PDA

View Full Version : Is TheGenealogist a good site?

tree-top
02-02-2009, 5:05 PM
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place.

Does anyone have any experience with TheGenealogist site? Is it a good search site and would you say its value for money?

I have lots of searches to do and after looking into how much train fare is to Lancashire just to research one branch of my family, i thought subscribing to TheGenealogist might be a better use of funds.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts and ideas, before i commit myself.

I was thinking of getting the - Personal Premium for 68.95 per year
This gives credit-free access to all included databases on an ongoing basis.

The 68.95 is less than the train fare to Lancashire!!!

What do you think?

Thanks in advance
Teresa

Geoffers
02-02-2009, 5:17 PM
The site always works quite quickly, you have to get used to the ways of searching. The indexing seems quite good and the display of results is good. It has the non-conformist records, which are useful if needed. Also, some military lists and directories. The full GRO index is there, some probate records

As to whether it is value for money? Well, it depends on what you think, whether or not you would get value for your research, and only you can determine that.

Maybe buy a few units to begin with and see what you think?

As always - subscribe in haste and repent at leisure.

tree-top
02-02-2009, 5:24 PM
Thanks Geoffers

Sorry post was in wrong place, I will take a look at the other sites on offer but as always, good advice is greatfully recieved.

Teresa

Beebee
02-02-2009, 5:25 PM
I have pm'd you a link to a free all inclusive trial subscription with 10 free credits, you do not have to give any credit/debit card details either. If you want to try it before committing yourself.

SBSFamilyhistory
02-02-2009, 5:50 PM
sorry to hijack this thread..but is there any chance that you could send me that link please bumblebee|hug|, I hope you don't sting |jumphappy

SueX

tree-top
02-02-2009, 6:07 PM
sorry to hijack this thread..but is there any chance that you could send me that link please bumblebee|hug|, I hope you don't sting |jumphappy

SueX

Hijack away, it sounds a great offer!

Teresa :D

tree-top
02-02-2009, 6:07 PM
I have pm'd you a link to a free all inclusive trial subscription with 10 free credits, you do not have to give any credit/debit card details either. If you want to try it before committing yourself.

Thanks for the link Beebee, very appreciated!
Teresa

Astoria
02-02-2009, 6:44 PM

Can I have the link too, please :D

Barbara Wilkinson
02-02-2009, 7:00 PM
and me - if I may be so bold ...!!!
I want to look at a few since a*** is up for renewal soon!

AnnB
02-02-2009, 7:33 PM
The site always works quite quickly, you have to get used to the ways of searching. The indexing seems quite good and the display of results is good. It has the non-conformist records, which are useful if needed. Also, some military lists and directories. The full GRO index is there, some probate records

I agree with Geoffers. I've used the Genealogist for a couple of years now and they are always adding new stuff. It really does depend on how you rate value for money and how much you are going to use what they have to offer.

As everyone else says, try it out first with a few credits, before you decide.

Best wishes
Ann

Beebee
02-02-2009, 7:56 PM
Link has been PM'd to those who asked. :)

cein
02-02-2009, 9:38 PM
Hello BeeBee,
I would like that link as well please.
Thank you,
Cein

Beebee
02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Link sent Cein.

Mutley
02-02-2009, 11:27 PM
BeeBee,
It is a very kind offer but if you get fed up with sending PM's just ask a Mod to close the thread.
We have over 19,000 members and they all love a freebie. :eek:

Barbara Wilkinson
02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Many thanks!!:)

stickymone
03-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Hi Theresa,

I've been using the G............t for some time now and I agree with the others it's not a bad site. The only downside is that the 1881 Census is not complete, it's not really a problem because you can get it for free on FMP.
I did what has been suggested, took the 10 credit free trial and decided to sign on to Personal Premium. It works for me but like the others have said "try before you buy"

Goodluck

Stickymone:D

Pam Downes
03-02-2009, 1:22 AM
To save inundating Beebee, for the free trial with 10 credits just do an internet search for 'The Genealogist' Should come up as the first (promoted) link.
Pam

tree-top
03-02-2009, 7:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the help and replies. I tried TheGenealogist (10 free credits) but couldn't get on with it. I had a look around and have opted for FindMyPast as it came up with stuff for most of my searches.

