PDA

View Full Version : Greers of Ontario, from Ireland

JLGreer
30-01-2008, 3:23 AM
Now that I have introduced myself, I would like to put forward a hypothesis I am working on, for while trying to trace my Greer lineage back through Canada to Ulster, I have built a database of every Greer/Greir/Grier/Greear I could find in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, And Nova Scotia, and some in the New England area for the period of the late 1700s to the late 1800s. in my search for my immediate line I have pondered this theory below- are the familes of early Ontario Greers immediately related, I have searched for each one of them to connect them back to Ireland, severlal I have proven but several I have had no such luck on. In my notes I had a loose family of Greers from Ireland, and not until I realised I had the family of Thomas Greer who married Ellen Maria MacDonald and migrated to Ontario in my database, did this give some light to my theory...had the other brothers and sister of this family also relocated to Canada?

from my notes-

from a WorldConnect source, Willaim Greer's children with Ann(1765-1811) were John (b abt 1765), William Greer (b ABT 1786), Susannah Greer (b ABT 1790), 3 unnamed daughters born 1792, 1795, and 1796 (I feel that any of these could be sons), Ann Greer (b abt 1799), and Joseph Greer (b abt 1802), the children of William Greer with Margaret (1770-1833) are listed as Margaret Greer (b abt 1812), and Thomas Greer (b 1815) who married Ellen Maria MacDonald and resided in Ontario.

here is my working thesis on the above children from my notes-

I've been piecing this puzzle together for the last few months and at the present all the pieces are falling into place nicely, the one link that the family info from WorldConnect provides is the one marriage given for the son Thomas Greer who married Ellen Maria McDonald and this family lived in Ontario in 1851:

1851 Albion Twp, Peel County
Copyright (c)2005, Mary Crandall, OntarioGenWeb's Census Project (http://ontariocensus.rootsweb.com)
Transcriber: Mary Crandall
Proofreader: Angela Whitehead
LAC # C-11746
LDS # 349233
District: Peel
District No: 28
Sub-District: Albion
Sub-District No: 268

Greer Thomas farmer Ireland Illegible 35 m m x
Greer Ellen blank Illegible 28 f m x
Greer Mary blank Illegible 10 f s x
Greer Margret blank Illegible 7 f s x
Greer George blank Illegible 5 m s x
Greer Thomas blank Illegible 3 m s x
Greer John blank Illegible 1 m s x
McDonald Mary blank Illegible 74 f s x
Obrien Michal blank Illegible 19 m s x

These are, I believe , the children of William Greer via Ann(1765-1811)& Margaret (1770-1833 m. 1811)-John Greer born ABT 1785 (I've found no info as of yet), William Greer born ABT 1786 (I've found no info as of yet), Susannah Greer born ABT 1790( again no info yet), Possibly child- George Greer born 1792 m. Margaret 'Mary' Dunbar(b. 1800) in 1834 ( her second marriage, Dunbar is her late husbands name) Mathew Greer born 1796 m Susanna Henderson in 1827, James Greer born 1797 m. Sarah Dewert in 1827 and later Rebecca Craig (probably around 1836), Ann Greer born 1799 m. Joseph Thompson (b. 1790) in 1825, Joseph Greer born 1801/02 m Sally Ann Armstrong in 1827, Margaret Greer born 1812 m. Thomas Crosson (b. 1803) in 1834, Thomas Greer Born 1815(d. 1876) m. Mary Welch(d. 1834)in 1832 and later Ellen Maria McDonald.
(source: South-Central Ontario Baptism, Burial & Marriage provided vital information for these marriages, the birthdates are gleamed from later census records)

The above is a working thesis of the early pioneering Greer families of Ontario, one will note that the marriages of 1825-1828 are uncanny to say the least, but by pure luck I happened on the family at WorldConnect (at present, it's the only source I have found with parents for any of them) that had all of these children of William's names in the proper sequence to line up with the names of the Greers who all got married at or around the same time. Furthermore, the one child with decendancy in this family info WAS a family of the early Ontario area...Thomas and Ellen Maria McDonald. Another note, the family info has three unnamed daughters between the Susannah and Ann, with the birth dates lining up with in a year or two of the three children I have allotted , that being George(1792 exact date), Mathew(1796 date was 1794), and James (1797 was 1796), these are of course sons, but the date of their marriages and the proximity to the other descendants was to uncanny for me not to include for the time being until otherwise proven, that they were the missing unnamed children.

again the above children of William with Ann and with Margaret, are hypothetical (thats is, unsourced, unproven), but... they are Greer families who appear in the early Ontario records

welcoming any observations
thanks again
J.L.Greer

v.wells
30-01-2008, 4:54 AM
From what I know and I may be proven wrong World Connect is a compilation of various databases which are not on the whole sourced.

LDS or www.familysearch.org is a good place to start for pre-1837. If the info is sourced, Batch files are provided and Source notes tell you which parish to contact for further info.

Also the 1901 and 1911 Irish census are now online at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/. Do you know the Irish Counties the Greer's originated from? I may well be asking questions that you already know the answers too.

It appears (to me anyway) that you are attempting to create a databank of all Greer's - perhaps by googling Greer family tree you may come up with new information. There is also a Thumbtack Note on the Canadian forum that is an excellent source of resources for Canadian genealogy. Findmypast.com has passenger shipping lists. By googling ship manifests you might find something.

