PDA

View Full Version : St. Martin at Palace/Swanton Abbott

Keltria
06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Perhaps I am going mad or this Ancestry thing is getting to me - In the 1841 census of Norfolk there are Places like Martin at Palace and other places that make no sense to me. What I want to know is Villages or Towns etc fell under which district. So if I am looking for people born in Swant Abbot in pre 1841 on the census where do i find out under which place Swanton Abbot fell under.

I have searched and searched - but I cant find anything that tells me.

Anyone that can help me Please.

K

Linda
06-05-2006, 12:53 PM
I would normally suggest that you could try searching The National Archives catalogue

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/default.asp

Click on 'Search The Catalogue'

Enter the place in the first field, '1841' to '1841' in the middle fields, then 'HO' in the last field

Unfortunately Swanton Abbot isn't found, and I tried 'Swanton Abbott' as well, however I believe it is in Aylsham district. I found that info here:

http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/places/

Please note that the list is not a complete list of places, but a list of Parishes found in GRO published lists.

Hope that helps.

Linda

Pam Downes
06-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi K,

If it had said St Martin at Palace it might have made a little more sense. Have a look at
http://www.norfolkfhs.org.uk/parishes/norwich/norwmap.htm
though some of the names are a little squashed.
Places of birth are not given on the 1841 census. The best information that you'll get is whether someone was born 'in county'.
Anyone living in Swanton Abbott on census night will have Swanton Abbott as the civil parish on the index. Or you can just enter Swanton Abbott as the civil parish of residence and get a list of all 501 inhabitants.
On all census the birthplace should be just that - someone's birthplace. The district aspect only comes into things when you want to know the registration district in order to send for BMD certificates.
Pam

Linda
06-05-2006, 1:06 PM
Well after reading Pam's response I wonder if I misunderstood the question? :confused:

"What I want to know is Villages or Towns etc fell under which district......
..... where do i find out under which place Swanton Abbot fell under"

Oh well, perhaps my answer will help in other ways :)

Linda

Pam Downes
06-05-2006, 1:10 PM
Linda has given you the link for finding the registration district for a particular place.
Follow the links to find the places within a county and registration district for all of England and Wales from here
http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/
(e.g. for Aylsham, click Norfolk, then Aylsham where you get a list of all the parishes in the Aylsham reg district)
Pam

Pam Downes
06-05-2006, 1:17 PM
We're getting good at this cross-posting lark Linda. :)
We're both right.
You gave Keltria the link to find the registration district for Swanton Morley - which is what she specifically wanted to know. I was able to expand slightly, especially with regard to places such as Martin at Palace.
Pam

Linda
06-05-2006, 2:41 PM
Hi Pam

It's particulary funny to me because I don't post too often |biggrin|
(not enough time - boohoo!)

At least Keltria has a lot to follow up on now :)

Linda

Geoffers
06-05-2006, 3:33 PM
For Norfolk there's any easy to do this.

Click on the NTA web-site
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php
select 'Parishes' then the letter 'S' and scroll down to Swanton Abbot.
The name of the district is next to it.

If you want to know all the parishes in a District, from the home page, select 'Documents'. You'll see two lists. On the left is that for Districts. Select any district and you'll get all teh parisehs therein. On the right is 'Hundreds' - an early sort of District from pre-1837. All the parishes in a Hundred are similarly listed.

Geoffers

Keltria
06-05-2006, 4:00 PM
Thank you for your help both were very helpful :)

Pam Downes
07-05-2006, 2:31 AM
If it had said St Martin at Palace it might have made a little more sense. I just read the message which said 'Martin at Palace' so I meant that 'St Martin' on the census might have made a little more sense to you. I've since seen that the thread heading says 'St Martin', not just Martin, so you obviously knew it referred to St Martin.
My apologies, Keltria, if you read my words differently.
Pam

Keltria
07-05-2006, 9:38 AM
This is the situation and I dont know if I can mention that I used the Ancestry.Uk pay site to get the census information. In the census there is no mention of Swanton Abbot anywhere. All ages were rounded off to the nearest 5 years too. I thought it might be a good way to see who my ggggrandfather was, however it backfired on me :( Simply because of the fact that they mention places like St. Martins at Palace. The census however reads Matins at Palace, so I take it for granted that it is St. Martins. I know that they were broken up into districts, or Hundreds, however it is very confusing. What I am trying to find out did Swanton Abbot fall under St Martins or under another name.

Thanks

K

Pam Downes
07-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Hi Keltria,
I couldn't quite see how St Martin at Palace came into the equation but have just twigged. You looked specifically for John Hook.
You have to remember that back in 1841 people weren't over-bothered about correct spellings, so you get extra letters put in and out, names written as they sounded, names written as the enumerator thought they were spelt, etc so you have to use a lot of imagination at times. (e.g. Dakin for Deacon.)
If you want to find out who was living in Swanton Abbott in 1841 simply type Swanton Abbott in the civil parish box, and you get an alpha list of all 501 inhabitants. You will probably find who you're looking for. :)
Pam

Keltria
07-05-2006, 2:02 PM
I tried that a few times - it would not work, but suddenly today it does. I think the John Hooks there is my guy - I think it is a spelling mistake. The reason why St Martins came up is when I checked the Census for Hook in the 1841 census it came up with a whole lot of them at St Martins at Palace. I was confused and wondered if St Martins covered Swanton Abbott. I thought maybe I could find out who Johns Father wasor if he had brothers and sisters.

I came in contact with a woman in England in Swanton Abbott, who is related to one of Johns sons. She never even knew that her g/father had so many brothers or who the original John was related to. She said she wished she had asked more questions.

Geoffers
07-05-2006, 10:33 PM
This is the situation and I dont know if I can mention that I used the Ancestry.Uk pay site to get the census information. In the census there is no mention of Swanton Abbot anywhere.
If you get stuck finding people, do ask. I've indexed about 100 parishes in NE Norfolk from the 1841 census - Just a surname index with the page reference so that looking up is fairly easy. There are also several parishes transcribed on the NTA web-site which may prove useful.

Geoffers