3xgreat gran died in 1886, St Alban Church held a prayers for her. I found that out as they have deposited many of their records at the LMA.

Ben

louisa maud
26-08-2009, 6:07 PM
Thanks Benny, I feel a trip coming up to London

LM

mouseuk
27-08-2009, 9:19 AM
Yes the LMA is a good repository to use. They did improve it a year or so ago. It is just a shame that the family records centre closed as we used to find it useful to visit both on the same day as they were only a few minutes walk away from each other. Kew is so much further for us and we still have not managed to get there.
Ben did you know the name of the printing company that you have pictures of?

benny1982
27-08-2009, 4:47 PM
Hi mouseuk

There is a photo of the factory on my Facebook group. I think it has the name displayed. I think it was Harrison or something along Portpool Lane.

Ben

mouseuk
06-09-2009, 6:31 PM
Ben, I could not see a name. Am i missing something?? Any ideas? Thanks
Debbie

mouseuk
14-06-2010, 9:39 PM
Does anyone know anything about a Flower shop called Claras on the corner of Grays Inn Road that was last known in the 1960's. The owner Clara may have had the maiden name Young as she was a cousin of my ancestor Robert Young. She had a daughter called Ellen. Any ideas?

benny1982
19-07-2010, 2:31 PM
Hi

Was it the corner of Grays Inn Road and Roseberry Avenue?

Ben

mouseuk
20-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Not really sure Ben. My dads cousin remembers going there when she first started work and bought her mother flowers. It was revealed later that she was a relative. All i know is the shop was called Claras. This was likely in the 60's. Any relatives of Clara or Ellen out there?

mouseuk
12-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Does anyone have any information on Cranmer House, Fox Court, Holborn? Relatives died there in 1912 & 1953 and cannot find any info on the internet. Many thanks
Debbie

benny1982
03-09-2010, 7:56 PM
Hi

Evelyn Buildings where my ancestors lived from 1882 to 1889 was surveyed by health boards and in 1885 about 50 of its inhabitants contracted preventable illnesses.

Ben

bluestockingdaisy
05-01-2011, 9:38 PM
Hi mouseuk

There is a photo of the factory on my Facebook group. I think it has the name displayed. I think it was Harrison or something along Portpool Lane.

Ben
Hello Ben, I can't find this picture on your facebook and it's quite important to me. Could you direct me if possible?
Thank you, Barbara

mouseuk
07-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Ben
I could not find it either. I think i saw the photo some tiime ago but could not find the name on it.

Debbie

bluestockingdaisy
08-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Hello Debbie, I found it, you need to zoom in, I can send you the picture if you give me your email. I am angel@tesco.net.
Best wishes

benny1982
27-01-2011, 9:48 AM
Hi

There is also a photo taken in 1906 of the side of the factory I think and the huge 4 to 5 storey tenement buildings along Portpool Lane.

I was watching a Jack The Ripper documentary recently where they did computer wizardry reconstructions of Whitechapel and it so reminded me of the St Alban Holborn area. Evelyn Buildings where my rellies lived was a tenement address. As said the building still stands today.

Ben

mouseuk
30-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks Ben. We have the photo now.
Yes i saw the Jack the Ripper programme - well one of them- and it was done very well.
regards

Debbie

benny1982
30-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi Barbara

You say the photo of the printers was quite important you you. In what way may I ask?

I really love this area of London as my ancestors lived a very interesting part of their lives here from 1878 to 1889. And one of them died in Evelyn Buildings in November 1886.

Ben

bluestockingdaisy
31-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Hello Ben, My aunt Ellen Jane Sculley b1896 had an "illegitimate" son Francis HarrisonSculley in 1918 in 6 Thanksgiving Builings, Portpool Lane. Francis was her uncle's name. She was a typist. It seemed feasable that the father may be a Harrison but I can find nothing on the internet about this printing works. It looks like 'Harrison and Jenkins' in your photo.
Apparently unmarried mothers often gave the father's name as a second name
I will probably never know. My cousin changed his name later.
Barbara

peppie
15-06-2011, 1:01 AM
Hi

Evelyn Buildings where my ancestors lived from 1882 to 1889 was surveyed by health boards and in 1885 about 50 of its inhabitants contracted preventable illnesses.

Ben

If anyone can get to Camden Archives before the council slashes its budgets.... The health report is very interesting even talking about people keeping cattle in their cellars!

I lived in Portpool Lane in the Early 1990's

benny1982
22-06-2011, 3:09 PM
Yes in Brookes Court there was a cow yard. I had a recent trip to London and took some more pics of Evelyn Buildings. Even though it has not been called that since 1892 it will always be Evelyn Buildings in my eyes. :drool5:

I went to the back and noticed a old looking stairwell at the back. Although there is a security camera at the back and someone might have wondered why I was taking pics as it is a hostel. I took a few pics of the side and 2 of the front. Next time I might take a sneak pic of the stairway then run off. Photos taken because my ancestors lived there from 1882 when it was opened to 1889.

mouseuk
26-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know where Viaduct buildings were in Holborn or any picture links to it. I presume near Holborn Viaduct itself but cannot find any info on internet. Thanks
Debbie