PDA

View Full Version : RE r a ? rha? port talbot bks 1914-1918

xqdg
23-07-2008, 7:05 PM
i am trying to find out the name of the old bks that stood in port talbot , it was used by r a and rha at different periods ,i believe it was there for a nearly 150 years or so but i can find no ref about it at all , i understand that dureing 1800s that troops used to bunk up in private houses around bks, so it would not have been a big bks ,, part of the old stable block still stands and is now a indoor range ,, and is used by asf , any help on this matter would be gratefully accepted , email add is in my profile.

Ladkyis
23-07-2008, 7:27 PM
OK so I understand Port Talbot but all the abbreviations mean nothing. There is no need to abbreviate words on here, and using the whole word ensures that everyone understands what you are asking for.

I would hate it if you missed out on information because the person who could help didn't understand the abbreviations.

pipsqueak
23-07-2008, 8:08 PM
Agreed.

After realising that the lower case letters were abbreviations, I automatically read "bks" as books, "r a" as Royal Academy and "rha" as Royal Horticultural..... something-beginning-with-A, all in the space of 20 seconds!

pipsqueak
23-07-2008, 8:10 PM
OK I've re-read and I get it now:

bks = barracks
r a = Royal Artillery
rha = Royal Horse Artillery
asf = still a mystery

:)

Mutley
23-07-2008, 8:25 PM
Is this a new competition? :D

If so you are doing really well Pipsqueak.

xqdg, if you would like us to edit your title into something that people would understand better we are quite happy to do so.

Some of the members reading the posts are not that good with sight, are a bit old, well ancient really. They don't do text speak and may not be able to make sense of your abbreviations.

PS What is asf?

v.wells
23-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Is this a new competition? :D

If so you are doing really well Pipsqueak.

xqdg, if you would like us to edit your title into something that people would understand better we are quite happy to do so.

Some of the members reading the posts are not that good with sight, are a bit old, well ancient really. They don't do text speak and may not be able to make sense of your abbreviations.

PS What is asf?

Mutley, you make me laugh!|laugh1|

asf= all souls foolish?

I am NOT old BUT I do NOT do text speak and it is unnecessary here.:D

Ladkyis
24-07-2008, 12:11 AM
I suspect that xqdg wants us to email with the answers.

Sue Mackay
24-07-2008, 12:20 AM
PS What is asf?

Take your pick from these (http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ASF) - there are loads!!

I'd guess Army Special Forces from the context

Mutley
24-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Nah! I am going to chose

Anti Spam Filter

It might send the nasty spammers into a tizzwas thinking we had found a new way to disguise email addresses. :D

xqdg
24-07-2008, 1:21 AM
Nah! I am going to chose

Anti Spam Filter

It might send the nasty spammers into a tizzwas thinking we had found a new way to disguise email addresses. :D

the answer to all your questions are that the thread is aimed at army people who are in the know, the abbrevreations are as some one mentioned but it should not have been asf it should have been acf= army cadet force

xqdg
24-07-2008, 1:26 AM
Mutley, you make me laugh!|laugh1|

asf= all souls foolish?

I am NOT old BUT I do NOT do text speak and it is unnecessary here.:D

that is how we break things down in the army so it would be necessary to get replies off the right people,, and i am lazy

Mutley
24-07-2008, 1:30 AM
My apologies xqdg.

We were having a joke with you and that was probably a little unfair.

We females do like to poke our noses in. It will teach us to stay away from the army questions in future. :D

Ladies, beware, we are not 'in the know' and should not interfere in a perfectly reasonable question.;)

P.S. Even though xqdg got his initials in a twist and admits he is lazy. But I do love a fellow with a sense of humour. Good on yer mate:)

xqdg
24-07-2008, 1:31 AM
OK so I understand Port Talbot but all the abbreviations mean nothing. There is no need to abbreviate words on here, and using the whole word ensures that everyone understands what you are asking for.

I would hate it if you missed out on information because the person who could help didn't understand the abbreviations.

if the text it read to the end it is easy to understand the abbreviations and as it is aimed at army personnel i thought they would be the best thing to use,

xqdg
24-07-2008, 1:33 AM
My apologies xqdg.

We were having a joke with you and that was probably a little unfair.

