PDA

View Full Version : GOODWINs of Swindon

Ron61
20-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Can anybody please tell me if the John Wilfred GOODWIN who was killed in the First World War and buried in the Radnor Street cemetery, Swindon, was the son of James and Elizabeth. In my line I have a John Wilfred GOODWIN, born in Farnworth, Lancashire, in 1882. He would be the right age. The connection with Wiltshire is that the family moved around a lot, James being a grocer, and John had two brothers born in Swindon, Josiah in 1892 and Samuel in 1899. I would be pleased to hear from any Goodwin who is descended from this family.
Thank you.
Ron Goodwin, Chorley, Lancashire.

SwindonLibrary
03-03-2009, 2:19 PM
Hello Ron,

Interestingly I can see no mention of John Wilfred GOODWIN in "Swindon's War Record" - an important local book by W.D. Bavin. It lists casualties and those who returned etc.

However, he is listed in Mark Sutton's "Tell them of Us: Swindon Sons of the Great War".

The entry reads as follows:

Goodwin, J.W.
John Wilfred

Lance Seargent 470 Welsh Horse Yeomanry
Died 5th January 1918.
35 Years old.
1931 Radnor Street Cemetary.

Sadly, unlike many other entries, no family is listed (and no other Goodwins).

All records for Radnor Street cemetary (along with all burial records for Whitworth Road, the other municipal cemetary) are kept at the office of Kingsdown Crematorium. You can visit by appointment in the afternoons.

Details: http://www.swindon.gov.uk/kingsdowncrematorium-2

BTW: from the CWGC site (which I'm sure you already had but just in case...)

Name: GOODWIN, JOHN WILFRED
Initials: J W
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Welsh Horse Yeomanry
Date of Death: 05/01/1918
Service No: 470
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 1931.
Cemetery: SWINDON (RADNOR STREET) CEMETERY