PDA

View Full Version : Dr Barnardos

lindy-lou
19-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi all

Can anybody point me in which direction to go:confused: i am trying to find out about a relative who lost his parents and was sent to The Blue Coat School around 1890, where i don't know, he lived around Kensington at the time. i have been told he then went to Canada in 1895 through Dr Barnardos agency, do Dr Barnardos have records that can be searched???? Any help greatly appreciated.

cheers

lindy-lou

JTurner
19-09-2007, 1:06 PM
Hi,
I have been in contact with Barnardos after care center. They were very helpful in sending me the information about my father-in-laws family. You can contact them and ask for information, but you must be a blood relative and they will only send the information to one person. Barnardos has a website and there is an e-mail address for the aftercare department, my experience with them was very heartwarming, they were so compassionate and caring. Here is a link to their site. Good luck with your search.

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/index.htm
click on resources, i think thats were the e-mail address is

lindy-lou
19-09-2007, 1:17 PM
thanx for that i will get in touch with them, just trying to find a little more info on my g grandfathers life. up until a few months ago i knew nothing about him, so glad i decided to look into my tree.

lindy-lou

Ladkyis
19-09-2007, 2:26 PM
This is quite a useful website that deals with the British Home Children that were sent overseas by lots of societies including Barnardo's

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~britishhomechildren/

I did a project on Barnardo's as part of my DipSW (Diploma in Social Work) course and I got to work with them on a placement

birdlip
19-09-2007, 3:08 PM
Hi there,

a cousin of my great grandfathers was sent to Canada from Southampton as a Home Child in the 1880's, though not through Dr Barnados. The Canadian Government archives website has a searchable passenger list index for Home Children;

www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020110_e.html

You should find this site useful too, there are lots of interesting links..heart wrenching!

www.dcs.uwaterloo.ca/%7Emarj/genealogy/homeadd.html

regards, birdlip

lindy-lou
19-09-2007, 3:56 PM
thank you all so much for the quick responses and info. it will certainly keep me busy for a while, kids will have to go chip shop for tea tonight!!!!!!!!!

lindy-lou|hug|

SueL
19-09-2007, 9:55 PM
Good Luck, lindy-lou...

My 2nd cousin found an ancestor in a Barnardoes Home in the 1891 census, wrote to them and got the most fantastic package containing not just photos/details of the young lad, but also photos/details of his two brothers.

There was also info on how the eldest one emigrated to Canada, how one of the other boys went on a visit there....annnnnd....they also had details of a current relative who had written in the last couple of years from Canada asking for the same info!!!

Barnardoes naturally had to contact the person in Canada to see if they would mind their details being given out but eventually (!) my cousin's dream came true and she is now in touch with a whole new (and living!) branch of relatives in Canada AND the U.S!!

So, do follow it through as you never know what you'll get :)

Good Luck,
SueL

lindy-lou
19-09-2007, 10:04 PM
hi sueL
that is a wonderful story, hope it does happen for me some day. i am trying to put a jigsaw together little by little, not very good at jigsaws,hehehe! its hard work as i've no rellies on this side of my family to ask (parents divorced and now deceased). i'm now sidetracked again, groan, trying to find info on 1881 census and not getting anywhere. thanks again for your words of encouragement.

lindy-lou|hug|

Mutley
19-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I was contacted by a Canadian family who had read posts that I placed on this forum that included my surname. They are my father's cousins. I had no idea that one of the children I had been looking for in the UK was a 4 year old child that had been sent off to Canada.

It is great to have help tracking the same family. You just never know who will turn up out of the blue. Keep posting!!!