PDA

View Full Version : Charlbury

Geoffers
12-10-2004, 6:21 PM
Hello
If anyone who is tracing family history in Charlbury or the surrounding villages, finds it difficult to get here and would appreciate photos of the area/specific places, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do (also happy to wander around the churchyard and cemetery). I have a digital camera so can forward on photos as e-mail attachments. The offer is free, but I cannot travel any great distance.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

jilly
30-10-2004, 5:33 PM
Hi Geoffers what a kind offer, I'm interested in the Fifield family of Charlbury,particularly George born 1870 thanks Jill

Geoffers
30-10-2004, 6:14 PM
[Hi Geoffers what a kind offer, I'm interested in the Fifield family of Charlbury,particularly George born 1870 thanks Jill]

I take it you're after MIs in Charlbury? I've been away for a few days so am catching up on stuff this weekend. I'll have a browse around the churchyard and cemetery extension on Monday/Tuesday and let you know. Do you know where he lived in Charlbury?

Geoffers

jilly
31-10-2004, 3:09 PM
Hi Geoffers, I'm sorry I don't know where he lived, he married Geraldine Alice Poyner in 1889, but thats all the information I have, thanks Jill

Ron Lankshear
03-11-2004, 8:51 AM
Hi Geoffers, That is a lovely offer
My family are all around the Witney area and there are some of the name or similar variation in Charlbury PR records.
I know one of them for sure entered John LANKSSHEAR (double S) who married Elizabeth WOODWARD in 1808.

So if you are around any of the churchyards it would be fantastic for any detail of any item with names from LANCASHIRE to LANKESHEER

Thank you very much

Geoffers
03-11-2004, 9:00 AM
[My family are all around the Witney area and there are some of the name or similar variation in Charlbury PR records. I know one of them for sure entered John LANKSSHEAR (double S) who married Elizabeth WOODWARD in 1808. So if you are around any of the churchyards it would be fantastic for any detail of any item with names from LANCASHIRE to LANKESHEER ]

No problem, I was going to look around the church and cemetery for Jill yesterday, but 'twas a miserable day and I didn't fancy having rain down my collar for a couple of hours. 'tis brighter today so I'll stroll down with the dogs this morning and have a look for both of you. I'll let you know one way or the otehr, later today.

Geoffers

Geoffers
03-11-2004, 1:54 PM
For the attention of Jill and Ron:

I've just been prowling around the churchyards and cemetery in Charlbury. As in most such places, there are headstones which are illegible - I've been around all those which can be read. There is one last church which I have not checked today, that is in the small outlier of Shorthampton. I'll have a look there either during the week or at the weekend.

No trace of LANKSSHEAR or WOODWARD in Charlbury

Two FIFIELD graves:

1) "In loving memroy of Sarah Annie FIFIELD died June 21st 1946 aged 79 also of Charles Howard FIFIELD died April 25th 1947 aged 78. Rest in Peace"

2) In loving memory of Eliza FIFIELD died Aug 2nd 1898 aged 61 years. Not gone from memory of from love, But gone to her father home above. Also of Mark FIFIELD husband of the above died Mar 3 1922 aged 84 years."

I have digital photos of both graves and also the church if you'd like copies - let me know.

I'll get back to you both with anything I find at Shorthampton.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Ron Lankshear
04-11-2004, 3:35 AM
Thank you Geoffers

Please if you do see LANKSHEAR or similar names anywhere from Charlbury down to Witney and surrounds I would be most interested
Robert was in Clanfield in 1713 and then Thomas moved to Witney - Caswell Farm and his kids were in many places around Witney

I will be away for week - enjoying seafood. Take care

jilly
05-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Thank you so much Geoffers, these look as if they could be George Fifields family, its a great help. I hope the dogs enjoyed the walk, my border collie likes walking in our churchyard but I think its because of all the rabbits there! thanks again Jill

nickfifield
16-11-2004, 9:34 PM
Hi,

Just sent you an email. I'm Nicholas Fiifeld, originally from Plymouth and Kent before then... :o)

Started tracing my family tree. Now back to early 1800. Please let me know if you receive email and attached documents ok?

rgs

Geoffers
16-11-2004, 9:57 PM
Just sent you an email. I'm Nicholas Fiifeld, originally from Plymouth and Kent before then... :o)
Started tracing my family tree. Now back to early 1800. Please let me know if you receive email and attached documents ok?
rgs
Sorry, but nowt has come through yet. Is it a query you can type up and post here?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

nickfifield
16-11-2004, 10:06 PM
docs attached, others too large to post (apparently)
i'll email the others as this way is problematic - great site tho! :o)

tegfryn
27-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi Geoff.

