PDA

View Full Version : An Amazing Find

stevenpenny
18-01-2010, 9:06 AM
For months I have been struggling with one branch of my family and could find no reference to them in the 1841 Census. I had more or less given up when a chance remark by an aged relative prompted one more look.

And there he was, my G-G-Grandfather as a boy aged 6, living with his Mother and Father; his three Brothers; and his Grandmother and Grandfather on his Father's side; AND his Grandmother on his Mothers Side.

Three generations in one house on one Census form.

That one find has opened up a whole new world and as the family all lived in one small parish in Somerset i'm potentially now back to 1701. I say potentially as around 1740 the family name seems to have undergone a change in spelling.

The parents of Richard Penny 1743 - 1795 seem to have been called James and Sarah Pinney. It's either that or a Richard Penny and a Richard Pinney were both christened on the same day.

So a success story; and also a brick wall.

Deep Joy

Steve

Waitabit
18-01-2010, 9:38 AM
Well done Steve, I guess you won't have to resort to Crossword puzzle books for a while. :)
Carry on digging.

susan-y
18-01-2010, 5:37 PM
Good work Steve...
Guess you got more than one "Penny" for your thoughts |jumphappy

I know.......... Groan................................

Sue

Maybe the Pinny/Penny was just a transcription error?

stevenpenny
18-01-2010, 6:40 PM
Good work Steve...
Guess you got more than one "Penny" for your thoughts |jumphappy

I know.......... Groan................................

Sue

Maybe the Pinny/Penny was just a transcription error?

I hoped that would be the case but looking at Pinney, Penny, and Penney; i've now found families that match all three, in the same parish at the same time.

Seems a little odd, but then again we are an odd family....

I feel a 'Brick-Wall' is on its way.......

Thanks

bibliojunkie
18-01-2010, 8:58 PM
Great stuff Steve. If only my odd Penny family from Lancashire/Cumberland would accommodate three generations in 1841. :D

Ali