PDA

View Full Version : Berridges

Stephanie
23-10-2004, 3:29 PM
Hello, as Im new to this can anyone help. We have birth cert. dated 1846 for G.Grandfather John Henry Berridge. Name of mother is given as Mary Berridge formerly name we cant read or find. Father William Berridge. We cannot find a William and Mary getting married that tie in with them. Last find is on 1881 census, there's a William & Mary Berridge living in Bramley Surrey. Gives birthplace for Mary as Louth Lincolnshire. Any help would be much appreciated.

Lindad
23-10-2004, 9:28 PM
Hi Stephanie

Could either of these be them:

BURRIDGE, William Marriage
Wife: Mary CHAMBERLAIN
Marriage Date: 29 Sep 1834 Recorded in: Melbourn, Cambridgeshire, England
Source: FHL Film 990296 Dates: 1796 - 1851

BURRIDGE, William Marriage
Wife: Mary GADBERY
Marriage Date: 17 May 1840 Recorded in: Saint Albans, Hertfordshire, England
Collection: St Michael
Husband's Father: William BURRIDGE
Wife's Father: James GADBERY
Source: FHL Film 1040818 Dates: 1837 - 1895

You didn't say where the birth certificate said he was born... was it Lincolnshire - or did you just get that from the possible census entry?

Stephanie
24-10-2004, 4:30 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, neither of those are our William & Mary.

We have no definite proof William comes from Lincolnshire. But, we did find a William being born in Greatford, Lincs. that ties in roughly with how old he would have been. Also, the William & Mary on the 1881 census he comes from Greatford. We need confirmation that this is our William. John Henry's birth cert. Marys maiden name looks like Hexford, Hendford, or even Sleaford, Slenford, Slexford.

womble42
30-12-2004, 9:31 AM
Hi -

Out of interest where was your John Henry Berridge born? I am also researching a line of John Berridges in Rutland? Any possible links?

Regards,

Ian B.

Pam Downes
30-12-2004, 1:04 PM
Hi Stephanie,

Let's re-examine the evidence :)
Firstly, the birth certificate. Where did the birth certificate come from? Is it a family possession handed down, or is it one that you've sent for from the GRO/local registrar's office 'because it seems to fit'?
If it's a family possession, then what address is given for 'place of birth' and because there is often more than one town/village of the same name (even in the same county), what is the name of the issuing district and sub district?
If it's one that you ordered 'because it seems to fit' then you're trying to be clever and skip a generation or two and you will very likely come unstuck this way, as well as making life incredibly difficult for yourself!
More 'what-I-would-do-next' when I know about the 'current evidence'.

Pam Downes

Stephanie
06-01-2005, 8:07 AM
Hi Womble 42

I have now got a copy of the William and Mary Marriage Cert. that I was trying so hard to obtain. So we move on again.

My John Henry was born in Stamford 1846. His father William was born in Greatford, Lincs one of many brothers and sisters. John Henry although from Lincolnshire did die in Rutland, while living with a Harriet Grant of Empingham, Rutland

panda
24-01-2005, 1:40 AM
Hi,

In the 1871 census ther is:

John Henry 25, Publican born Stamford, Lincolnshire
Mary 25, born Langtoft, Lincolnshire

John was running the Cross Swords pub on Bottom Street in Skillington Lincolnshire

Doreen

Stephanie
25-01-2005, 8:11 AM
Many thanks for the information Doreen.