Not all those with the same name are related. There are a lot of people with my surname in my town and none of them are remotely related to me. Some people changed their names from the unfamiliar to the familiar. There are also variations eg: Grierson - son of Grier, Gruyere, the list goes on. People from foreign countries changed names to avoid persecution or prosecution. Some couldn't read or write and got stuck with a name someone (who could write) dreamed up! Your Greer families could just be coincidentally in the same province around the same time and some could indeed be related to each other. GENUKI is another good source for Irish county information.

I probably haven't helped a whole lot - Sorry|blush|

JLGreer
30-01-2008, 5:36 AM
No need to be sorry Venessa,

You make Valid points

I agree with you

I have been sourcing as many of these Greers of Ontario. These are but a few. The coincidence is perhaps just that. and WorldConnect is a horrid place to refer to for source information, second only to OneWorldTree.

These families do tie together, and they are from the first wave of Greers who settled Ontario, arriving about 1825, save for one or two fronteirsmen named Greer/grier who were scouting the are in the late 1700s.

I have a heck of a time trying to resource in Ireland, but I try to do it all on the cheap and have yet to hire someone to search the records I know are in PRONI. I may just just fly there and visit for myself soon.

I have been scouring the internet for over a year trying to source these specific families ( I probably spend about 15 hours a week on average doing research, it's become an addiction), only that one hit of William Greer keeps popping up. Several times it appears I may have a family tree with a Greer who matches the correct birthdates, but only to find that person sourced elswhere and having descendants etc who are also sourced.

I am hoping anyone out there can claim at least one or more of these Greers I mentioned in the OP, just so I can rule out the hypothesis...in fact thats my problem, I keep trying to rule it out...its TOOO convenient, but nothing. its negative space, suggesting something is there.

The Greers I mentioned above in the OP are all sourced, save for William Greer (b abt 1760 ) and his two wives, I just have not been able to link them to any parents yet.

the biggest problem with Greer/Greir/Grier/Greerson/Greere/Greear/Grayson/Grierson/etc research in North America is, as far as I can tell, there has been little effort or inroads into Canada, and most of the decendants stick with the "James Greer the Immigrant" theory being the source of all the Greers(etc) in the Americas, which is hogwash...there were several other ancestors who migrated to the Americas who tie into the Grierson( of Dumfrieshire, Lag, Barjarg, Capenoch, Nether Keir, etc) lineage in several different areas. Which is why I have been building a database of the ones who migrated along the northern US border and into Canada.

but I digress.

thank you for responding, I welcome any advice or information, I also openly share any of the information I have come upon. Its been my endeavor to find these ancestors so future generations will know of them.

J.L.Greer

JLGreer
30-01-2008, 5:50 AM
Bleh,
I forgot to answer your question

I am not certain the county they hail from. I always felt it was Armagh, or Tyrone, its something lost in my ton of notes somewhere but sticks in the back of my mind.

I've been searching North Ireland for traces of them, I recently have been looking at a William Greer, Alexander Greer, Thomas Greer, and John Greer who all resided together in Mullalish(sp?), county Armagh, on the Registry of Freeholders for Armagh, in 1829. I would be interested in knowing more on these families.

v.wells
30-01-2008, 4:59 PM
Please check the Canadian resources thread. I know I live in Canada and have been basically raised Canadian and should know a lot, but (I was born in England) my research is totally English/Irish/Scots - I have only just started the Irish leg and as you say it is slow going. I get brain drain easily after researching my lot! And it is not easy when doing research from a different country. Another idea is to check out Genesreunited. It is a ppcontact site unless you get a sub which may be worth it if you get a lot of hot hits. I only offer some suggestions. There are others on the forum who will see this thread and offer some real solid leads as they are more clever at the type of thing that you are trying to do which is a one name study. I'm not coming up with any lightbulb moments!

JLGreer
31-01-2008, 2:10 AM
Good idea!

thanks I had not looked at the CD things, so much information/links here to absorb I keep getting sidetracked.

had not heard of Genesreunited, thanks for that

I have been all over the Canada websites, well as much as I can from Australia ( I am originally from the Seattle area) where I live now. If only I had been nitten by the bug when i was traveling the states! I lived in Virginia for a few years and often went to Pennsylvania, though never had any reason to travel to Toronto just a skip away, but I certainly would have now!

cheers

v.wells
31-01-2008, 5:00 AM
Do you have access to ancestry...uk.? There are a several Greer trees in your timeline,
the main one is William Greer b 1765 , Dungannon, Tyrone, Ireland parents James Greer and Sarah Delap. It goes back to 1645. The tree is sourced and public. There are some that are OWT unsourced so discount them but use them for info - prove the association before you accept and don't add them into a tree if you have one. I usually print the page if I need the info.

v.wells
31-01-2008, 5:09 AM
There is anothe 1 Lists William Greer and Margaret b 1765 Co Down,Ireland. and another one William Greer 1779, Ireland m Margaret Speake 3 attached records and sources. there's at least 3-5 pages of trees that mention William Greer. There is also a tree for Thomas Greer to Ellen Maria MacDonald from Co Down to Ontario with a whack of children. tree owner is lazieirene - is that you?

JLGreer
31-01-2008, 11:27 AM
No I am not Lazieirene, But I have read that tree and it tied into my info, I believe Thomas(b.1815) may well be a brother to my ancester Joseph greer(b. 1802)who married Sarah "sally' Ann Armstrong in 1827.

I do have access to Ancestry UK but I think its ancestry.au that has the ireland records i need, which i do not have access to at this time. I may be wrong, I have had my nose stuck in Ontario records for the last 8 monthes.