We females do like to poke our noses in. It will teach us to stay away from the army questions in future. :D

Ladies, beware, we are not 'in the know' and should not interfere in a perfectly reasonable question.;)

yes i agree and they allow ladies in regiments these days that we men would have frowned upon when i was in ((((( just a little bit of my own back ))))) lol

Mutley
24-07-2008, 1:39 AM
This forum supports equal opportunities:D

Anyone can ask and anyone can reply but only reply if you think you know the answer:confused:.

ChristineR
24-07-2008, 2:30 AM
I see that your location is in Port Talbot.

Why not seek information from your local historical society.
Google may bring up information - but not if you use abbreviations.

pipsqueak
24-07-2008, 4:28 AM
if the text it read to the end it is easy to understand the abbreviations and as it is aimed at army personnel i thought they would be the best thing to use,

But even the army uses capital letters for their abbreviations.... Also, the dates in your subject heading (1914-1918) apply to the First World War, not the Boer War, so I believe this is also the wrong forum. Something else the army is good at.... being in the wrong place at the wrong time!!
;)

v.wells
24-07-2008, 5:40 AM
I shouldn't but..... |laugh1|

Procat
24-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Greetings XQDG

Can you please advise if this thread relates to WWI or Boer War. If the former a Mod will move it for you, alternatively we can change the title to remove the 1914-18 reference if it should not be there.

leamington
25-07-2008, 9:24 AM
I'm afraid that I do not know its name, but the Port Talbot barracks was the headquarters of the Glamorgan Royal Horse Artillery - a unit of the Territorial Force.

Ladkyis
25-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Have a look here

http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/greatwar/allied/royalhorseartillery.html

I simply put Glamorgan Royal Horse Artillery into the Google search engine and came up with a huge number of hits.

I usually try to google any question first just to see what comes up. Then if I don't get the answer I think is right or doesn't completely answer my question I ask in this forum.

Terry Reeves
25-07-2008, 8:35 PM
In fact, many barracks did not have a specific name and were often just known as "the barracks", but almost inevitably took the name the town or city of their location or even district. In this case it may also have been known locally as Pontrhydyfen Barracks.

Terry Reeves

xqdg
26-07-2008, 1:19 AM
But even the army uses capital letters for their abbreviations.... Also, the dates in your subject heading (1914-1918) apply to the First World War, not the Boer War, so I believe this is also the wrong forum. Something else the army is good at.... being in the wrong place at the wrong time!!
;)

the camp was there a long time before 1914-1918 but it was used by r h a ta then they became a regular force so i was just covering 1914-18 for this forum

xqdg
26-07-2008, 1:21 AM
Have a look here

http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/greatwar/allied/royalhorseartillery.html

I simply put Glamorgan Royal Horse Artillery into the Google search engine and came up with a huge number of hits.

I usually try to google any question first just to see what comes up. Then if I don't get the answer I think is right or doesn't completely answer my question I ask in this forum.

i did try and hit plenty myself but not any name for bks hense my little bit on the forum i also have the help of x service men off my own regimental forum trying to find out the name of said bks

xqdg
26-07-2008, 1:25 AM
In fact, many barracks did not have a specific name and were often just known as "the barracks", but almost inevitably took the name the town or city of their location or even district. In this case it may also have been known locally as Pontrhydyfen Barracks.

Terry Reeves

terry thanks for a nice response as i found some where more critical of my question than a help , as you said a lot of bks where not named and also they didnt always billet the men , a lot where billeted in locals houses , pontrhydyfren bks has come up on my search once before , i disrgarded this as it is about 4 miles away , but i will now look in to this via local chapels and churches within the area , as this might show your name for bks to be correct through chapel records of old once again thanks for a decent response

regards xqdg

xqdg
26-07-2008, 1:28 AM
I see that your location is in Port Talbot.

Why not seek information from your local historical society.
Google may bring up information - but not if you use abbreviations.
if peole dont understand the abbreviations then i doubt they could help anyway
regards xqdg

MarkJ
26-07-2008, 2:15 AM
Just because someone may not understand the abbreviations (and I understood them except the incorrect one for the ACF), does not mean that they can't assist. Here on the forum there are lots of people - not all Forces or ex-Forces people - who know a lot about specific areas. Someone who grew up in Port Talbot for example - or whose parents or grandparents lived there- may well know the answer to your questions. Hence the comments about the use of abbreviations.
Nobody is trying to knock your post - just pointing out that it makes sense to give as much information as possible so that all the forum members can comprehend the question.
I can hazard a guess that your user name for example means Ex Queens Dragoon Guards (although there is a QDF ACF in the same area of Wales) without too much difficulty ;) but others may not.

Mark