Thanks again to all who have helped
Teresa :)

Beebee
03-02-2009, 7:48 PM
Thank you for posting that piece of info Pam, I would have ended up with RSI posting it to 19,000 people. |laugh1|

LancsLass
03-02-2009, 8:32 PM
Hi Tree top
I notice that in your original question you mentioned that you are researching a Lancashire branch.
Might be worth commenting that Lancs is particularly well covered by free resources (better than the other counties I have been working on). The Lancs Parish Clerks site has more Parish records than most http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/ and the Lancashire BMD is really helpful http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/ since it often has more data that freebmd (mother's maiden name)
You might be able to save a few bob

tree-top
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi Tree top
I notice that in your original question you mentioned that you are researching a Lancashire branch.
Might be worth commenting that Lancs is particularly well covered by free resources (better than the other counties I have been working on). The Lancs Parish Clerks site has more Parish records than most http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/ and the Lancashire BMD is really helpful http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/ since it often has more data that freebmd (mother's maiden name)
You might be able to save a few bob

Hi LancsLass

How fantastic! I just did a search at www.lan-opc.org.uk and found the catholic marriage of my great grandfather!!

Checking the other site out now!

Thank you so very much :)

Teresa

raineshoe
06-02-2009, 7:08 PM
If you don't travel by train often you may not be aware but if you book tickets quite a while in advance and travel off peak you can get some really good cheap deals. I used to travel to London regularly from Lancs 1st class arriving out of peak times and used to get a seat cheaper than 2nd class!!!!

Otherwise is the possiblility of a researcher an option if you are unsure about paying for a particular web site.

tree-top
06-02-2009, 11:40 PM
If you don't travel by train often you may not be aware but if you book tickets quite a while in advance and travel off peak you can get some really good cheap deals. I used to travel to London regularly from Lancs 1st class arriving out of peak times and used to get a seat cheaper than 2nd class!!!!

Otherwise is the possiblility of a researcher an option if you are unsure about paying for a particular web site.

Thanks Raineshoe for the reply.

I don't think travelling up to Lancs on the train is my best option. A lovely member of this site has offered to do me a look up when she next goes if she has any time left over (i really appreciate her offer and in turn i offered my services in my local RO if ever needed) so maybe i won't need to go now.

I was thinking about a researcher but like the trainfare, i was wondering if it would be value for money. Does anyone know how much it costs to use a researcher?

Teresa

LancsLass
02-06-2009, 3:20 PM
Teresa
Going back to your original question. You remarked that you had searches to do in Lancashire.

In my experience Lancs is one of the best served counties for free sites. My research all started with Lancs and I get very frustrated by how badly served other counties are by comparision.

You can get a huge amount of information from LAN-OPC and Lancs BMD and there are a number of Phillimores Registers on the internet archive so do check out what you don't need to pay for before hitting the plastic.

Lancs FHS also has some good documents on fiche - as of course does Parish Chest.
Sarah

MythicalMarian
02-06-2009, 9:39 PM
Slightly off topic perhaps but - whilst I would agree on the whole with what Lancslass has said about Lancashire-based sites, I really must just add a rider about Lancs BMD. For some areas it is good, but Lancashire is a huge county with huge cities and the indexes are far from complete. In fact, one city which is poorly served still as yet - at 2nd June 2009 - is Manchester and its suburbs. I have to mention this because Manchester is, after all, one of the biggest cities in the country! Please check the coverage for Manchester for Births, Marriages AND Deaths. If you happily go off to find your Mancunians on Lancs BMD you are going to be disappointed.

I do NOT mean this as a complaint at all - as I said, Lancashire is an enormous county and the volunteers are working flat out with more and more info being updated weekly, but just beware that Manchester itself is lagging behind.

On the other hand - Preston is fantastic!

tree-top
03-06-2009, 9:03 PM
Thanks Lancslass and Mythicalmarian, i'll have a peek at your suggestions when i next get time. I'm afraid i've had to put my family tree on a back burner as i'm expecting a baby anytime now and have my hands full at the mo with preperations for the birth. I really do appreciate your replies though. Thank you both :O)

Teresa x

sueannbowen
03-06-2009, 11:49 PM
I have three subscriptions and each of them has different strengths and weaknesses. If I add them all together it costs me a lot less than haring round the countryside. I search on all three when pushed and most times get different answers which is very helpful and opens up different lines of enquiry. Genealogist is very useful for an address search and also if you want to search by name and occupation. For me Alchemy offers the best visual download of census docs and I often find something on one of the others, get the reference and view the original with Alchemy. The only one I am not sure about is FMP as I only subscribed because I thought I was getting 1911 - my poor research! FMP has helped with military info but not much else. As has already been said Genealogist is good for non-conformist records.

Soo depends what you are looking for really, but if you can afford it two is better than one!

Sue ;)

LancsLass
04-06-2009, 1:06 PM
Hi TreeTop

Loads of good luck with the baby.

The advice is always "sleep when the baby does" which is brilliant advice in the early days you need your rest. But when mine was a bit older I found his afternoon sleep a perfect time for a bit of family tree research and the nearest I got to adult conversation and using my brain.

Kind regards

Sarah