Its ironic, I just stumbled on those IGI batch files for William and Ann, and William and Margaret, last night, another irony is way back when i first started looking into my tree I made a note of that same william to Ann and it had since been buried in the bottom of the 'too hard basket'.

let me use this as a sounding board now that I am here, I'm gonna just ramble it out from my notes and try to logic my way through it, bear with me folks-

So now I am to determine if a) they are the same William, and b) why does the source from Lurgan Quakers( owned by Joyce Parsons) have that William Greer ( b. 1765 of James and Sarah Delap) married to Elizabeth Bell in 1799... How can both be sourced unless William married 3 times? granted William who married Margaret in 1815 may not be the same as the one who married Ann in 1785, then did he Marry Elizabeth Bell? if so Ann was alive till 1812 according to the Thomas and Ellen MAria records, hardly cricket. the Lurgan Quaker records say 'William died without issue" was it because he had no issue with Elizabeth Bell?

Anyhow, I did match up some of the Greers with IGI files-

I will post it in a reply to this

JLGreer
31-01-2008, 12:04 PM
here goes-

John GRIER- Chr: 09 SEP 1785 Moira, Down, Ireland parents William & Ann
William GRIER- Chr:14 MAY 1789 Donaghmore, Tyrone, Ireland- to William & Ann
Sussanah GREER-Chr: 03 OCT 1790 Moira, Down, Ireland- to Wm & Ann
Thomas GREER- Birth: 1815 Moira, Down, Ireland- To William & Margaret
>Death: 14 AUG 1876
>Spouse: Ellen Maria McDonald
>Marriage: 1840 , Peel, Ontario (no Batch file just user submission)
Andrew GREER-Christening: 10 MAR 1816 Donaghmore, Tyrone, Ireland- To William and Mary
(unk. male) GRIER-Christening: 09 FEB 1819 Donaghmore, Tyrone, Ireland - to William & Mary

these are the marriages of William Grier & William Greer from the IGI's-

William GRIER-
Birth: About 1762 Castlecaulfield, Donaghmore, Tyrone, Ireland
Spouse: Mrs Ann Grier
Marriage: About 1787
(no batch file just a user submission)

William GREER-
Birth-
Spouse: MARY CLEMENTS
Marriage: 26 APR 1815 Donaghmore, Tyrone, Ireland

Secondly, we have-

William GREER (AFN: 1DZZ-XV2)
Birth: Abt 1765 Dungannon, Tyrone, Ireland
Parents
Father: James GREER (AFN: 1DZZ-D5X)
Mother: Sarah DELAP (AFN: 1DZZ-B36)
Spouse: Elizabeth BELL (AFN: 1DZZ-XW8)
Marriage: 18 Sep 1799

It would appear that William Greer, son of James and Sarah Delap is not the father of Thomas Greer after all, I can see where one may have misconstrued that Dungannon with Donaghmore, and the date of Abt 1765 was close enough to that of Abt 1762 ;) if it were nto for the Lurgan Quaker records for WIlliam son of James and Sarah noting him as 'died without issue', I would persue the line of thought that they may have been his parents, and his place of birth, citing the 'no batch file', was in error.

Thirdly, we have (Thank you again Vanessa!)-
William GREER 1779, Ireland m Margaret SPEAKE

so it seems, that the Marriages of William GREER with Ann and then Margaret in the tree I was originally looking at is a conglomeration between all three marriages-
1) William GRIER(b. abt 1762) with Ann (m 1787) appear to be the parents of John(1785), William(1789), and Susannah(1790)(note GREER not GRIER though same place as Johns parents who are GRIER);

2) William GREER with Margaret Speake(m 1779) which would apear to be the parents of Thomas GREER(b.1815);

3) William GREER (b Unk.) with Mary CLEMENTS (m. 1815) which would apear to be the parents of Andrew Greer (b1816) and 'Unk male' GREER (b1819) whom are both new factors to this problem anyways.. This is possibly William Greer born 1789, son of marriage #1.

ok so I can conclude that my lead was false, or in error, and now I am still left with trying to find the parents of Joseph Greer (b1802) who married Sarah 'sally' Ann Armstrong in 1827.

I think that sums that up, thanks for listening

Irony is the act of realising had you only waited another week you would have answered your own question from the newly gathered information you sorted out .
|banghead|

and this one is for WorldConnect-|computer|

=)

v.wells
31-01-2008, 4:35 PM
And OWT|computer|and unsourced IGI user submitted info|computer|. I have gotten lost in all this info and thoroughly:confused:. Only suggestion is to contact tree owners to clarify. Failing that go back to where you do Know the info is correct. It is very easy to get lost in the maze of names. I have gone in circles many times. My pile of paper could paper my whole house|biggrin|. I have spent some 2 weeks going thru it and discarding stuff I thought was important and isn't of any use. But in the process of double checking things I have generated more paper. I congratulate the computer Gods|bowdown|

Solution: Get in the car, roll up the windows, lock doors - and SCREAAM!!
Works like a charm to get rid of stress!

Carolyn28
01-02-2008, 1:06 AM
Hi
I also have a Greer line.
I looked through some notes and thought I might pass them on to you.

"from
Scenes & Parlor Talk at Liberty Hall.

Fri Dec 28 1860 a conversation by a Perry Greer & wife Amanda.

Rober Grier came from Ireland. Family were formerly from an island off coast of Scotland called Islay." Queen of the Hebrides." Ancestorial home of the McDonalds and the Campbells.

(note I have searched some of the Campbells of the USA that went to Canada because they were loyalists. I don't know if that is the case of your Campbells.)