My name is Tegfryn Richards and I have a family tree going back to 1643. Al my ancestors lived at Charlbury and probably were farm workers.

My maternal grandfather left Charlbury and came to Wales to look for work out of farming in the early1900s.

I am particularly interested in Thomas Biles who died in 1792 and is listed as having died "Sans-Cullotides" and buried in Charlbury. I have not visited Charlbury yet and have often wondered what sort of place it is.

I believe I still have some relatives there named Parsons who have a motor business or garage. Do you know them. Any info. will be appreciated.

Cheers Tegfryn

Geoffers
27-01-2006, 8:43 AM
To save me typing it out again, see my reply to your other thread:

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11024

I'm happy to forward a few photos as e-mail attachments if they would be of any interest to you.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Sunpat
21-08-2007, 3:06 AM
Hello
If anyone who is tracing family history in Charlbury or the surrounding villages, finds it difficult to get here and would appreciate photos of the area/specific places, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do (also happy to wander around the churchyard and cemetery). I have a digital camera so can forward on photos as e-mail attachments. The offer is free, but I cannot travel any great distance.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Hello Geoffers

If you are still able to take photos of the Charlbury area I would greatly appreciate a photo of the grave of my great aunt, Evelyn Clara Pickett, and the two boys who drowned with her during the Beating of the Bounds in May 1924.
I have been able to find some information eg. that the grave was paid for by public subscription but have not found any photos of their grave.

Susan

Geoffers
21-08-2007, 9:59 AM
If you are still able to take photos of the Charlbury area I would greatly appreciate a photo of the grave of my great aunt, Evelyn Clara Pickett, and the two boys who drowned with her during the Beating of the Bounds in May 1924.
No problem - I indexed the graves in the cemetery a while ago, so can go straight to the grave which refers to Evelyn, James Bishop and Cyril Smith.
In the same cemtery are graves for Lily Pickett buried 1929 aged 16; and Ernest (1962 aged 81) and Elizabeth (1949 aged 73) - would you like photos of them too?

Geoffers

Sunpat
21-08-2007, 12:59 PM
No problem - I indexed the graves in the cemetery a while ago, so can go straight to the grave which refers to Evelyn, James Bishop and Cyril Smith.
In the same cemtery are graves for Lily Pickett buried 1929 aged 16; and Ernest (1962 aged 81) and Elizabeth (1949 aged 73) - would you like photos of them too?

Geoffers

Thank you Geoffers.
Photos of the Pickett graves would be fantastic.

From your indexing, you may know of my EELES family members graves esp. that of Frank, my grandfather, and his wife who both died in the 1960s. I don't have their dates of birth/death, or my grandmother's maiden name. If you can discover any of that information it would help greatly.
Susan

Geoffers
21-08-2007, 3:16 PM
The EELES family graves are:

John EELES, d 15 Jul 1935 aged 83 and his wife, Edith 23 Mar 1950 aged 83

Frank EELES, d 11 Jan 1964 aged 67 and Flora d 27 Dec 1960 aged 69

Also Albert John EELES, d 26 Aug 1915 aged 23, died of wounds in the Dardanelles.

If you like, I'll add those to the list of photos to take - any others whilst I'm down there?? It's a bit grey today, tomorrow I'm tied up with youngest son playing district cricket, I'll probably get the photos on Thursday.