"Many of the Greers in the Southeastern US prior to 1800 descended from either James Greer of Scotland who emigrated to Baltimore. Alexander Greer of Ireland who's sons emigrated through Philadelphia Penn mid 1700's.

I have'nt check any of this out but thought it might be of interest.

There is a John /James Greer born Lag Argyle Ireland possible son of Scotlands James Grierson and Mary Browne who also was born in Ireland.

Best wishes
Carolyn

Hall/Swan
29-12-2008, 1:26 AM
Freeholder list.. William Greer, Aughliss Dungannon

JLGreer
30-12-2008, 2:44 AM
hello Hall/Swan

thank you for that.
I beilieve I have seen this William you are talking of, but have not been able to make a definate match via birth records for children, that is ai have noted those brith records previosly in this post but am not positive it is the same William of Dungannon. I will look into it again on the Freeholders list.

Do you by chance know if this William (Greer) of Dungannon has brothers James, John, Thomas, Joseph, and possibly a brother George?

My info tells me these were brothers that came to Ontario in 1823, along with an Alexander Greer & Samuel Greer (brothers), and another Joseph Greer with wife ( brother to Alex and Sam?), possibly cousins to the lot above.
Also, it is speculated via the family history of the children of George Greer mentioned above that they came from Dungannon, though the ship records state they sailed from Newry and were from Bailieborough (sp?).

regards,

J. L. Greer

JLGreer
30-12-2008, 2:54 AM
I just googled for the Freeholders list-May 1829 to 12 June 1832

Had not seen that one before, it most be relatively new to the web, or I have missed it somehow in my searching for William Greers.

I'll add it to my info, I have some info on Greers of Dungannon from the mid-late 1700s, this could be a child of one of them, it could well be William the elder I am looking for. I did note a Joseph Greer of Dungannon as well. More pieces to the tapestry.

Good find mate, thanks much
:)

Hall/Swan
31-12-2008, 1:15 AM
Well believe it or not I was just going through whatever Freeholders lists I could find for my Hall family and this page was actually on the screen when I read your message! There was the William Greer record right in front of me! Good timing??|wave|

Kelly Greer
29-03-2009, 11:14 PM
It is certainly nice to see all of this information and speculation on my Greer ancestors. Not sure if what I have will help or simply add to the confusion here but the following is what I have on my Greer family ancestors (which you have been discussing here):

GENERATION # 1 -
I. William Greer
b. Abt. 1760 in Northern Ireland (possibly in County Armagh or County Down).
Married first to a wife named ANN M.N.U. who was b. abt. 1765 in N. Ireland. She died prior to 1811. They were married abt. 1784 in Moira Parish, County Down, N. Ireland. Their children were 1. John Greer b. Sep 9, 1785, 2. William Greer b. Aug. 14, 1786 (not 1789), 3. Susanna Greer b. Oct. 3, 1790, 4. James Greer b. 1797, 5. Joseph Greer b. abt. 1801
Married Secondly to wife named Margaret M.N.U. abt. 1811 presumably in Moira Parish, County Down, N. Ireland. She was born about 1770 and died prior to 1833. Their children were 1. Margaret b. Feb. 2, 1812 and 2. Thomas Greer b. 1815 (my ancestor).

I do not know, for a certainty, who were the parents of William Greer (b. abt. 1760). One theory (that you have not discussed here) is that he may have been the son of a John Greer b. prior to July 29, 1722 in Waringstown, County Down, Ireland and his wife Ruth Sheppard b. abt. 1723. They were married on April 6, 1744. Known children are an Eliza Greer, a Ruth Greer, a Benjamin Greer b. prior to Jan. 1, 1746, a James Greer b. abt. 1755 and possibly my William Greer b. abt. 1760.

I suggest the above theory (that William's father's name was JOHN Greer) because William named his eldest known son as JOHN.

This James Greer, who was born abt. 1755, later served as
------------------------------------------------------------------
Generation # 2 - Children of William Greer and wife Ann

II - John Greer b. Sep. 9, 1785 (Source - Moira Parish Church records), in Legmore, Moira Parish, County Down, Northern Ireland.......no further record on him.

III - William Greer b. Aug 14, 1786 (Source - Moira Parish Church records) in Legmore, Moira Parish, County Down, N. Ireland. No further record of him.

IV - Susanna Greer b. Oct. 3, 1790 (Source - Moira Parish Church records) in Legmore, Moira Parish, County Down, N. Ireland.

V - James Greer b. abt. 1797 (Source - 1851 Canadian Census of Peel County, Ontario, Canada) presumably in Moira Parish, County Down, N. Ireland. His year of birth is given as 1799 in the book "Early History of Greer Family" by David Greer (a grandson of James and Rebecca Greer). James died on June 12, 1859 (Source "Early History of Greer Family" by David Greer). His WILL was written in March of 1859 and it was filed in December of 1859 in Albion Twp., Peel County, Ontario, Canada. James' wife was named Rebecca Craig (daughter of Thomas Craig). She was born in 1798 (Source - 1871 Canadian Census). They were married about 1820 in Ireland (presumably in Moira Parish, County Down, N. Ireland. She died on Aug 11, 1881 in Albion Twp., Peel County, Ontario, Canada (Source - Her Estate records). James Greer was buried in the Providence Cemetery in Albion Twp., Peel County, Ontario, Canada.

VI - Joseph Greer b. abt. 1801 (Sources - 1851, 1861 and 1871 Canadian Census records) in Moira Parish, County Down, N. Ireland. Joseph died on July 3, 1881, in Mono Twp., Dufferin County, Ontario, Canada. (Source - Death Record of Joseph Greer on file in the Office Register General of Toronto, Ontario, Canada). His wife's name was Elizabeth (Maiden Name Unknown).
--------------------------------------
GENERATION # 2 - Children of William and his second wife Margaret

VII - Margaret Greer b. Feb. 2, 1810 in Moira, Moira Parish, County Down, N. Ireland. (Source - Moira Parish Church Records Dromore Diocese, County Down, N. Ireland). No further record of her.

VIII - Thomas Greer b. 1815 (Source - "Record of Family Traits" documented by Sarah & Dora Greer in 1915 - He was also recorded on the 1871 Canadian Census as being 56 years of age at that time). He was a Methodist Lay Minister and a farmer. He was born in County Armagh, Northern Ireland. He died on Aug. 14, 1876 in Saugeen Twp., Bruce County, Ontario, Canada. He married Ellen Maria McDonald (daugher of "Squire" George McDonald and his wife Mary Ann (Tate?). She was born Sep. 9, 1822, in either New York or New Jersey. She died on May 26, 1908 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. She and her husband were both buried in Sanctuary Park, Port Elgin, Bruce County, Ontario, Canada.

I will not go into the third generation at this time as this has gotten to be rather lengthy already. If there are questions or if I can be of assistance in any way please feel free to contact me by e-mailing me at IXLR82 AT gmail DOT com Thanks/Kelly Greer

JLGreer
30-03-2009, 2:46 AM
Hi Kelly,

It is very nice to find another relative!

I am certainly a descendant of Joseph Greer born 1801. Would be very interested in any information you may have linking him to William born 1860. All I ever found was the parish birth record. I also have been in contact with other descendants of the Greers who migrated to Ontario in 1823. Of which, was the youngest brother Thomas (b. 1815) who married Ellen Maria MacDonald it was that families ties to the William Greer (b. 1760) which led me to the search for the records of his other children.

Also I noticed you are from Idaho. My family settled in Kalispell and Cascade Montana in the 1890s, also in Spokane in 1900-1905 and are buried there. I have been tracing other Greers of Ontario who also migrated through MIchigan/Wiscosin- Dakotas- Montana- Oregon/Washington in hopes of further consolidating the family

please contact me

regards,
J. L. Greer

Kelly Greer
31-03-2009, 4:59 PM
I mentioned to you in an e-mail message that my distant cousin, Sally (Painter) Prior put together a book on our Greer family ancestors back in the early 1970's. In that book she mentioned several times that my Greer ancestors who came from Ireland to Canada immigrated prior to 1833. So perhaps it WAS as early as 1823 when they did immigrate to Canada. BUT if that is true then my Thomas Greer would have been only about eight years old at that time if that is the case.

Why 1823 tho? Was there a large movement from Ireland to Canada at that time? Is there any documentation on early Ship records which proves that they immigrated to Canada in 1823? If so I'd love to be able to review them if possible.

As to connecting my Thomas Greer (or James or Joseph) to William I can only relate what was written in my cousin's book as follows:

"We Greer cousins in the United States have had little legendary knowledge about our 'Scotch Irish (Ulster Scot) Greer family. We only knew from a record written in 1914 by a daughter-in-law of Thomas Greer's that he was born in Northern Ireland (1815), and in the 1940's the same daughter-in-law said he was orphaned as a young child, and at about age eight (someone later wrote in "een" to the end of this eight, i.e, eight-een) was brought to Canada by an uncle. That amount of information was not enough for beginning the search for our Irish ancestry."

"Later a Canadian Cousin added some help, telling us that Thomas' birthplace was in or near Armagh. (His death record says he was born in Armagh County)"........"However, I knew this was still not specific enough as to place, for delving into Ireland records is very difficult. Before I could begin a search for Thomas' parents I would need the name of a townland in Ireland, or better yet a probable parish."

"Then from another Canadian cousin I got a big boost which indirectly gave me the name of that close relative and a probably parish. She told the story of Thomas' emigration as she had heard it. 'Uncle Kit said that Thomas Greer was orphaned and came to Canada as a teenager with two older half-brothers, all sons of the same father.'

"I was elated, for this story fit with what I had learned about two men named Greer who lived near Thomas in Ontario. I had felt these men must have been related to our Thomas for they and Thomas are the only men of that surname appearing in early records of two entire counties (in Ontario, Canada). But several details about the other Greers had not fit out 'U.S. cousins' version of the story of Thomas' emigration."

"The two men I had found living near our Thomas in Peel County, Ontario, Canada, was JAMES GREER (b. Ireland, 1799) and JOSEPH GREER (b. Ireland, 1801)."

The above is the first several paragraphs of Sally (Painter) Prior's section (in her book) pertaining to the Greer Family In Northern Ireland.
If you would like more of this detailed please e-mail me/Kelly

joette
31-03-2009, 5:26 PM
This has been a fascinating post for me to read.I also have Greers in my lineage but alas not these Greers(not that I could prove anyway).
Mine I have tailed to the early 1800's to St Quivocks in Ayr.Gilbert Greer is a oft chosen first name with many Gilberts being named up until at least the 1950's.My Granny had at least five cousins all named Gilbert Greer.
I suspect that they originated in Ireland as I can find no trace in St Quivocks where my original Gilbert Greer claims birth-they have extensive & readable Parish Records including Death/Burials ones but no mention of a Greer marriage/birth or death.
I did enjoy reading those records though.They included the cause of death & the inclusion of several "unknowns" who died within the Parish.

JLGreer
01-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Kelly,

Yes that last post of mine was prior to to me emailing you ( I was in a hurry at the time and had not caught the email at the bottom, I believe your ruse to evade the spammers is perhaps too good ;) )

Thanks you for those tidbits though, I will get back to you soon in more detail. I have sourced the ship log for the greers moving up the St lawrence in 1823, after landing in Quebec, with them are some Porters, a R. Craig ( perhaps Rebecca?..or maybe a Robert Craig seems to come to mind), some Armstrongs and other names affiliated with the early Ontario Greers. Unfortunately there is only a mention of 115 settlers on the 'Brig Mary' that landed in Quebec, from Ireland, at that time.

From what I have gathered via the other Greer descendants of the area, and some Armstrong descendants, Thomas Greer came after that wave in 1823. I believe I have seen a ship log for him Ellen,in the 1830s, but am not certain I made a note of it, will have to search for it again.

as to why they came in 1823- there was a huge push to colonize Ontario after the war of 1812, and Ireland was nto faring well with the Potato Famine coming on , among other turmoils of the times especially in Ulster ( the birth of the IRA etc). I think it was bountiful in Ontario at first, and those first settlers did very well, but after a few decades of mass immigration our ancestors were compelled to head westward to find better lands. Also, another reason for their migration is one of our forefathers, Albert E. Greer, was a founding board member of the Ontario Pacific railroad and a lot of our relatives followed its progression towards Seattle and British Columbia, building the tracks, tressels, & bridges and running the railroads.

anyhow I will get back to you via Email soon

------------------------------------------------------------
Joette,

I have been trying to trace as many Greer/Grier/Greirson etc as possible, and am slightly familiar with your dilema on Gilbert Greer(son). there appears to be a few Greers in about the time of the Proscription act (1603) who remained in or near Scotland, and I think the descendants of Gilbert, Lancelot and Vedast are those, being that they were not the Title holders of the Barony but younger siblings. I have a few dead ends coming forward from the Lords of Lag that just seem to vanish from history, or rather their parish records have not been dusted off yet.

Kelly Greer
01-04-2009, 1:40 PM
Actually my e-mail address was altered by the moderators here. I entered it here as it is supposed to be written. So I can't claim credit for that.

I would be VERY interested to see these ship records that you mentioned here. Especially if there was any mention of my Thomas Greer. However Thomas would not have emigrated with his wife as she was born in either New York or New Jersey (according to census records) and also they were married in Peel County, Ontario, Canada, around 1840.

It's interesting that you mentioned the Ontario railroad. Several of the Greers in my family worked on building the railroad across Canada, including my great grandfather.

BTW - I have a copy of an old family group photo that was done back in the early days of photography (1875). This group photo has an INDIVIDUAL photo of ALL of the members of the Thomas Greer family. This is a large (8" x 11") photo that has INDIVIDUAL photographs of Thomas Greer and his wife as well as individual photographs of all twelve of their children (they all lived to adulthood which was uncommon in those days). From Mary (the first born child of Thomas and Ellen) who was 34 years old at the time to Albert A. Greer who was only nine years old at that time. It is labeled (at the top of the page) as "PORTRAITS of the Unbroken GREER FAMILY" and below that title was written "TAKEN IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1875". Thomas' photo is located on the upper Left side of this large photo. His wife's photo is on the Right side. In between those two is a column which gives the respective ages of all fourteen of them with the PARENTS names and ages at the top and below that the CHILDREN and their respective names and ages are all listed. Would you be interested in a copy of that? I could try to scan it and e-mail it to you.

joette
01-04-2009, 4:45 PM
Thanks for that JL I have not persevered much with this line pre the !800's preffering the more recent events of the family.I had no idea that Gilbert went as far back as that in the Greer lineage.They are a long lived line & the only thing which seems to carry them off early is accident or War.They were Farmers & then my line & his brothers were Stonemasons.
Kelly I know Boise fairly well having family living there-transplants from Utah.

Hall/Swan
13-04-2009, 7:38 PM
More useless info for you!!|nutkick|

Glennan Pres. MARRIAGE 22ndJuly1872 John Thompson son, Hamilton Thompson, Cormeen, Derrynoose Parish, Co. Armagh, Marr. Martha Greer daughter of Robert Greer, Drumgar, Derrynoose Parish, Co.Armagh witnesses Margaret Greer + Rev John Davidson Rev E.J. Simpson

Glennan Pres. BIRTH 30th Jan 1822 Mary daughter of Joseph + Ellen Greer, Tullyard, Donagh

Glennan Pres. MARRIAGE 4th Aug 1870 James Greer (Officer, Inland Revenue) son, John Greer, Glasgow, Bawny Parish,Renfrewshire, Scotland, MARRIED Jeanie McKay daughter of George McKay of Portinaghy, witnesses Foster McKay + Bill Smith Rev William McIlwaine

William Greer
02-09-2009, 8:47 AM
I live in Portland, Oregon. I am descended from Alexander L. Greer (b. County Down 1806), who (according to his obit) emigrated to the US around 1815 with his mother (name unknown), brother Thomas, and sister Esther. The family first lived in Cincinnati OH. ALG's obituary states that as a youth he visited nearby Oxford OH; I have info about a lot of Greers there but do not know when they immigrated or from what location. Shortly after arriving, ALG and his family moved to Covington KY, just across the river from Cincinnati. Esther married Allen Culbertson and remained in Covington. ALG became a prominent industrialist/businessman in Covington. ALG and Nancy Cox had James (b. ~ 1830 and who remained in Covington). In sequence, the line continues with William (b. 1864), Leonard (b. 1901), William (b. 1926), and me (b. 1948William Jr). I'm trying to find the names of ALG's parents and the place in County Down where the family lived before emigrating.

Kelly Greer
03-09-2009, 2:42 PM
Kelly,

Yes that last post of mine was prior to to me emailing you ( I was in a hurry at the time and had not caught the email at the bottom, I believe your ruse to evade the spammers is perhaps too good ;) )

Thanks you for those tidbits though, I will get back to you soon in more detail. I have sourced the ship log for the greers moving up the St lawrence in 1823, after landing in Quebec, with them are some Porters, a R. Craig ( perhaps Rebecca?..or maybe a Robert Craig seems to come to mind), some Armstrongs and other names affiliated with the early Ontario Greers. Unfortunately there is only a mention of 115 settlers on the 'Brig Mary' that landed in Quebec, from Ireland, at that time.

From what I have gathered via the other Greer descendants of the area, and some Armstrong descendants, Thomas Greer came after that wave in 1823. I believe I have seen a ship log for him Ellen,in the 1830s, but am not certain I made a note of it, will have to search for it again.

as to why they came in 1823- there was a huge push to colonize Ontario after the war of 1812, and Ireland was nto faring well with the Potato Famine coming on , among other turmoils of the times especially in Ulster ( the birth of the IRA etc). I think it was bountiful in Ontario at first, and those first settlers did very well, but after a few decades of mass immigration our ancestors were compelled to head westward to find better lands. Also, another reason for their migration is one of our forefathers, Albert E. Greer, was a founding board member of the Ontario Pacific railroad and a lot of our relatives followed its progression towards Seattle and British Columbia, building the tracks, tressels, & bridges and running the railroads.

I would still like to find out more on what you referenced here about these ship logs from 1823. Can you please tell me where I might be able to see these for myself? Thanks

Kelly Greer
03-09-2009, 2:49 PM
Kelly,

I would still like to find out more on what you referenced here about these ship logs from 1823. Can you please tell me where I might be able to see these for myself? Thanks

JLGreer
06-09-2009, 8:12 AM
Hi Kelly,
My apologies
it's been a hectic last six months and I put alot of stuff on hold.

Here is the notes I kept of the important figures on that trip. You can source the information at Shiplists on the net, or via the microfilm label listed.

Quebec - 10th trip up, Quebec to Montreal, June 30th 1824

Ticket Number No. | Passengers Names Names | Cabin C | Steerage St | (destinations) Three Rivers 3R | Berthier B | Montreal M | Amount (of fare in /s/d) F | Amount Paid (in /s/d) P | Remarks Remarks

11-12 O. Porter & daughter x x 1/-/- 1/-/-
13-15 Samuel Porter & wife & one child under 12 years x x 1/5/- 1/5/-

60-61 E. Grier & two children,. one above 12 & one under 12 years x x 1/5/- 1/5/- Greir / Greer
62-64 William Grier & wife & one child under 12 years x x 1/5/- 1/5/-
65-69 A. Grier & wife & E. McGlachlan (McLachlan) & two children under 12 years x x 2/-/- 2/-/-
70-71 P. Armstrong & wife x x 1/-/- 1/-/-

135-136 D. Atkins & F. Armstrong x x 1/-/- 1/-/-

140-144 John O'Neil & wife & two sons (above 12 years) & C. Armstrong x x 2/10/- 2/10/-

146 A. Grier x x -/10/ -/10/-

148 R. Craig x x -/10/- -/10/-
149-156 Grier & wife & six children, four above 12 & two under 12 years x x 3/10/- 3/10/- Greir / Greer

160-164 J. Greer & wife & three children under 12 years x x 1/15/- 1/15/- Greir / Grier | see no. 274

173-174 Matthew & George Greer x x 1/-/- 1/-/- Greir / Grier

184-190 Mrs. Greer & six children, five above 12 & one under 12 years x x 3/5/- 3/5/- Greir / Grier

274 one child under 12 years (J. Greer's) x x -/5/- -/5/- see no. 160-164

source: National Archives of Canada MG 28, III, 57 - Reel M-8275 vol 21

Also here is snip from Ginny Haysom's post on the Greer forums-

Joseph, William, Henry, George (my ancestor, with wife and child), Alexander, James (with wife and 5 children), Mathew, Robert and a 2nd Joseph (with wife and 5 children) left Ireland in the spring of 1824, all adult men who applied for free land grants.
According to my father, Joseph, William, Henry and a younger brother Thomas were all brothers; I surmise that the others were related as cousins.
William and Alexander came with letters of recommendation from the parish minister in Bailieboro, Cavan County, Ireland, which are filed with their land applications.

Alexander's application for land stated that he had arrived on June 24th 1824. According to the Quebec Mercury and the Montreal Gazette, the only vessel to dock at Quebec City on that day was the Brig Mary sailing from Newry, Ireland (closest port to Bailieboro). From Quebec City, the group proceeded up the Saint Lawrence via the Saint Lawrence Steamboat Company sailing on the 'Quebec' to Montreal on June 30th (LAC microfilm M8275, vol.21).

-Ginny Haysom 2008

Regards,
Jerry

carsongreer
23-04-2012, 7:30 PM
My name is Carson Greer. my line of Greers seem to intersect with yours. My fathers name is Stuart Greer, his father was Carson, his father was Campbell, his father was Thomas, who came over from Ireland, (Sligo County) along with his father, John Alexander. I was recently near Oso Ontario, and was looking at some gravesights, I found John Alexanders gravestone, along with his wife Brigette, as well as Thomas, and his wife mary Anne Conboy. Also there was Johns son's John's gravestone, with another close by that was very faded, but I could see the word Maria, I wasnt quite sure who she was. Hope this helps a bit. Carson

Jan1954
23-04-2012, 7:45 PM
Hello Carson - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Sadly, JLGreer has not visted the forum for a couple of years although they are still a member. If you click on their user name, a drop-down menu appears. Perhaps by sending them a private message or email you will be able to make contact. :smile5:

wilfin
26-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Now that I have introduced myself, I would like to put forward a hypothesis I am working on, for while trying to trace my Greer lineage back through Canada to Ulster, I have built a database of every Greer/Greir/Grier/Greear I could find in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, And Nova Scotia, and some in the New England area for the period of the late 1700s to the late 1800s. in my search for my immediate line I have pondered this theory below- are the familes of early Ontario Greers immediately related, I have searched for each one of them to connect them back to Ireland, severlal I have proven but several I have had no such luck on. In my notes I had a loose family of Greers from Ireland, and not until I realised I had the family of Thomas Greer who married Ellen Maria MacDonald and migrated to Ontario in my database, did this give some light to my theory...had the other brothers and sister of this family also relocated to Canada?

from my notes-

from a WorldConnect source, Willaim Greer's children with Ann(1765-1811) were John (b abt 1765), William Greer (b ABT 1786), Susannah Greer (b ABT 1790), 3 unnamed daughters born 1792, 1795, and 1796 (I feel that any of these could be sons), Ann Greer (b abt 1799), and Joseph Greer (b abt 1802), the children of William Greer with Margaret (1770-1833) are listed as Margaret Greer (b abt 1812), and Thomas Greer (b 1815) who married Ellen Maria MacDonald and resided in Ontario.

here is my working thesis on the above children from my notes-

I've been piecing this puzzle together for the last few months and at the present all the pieces are falling into place nicely, the one link that the family info from WorldConnect provides is the one marriage given for the son Thomas Greer who married Ellen Maria McDonald and this family lived in Ontario in 1851:

These are, I believe , the children of William Greer via Ann(1765-1811)& Margaret (1770-1833 m. 1811)-John Greer born ABT 1785 (I've found no info as of yet), William Greer born ABT 1786 (I've found no info as of yet), Susannah Greer born ABT 1790( again no info yet), Possibly child- George Greer born 1792 m. Margaret 'Mary' Dunbar(b. 1800) in 1834 ( her second marriage, Dunbar is her late husbands name) Mathew Greer born 1796 m Susanna Henderson in 1827, James Greer born 1797 m. Sarah Dewert in 1827 and later Rebecca Craig (probably around 1836), Ann Greer born 1799 m. Joseph Thompson (b. 1790) in 1825, Joseph Greer born 1801/02 m Sally Ann Armstrong in 1827, Margaret Greer born 1812 m. Thomas Crosson (b. 1803) in 1834, Thomas Greer Born 1815(d. 1876) m. Mary Welch(d. 1834)in 1832 and later Ellen Maria McDonald.
(source: South-Central Ontario Baptism, Burial & Marriage provided vital information for these marriages, the birthdates are gleamed from later census records)

The above is a working thesis of the early pioneering Greer families of Ontario, one will note that the marriages of 1825-1828 are uncanny to say the least, but by pure luck I happened on the family at WorldConnect (at present, it's the only source I have found with parents for any of them) that had all of these children of William's names in the proper sequence to line up with the names of the Greers who all got married at or around the same time. Furthermore, the one child with decendancy in this family info WAS a family of the early Ontario area...Thomas and Ellen Maria McDonald. Another note, the family info has three unnamed daughters between the Susannah and Ann, with the birth dates lining up with in a year or two of the three children I have allotted , that being George(1792 exact date), Mathew(1796 date was 1794), and James (1797 was 1796), these are of course sons, but the date of their marriages and the proximity to the other descendants was to uncanny for me not to include for the time being until otherwise proven, that they were the missing unnamed children.

again the above children of William with Ann and with Margaret, are hypothetical (thats is, unsourced, unproven), but... they are Greer families who appear in the early Ontario records

welcoming any observations
thanks again
J.L.Greer

Hi my name is william finlay I live in New Zealand
i have a relative my great great grandmother was married to William Finlay early 1840s in county down area belfast ireland
Her Name was Anne Greer this is Listed on our family tree and the bible we have the death certificate of William Finlay Christchurch NZ
showing his father William a butcher of belfast mother Anne Greer
I have researched the greer family from proni in ireland and downloaded some gravestones from the area
Cannot find the death cert for william or anne only conclusion being maybe they went to canada or the us
or buried in an unmarked grave
I found evidence of the finlay family married to a Dalziel of County down
and a letter from the US to NZ quoting family members who had died and saying old Mr and Mrs finlay had passed away during the famine or possibly a cholera epidemic???
Still looking for their location
Look forward to you reply
Willie

christanel
26-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Hello Willie and a warm welcome to Brit-Gen

The Greer researchers have not been on the forum for quite a long time but if they have the same email addresses they could still receive notification of your post. You could try sending them a private message by clicking on their user nameand choosing 'private message' from the drop down menu. This also requires that their email address is still the same but worth a try maybe?

Good luck

Christanel