Geoffers

Geoffers
21-08-2007, 3:30 PM
Part 2......
Looking at the CWGC web-site - Albert was the son of John EELES of Baywell Cottage, Charlbury. Baywell Cottage still stands, as you leave Charlbury towards Witney, it is the last house on the right. Go to www.google.co.uk (http://www.google.co.uk/) and search the maps for the postcode OX7 3AD and then select 'Satellite' and you'll get an aerial view of the cottage.
For the maiden name of Frank's wife, the best source to begin with is the birth certificate of one of their children. Do you know how to search for this and
how to order certificates? If not, please ask

Geoffers

Sunpat
21-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Geoffers

My gran's name I recalled as Flo, so Flora will indeed be my grandmother, thank you.
Photos of both the EELES and PICKETT graves would be terrific.

Re. birth certificates, I've checked FreeBMD trying to find birth information for my father (Cyril Francis)and any of his siblings (brothers, John + William/Bill, and sister, Muriel) and the information is not available.
Your advice would be very welcome.

Susan

Geoffers
21-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Re. birth certificates, I've checked FreeBMD trying to find birth information for my father (Cyril Francis)and any of his siblings (brothers, John + William/Bill, and sister, Muriel) and the information is not available.
Your advice would be very welcome.
Freebmd is not complete, there are few records for the 20th century on the site - the full General Register Officer (GRO) index is available on several pay-per-view sites.

Assuming your dad has died and so you cannot ask him - approximately when was he born? (an estimate may be made from the GRO death indedx, or from his death certificate, or from his marriage certifiacte).

The GRO index can also be viewed on fiches in many County Record Offices.

Geoffers

Geoffers
23-08-2007, 3:07 PM
Photos taken - I've sent you an e-mail to confirm it's okay for you to receive them

Geoffers

Sunpat
24-08-2007, 5:11 PM
Received photos - detail on them all is terrific, I almost feel that I am in the cemetery.

Thank you very much.

Susan
:)

Sunpat
12-09-2007, 3:14 PM
Thank you again for the photographs.

Re. Lily, daughter of James and Kate PICKETT and my great aunt, whose gravestone you kindly photographed.
Do you know of any information held locally about her death?

Sunpat

Geoffers
12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
There's mention of the drowning in the book about Charlbury, I'll try to find wehre I put my copy. The local museum has some stuff on it too. The drowning also appeared in local newspapers.

Geoffers

janbooth
13-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Susan,

I have found the Banns record of your Grandfather Frank's marriage in the OFHS PR transcripts of Charlbury:

December 3/10/17 1922 Frank EELES, bachelor, of the parish and Florence SHAYLER, spinster, of the parish of Leafield.

However, there is no baptismal record for Frank in Charlbury.

And from the OFHS PR trancripts of Leafield:

23 December 1922 Frank EELES, 26, Builder's Labourer, Charlbury, father John EELES, Hawker married Flora SHAYLER, 30, father Mark SHAYLER, Labourer, by Banns. Witnesses: Percy SHAYLER and Esther WILLIAMS.

21 June 1891 Flora SHAYLER daughter Mark & Victoria, Labourer baptised.

Let me know if you would like any more info. from the PR transcripts.

Janet

Sunpat
13-09-2007, 8:33 PM
Thank you very much Jan and Geoffers.

I'd be very grateful for more PR transcripts info., Jan.
I'll gather together what info. I have gleaned - too many assorted bits and pieces which need to be tidied up and then ask you about my 'gaps', if that is alright?.

Really sorry Geoffers, the PICKETT daughter I was asking about was Lily, who died in 1929, a younger sister of Evelyn, who drowned in 1924.
I hadn't known anything about Lily until you told me about her grave in Charlbury, now I'm really keen to find out why she died and as much as possible about the rest of my PICKETTs.
Please let me know what is in your Charlbury book about the drowning and if it is still in print.

Thank you again.

Sunpat

Geoffers
14-09-2007, 11:44 AM
I'll contact you by e-mail with more, the book is:
"A History of Charlbury" by Lois Hey, publ 2001 by The Wychwood Press.
The book is still in print in paperback.

Geoffers

janbooth
14-09-2007, 2:28 PM
Susan,

I am off on holiday for a week but will be happy to look for you when I get back. Just let me know what info you would like and I will try to help.

Janet

Sunpat
23-10-2007, 5:14 PM
Janet,

I wonder if you can help me with the death of Trevor EELES, a son of Frank and Flora.
I'm told he died in the 1920/30s (in infancy) and is buried under the wall of Charlbury Church.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunpat